• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo apex or another 2 stroke

E
Oct 18, 2009
Hey,

New to sno-west forums, but thought I would give it a try. I am thinking about getting a new sled this year and have a couple questions. 1. Has Yamaha changed anything in the apex since 06? 2. I am 6' 10 and 280 lbs, and leaning towards a turbo'd APEX, but have heard people having issues boon-docking these through the tree's. You APEX guys who have ridden both the 2 strokes and the 4 strokes, is the APEX a whale to ride, and hard to tool around in the tree's? Also if there is no changes, I may try and buy a hold-over or used turbo sled to save some coin. Trying to make up a decision to go with a 4 stroke or 2 stroke and need to make up my mind fast!!! Da Snow is comin quick. Thanks for the help

Y

yamboosta

Dec 5, 2007
Sedro-Woolley
:eek:wow if i weighed 280 I would definately get a apex turbo.BTW I only weigh 155. I am selling my tapex to build a new turbo nytro. Good luck cr

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I'm 215lbs w/o gear. I have an T-Apex right now but am selling it and building a Nytro. I loved loved loved my Apex for boonin in the trees. They are heavy but they are so well balanced you really don't notice the extra weight. I did not find it bulky at all except when jumping but thats not really what they're made for.

It was a dream to carve in the trees and didn't matter if your going slow or have it spooled right up.

My .02
:beer;

And I have one for sale :)

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
x2 on what prairie dog said, i'm a short guy and weigh 180 and don;t have much problems, noticeably a bit more tired at the end of the day but its not a big deal.

J

jpower6

Sep 14, 2009
I used to ride an apex and absutely loved it! I got myself on a nytro now but really just because they are better set up for jumpin.. But I am a 6'3" 220 pound 19 year old and I actually like the way the apex handles and feels over everything else, even in the trees! They are just as good IMO as any other long track at boondockin.. And I still jumped the crap out of it even though it's "heavy".. And actually my twin brother is stickin with the apex... So there ya go!

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Why would you want heavy a sled? opps... I didn't mean heavy, I meant fourstroke.

Thanks for the constructive feedback twostroke. Why are you lurking in the Yammi 4 stroke/turbo section? Eceldrill, in my opinion, the Apex is a good booner thru the trees. I have had both a lightened stocker and a turbo and both do quite well. My only complaint in the trees is when having to go very slow and you get a bit "off camber", you have to use a little more muscle than some of the 2 strokes that I have rode (M8, very modded/lightened Mtn Max). Otherwise, the Apex should be a great fit for you at your size and weight. Very well balanced and love the smooth. consistent throttle control in the trees and tight spots. The Apex really responds as long as you keep it moving! The Impulse turbo has no lag and really matches well with the Apex. Good luck.

E
Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for all the input.... Has Yamaha changed anything in 2010? the best I can tell is hand warmers. For that matter has the Apex changed very much since 2006?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well I have a apex mtx,all timbersled,took 96 pounds off of her. made parts myself out of billet alumium and titanium (i have a shop) run a 174 2.5 ect ect. I also have a full custom polaris,every part possible in carbon fibre. It weighs on my race scales 422 lbs full to the brim with fuel ready to ride,217hp 903 in her.

this is how it is,I ride about 4500 miles a year, the 2 stroke in the trees boondocking will leave the apex for dead,about 100 times easier to boondock with and we go really sick places. (watch Billys dvd from cook city..lol) I would not even try some of our rides on the apex.
when doing all other riding and chutes ect the Apex rules !! amazing to ride in deep deep powder. i can sidehill her for miles if need be,just so so much fun.circles in 6 ' of snow...lol...amazing!! not even gunna coment about chutes u know the answer already,, diggin it out? that fat whale is horrible.... hohoho....not good i'm 6'7" and 275, still a chore.

well thats how I sum it up,IMHO you need both kinds of sled.

if doing only 1?? custom lightweight turbo nytro would be my choice

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
yup ive ridden 2 and it is a great sled..id do a 156 2.5 track and set her at about 300 hp..I belive it would do everything really well. I would NOT set it up as a 174 hillclimb sled they are just to specialized to do much else. I even rode a (if i remember) a 140ish 2010 nytro xtx? in the hills...could turn on a dime and actually did ok in powder..well being careful not to slow down much...lol...156 16 2.5 would be great i think

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I think with your size, you wouldn't have to go around many trees on a Tapex! :D I liked mine, but now have a Nytro. Haven't ridden it yet so don't know if I'll like it or not! :beer;

L
Jan 2, 2008
Cranbrook BC
Thanks for all the input.... Has Yamaha changed anything in 2010? the best I can tell is hand warmers. For that matter has the Apex changed very much since 2006?

The only things they have changed are the racks at the back, big plastic one to small flat metal one. Fox floats on the front of the newer ones, and the special additions had floats too. That’s about it.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I think with your size, you wouldn't have to go around many trees on a Tapex! :D I liked mine, but now have a Nytro. Haven't ridden it yet so don't know if I'll like it or not! :beer;

lol I try but not good....tree well a bit of a bad stick for me...lol

would not think you could snap a ski in half, guess you can?? killed a arm 2 only 18 miles to truck..lol

T
Dec 26, 2008
Saskatchewan
Well I'm 6'6 and 300 and ride a nytro turbo it isn't bad in the trees but it doesn't boondock like a 2 stroke.Not really a fair comparison though as mine has a 162 16 2.5 and longest 2 stroke I rode in the trees is a 155 polaris.Also rode an apex no turbo it was good as long as there is lots of snow.It all depends on snow conditions.Marginal snow the 2 stroke eats the 4 stroke in the trees deep snow the 4 stroke works good.If all you're doing is playing in the trees I wouldn't spend the money on the turbo:eek:,I still like the yammies so don't jump all over me,they are in their element in the steep and deep. The power is addicting though,and I wouldn't want to get too far from the truck with a 260hp+ 2 stroke.:DHope this helps you out.
p.s. the 2010 nytro looks like a sweet ride a little lighter and already has the 162.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Nope the ski wreck was a off camber jump that went bad, stuffed it about 2 feet deep into frozen road surface...lol....as me wife says " Bill your jumps are spectacular, ur landings....not so much"...lmao.....its all good :p

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Apex

Killer deal on Titanium Turbo Apex in Swapmeet. have the boondocking and power, I believe 11500cdn, and 500lbs.
I have a T Nitro and yes challenging in the trees, but like anything it takes a little time to learn.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
How could you ever go wrong with a sweet 4 cylinder turbo I just like that motor period . With a 15 wide track and 1" shorter frond spindles the Handlebars 2" forward and 2" higher all set up for the rider it is almost at par with the Nytro for how it turns in the trees ----and it has the sweet motor:face-icon-small-hap

wheresthesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Kennewick, WA
I dont know how thick the trees are where you ride but I think the Apex will be really good. Like said before, theyre not the best in hard snow but in any kind of powder they are really good, especially if you dial in the rear suspension or lighten the whole thing up a bit. And with a turbo it would be tons of fun. I have a M8 also, and I actually get more tired riding the M8. Having both with turbos would be sweet.

Premium Features