• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Belt Change..What am I doing Wrong?

K
Sorry for the simple question. I put a new belt on my wife's 2007 600 Summit. Took it for a quik spin today and the belt tightened right up on it. I thought I had the belt height adjusted properly, back of belt sitting flush with top of secondary clutch lip. The circular shim type adjuster on the face of the secondary, held in place by the three 10 mm bolts is what I used to adjust the belt height. Had the adjuster set on #5 to get it to proper level when I first put the belt on. When I rode the sled the belt tightend right up. I had to move the shim adjuster to #0 to get it to work properly. Rode it for a bit after that and it seemed okay. Dumb question I know but what did I do wrong. Do I have to set that shim adjuster to #0 when ever I put on a new belt? :confused: Thanks in advance guys:beer;

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
usually start at about #2, raise the rear of the sled run the machine for a few seconds and let the belt make a few turns, then recheck and adjust as necessary..good luck:beer;

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
your welcome.... 07 Summit 600 is an awesome machine. Bought mine for my kid, but I like to finish the day out on it. Going from my 800, my 600 rides like it's a hundred pounds lighter, like a dirt bike with skis:face-icon-small-hap

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
After you install your new belt you need to start up the sled and engage the clutch so the secondary fully collapses. For some reason on the Doo secondary when you take out the spreader tool the clutch stays seperated a little.
Once the clutch pops back adjust the deflection so the track barely spins...with the track off the ground.

K
After you install your new belt you need to start up the sled and engage the clutch so the secondary fully collapses. For some reason on the Doo secondary when you take out the spreader tool the clutch stays seperated a little.
Once the clutch pops back adjust the deflection so the track barely spins...with the track off the ground.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I read this same advice from an older thread and tried it this am. Got the shim set on #1 now and belt seems to be sitting exactly where it should be. Cheers:beer;

Premium Features