• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spindle Installation Q's...

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Ok so I got some 08 Dragon Spindles to replace my 05's....

Couple things:

1. The allan bolt (for the upper ball joint) is too short to fit in the new spindle. Probably a good 1/2 inch short maybe more. I guess I have to buy a longer bolt...is that made that long???

2. The bushings for the holes for the skis were not included with the purchase. Anybody use hardware stuff to rig this up...or should i just go to the dealer and get the right stuff....

Any input would be great...thanks guys :beer; ...Jack

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok so I got some 08 Dragon Spindles to replace my 05's....

Couple things:

1. The allan bolt (for the upper ball joint) is too short to fit in the new spindle. Probably a good 1/2 inch short maybe more. I guess I have to buy a longer bolt...is that made that long???

2. The bushings for the holes for the skis were not included with the purchase. Anybody use hardware stuff to rig this up...or should i just go to the dealer and get the right stuff....

Any input would be great...thanks guys :beer; ...Jack

I ran into the exact same problem when I did this update to my 05. You can order the '08 bolts from your dealer, or you should be able to get them at a hardware store, I just went through the dealer, they were about $3 a piece.

You should be able to get the sleeve loose from your 05 spindles with some WD-40 and a pair of vise grips.

The other thing you will need will be a set of spacers. I just went ahead and picked them up from the dealer also, didn't even bother looking. If you go through your dealer you will need a total of 4 spacers, 2 for each side.

All in all I think the parts total came in at about $16... You could probably pick up some stuff at the hardware store for less, but I prefer to get factory stuff myself.

Good Luck:beer;

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
Same as "Ford Guy" I did this mod as well to my 05 900 indeed longer Allen bolts not a problem at the hardware store. I made the spacers out of some round aluminum stock just cut to fit. I was concerned about the toe adjustment on the rod ends and how much I would be able to adjust however I recall had close to 3/4” of thread in the shaft. All has been good so far, have fun.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I tried getting those sleeves out....a pita for sure. MAybe some heat will help....I will try tonight when I get home....

Thanks guys....

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
Ya a few beers, they pop right out!

As I said cut my own spacers just to adjust the front ski stance, depends what you doing! Ran this all last season, also have my sway bar removed I don't ride much on the groomed trail, love the hills.

DSC01905.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
ss_badaz-

Thank you for the pics. Huge help....

I really dont think those spacers in my spindles are moving....ive tried heat, wd40, hammering, vise....etc. Just wont budge. MAybe I will just order some new ones...

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Got it all fixed up...

Was at the dealer and got the bushings and spacers....24 bucks for it all....everything is installed and ready for the snow...

thanks guys.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
glad yours is done and ready to roll ;)

man it will be 2-3 weeks till mine is done. but my 975 will be here next week yeee haaa :D

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Got it all fixed up...

Was at the dealer and got the bushings and spacers....24 bucks for it all....everything is installed and ready for the snow...

thanks guys.

Not too bad a deal for a totally different front end feel:eek::D:beer;

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
glad yours is done and ready to roll ;)

man it will be 2-3 weeks till mine is done. but my 975 will be here next week yeee haaa :D

I cant wait to see the pics BIGGDAWG....please post once that bad boy is ready for snow....:beer;:beer;

Not too bad a deal for a totally different front end feel:eek::D:beer;

Yes not bad...but i did pay 85 for the 08 spindles....so the total for it all was about 110 bucks....which I thought was pretty good. I hope the steering effort is cut down a lot now!!

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Feel free to come on over and get mine out of the trailer and start on it, since yours is done....;)

I've got some '10 spindles coming as well as new pistons to install, fuel tank float update thing, grade 8 bolts, few more vents, still pondering over the shock issue.... It is July isn't it??????

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Feel free to come on over and get mine out of the trailer and start on it, since yours is done....;)

I've got some '10 spindles coming as well as new pistons to install, fuel tank float update thing, grade 8 bolts, few more vents, still pondering over the shock issue.... It is July isn't it??????

Ive already had my fair share of headaches this offseason.....but htanks for the offer;)

I think were just past July actually.....:rolleyes:

Premium Features