• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bike discussion

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
My 2 cents

I started snowbiking with an 09 CRF450R, than an 11 300 XC and now a 19 Husky FX450.

IMO, a 450 MX/CC bike is the best snow specific bike, by far. I've ridden the 500 and it has good torque but I hit the rev limiter like crazy. 2000-3000 RPM less RPM to work with is annoying. The wide ratio box is also worse on snow IMO. I much prefer the close ratio. The 450s have more top end power, so don't confuse engine size with power.

However, a 450 makes the worst trail bike, by far. Awful IMO.

The thing no one else mentioned is the 4 strokes don't start in the cold during transport. My Husky makes me nervous if it rides in the back of the truck and its less than 10 F. I usually use my enclosed trailer just to eliminate no starts. I've had it not start below zero after an hour drive, even with a jump pack. Its a pain in the butt and something I never had to worry about with sleds. So, I recommend an enclosed trailer.

I put my Timbersled on my 300 XC and I fixed the cold start problem. Added a primer and it started right up below zero. My problem with the carb was running consistency. I had a carb heater but it always varied throughout the day. Never figured it out and gave up on it. When it ran good it was fine. Less power than a 450 but it still got around well. You just rode it like a 125 and do a lot more shifting and clutching.

Obviously the flip side is the 300 is the best trail bike, by far.

I would be interested to see how the TPI or now TBI would compare. I would much rather have the new TBI setup and premix personally. Also, even the XC gearbox was gappy. The SX would be nice but your top speed would be super low.

I'm half tempted to try a TBI, mostly because I'm a 2T guy anyway.

The 500 is probably the best compromise single purpose bike. Its very capable on single track and way better than a 450. Its not as good as the 450 on snow, but it still works well.

My ratings, Snow/Dirt

300 = 5/10
450 = 10/2
500 = 8/6

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Let me know if you want to go riding. I live just up from Silver Creek... Have a couple snow bikes and snowmobiles. Last year was my first year on a bike -- I have a 2019 Yamaha YZ450.
--Steve

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I had the Selkirk. It weighs almost nothing. It just looks big and bulky (and it is) but it only weighs a few pounds.
I found it to be bulky and heavy. Side access was not great either, only the top half of the sides comes off with quick fasteners. Multiple small fasteners need to be removed to get real good side access. Those 1/4 turn quick fasteners fail as well.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I found it to be bulky and heavy. Side access was not great either, only the top half of the sides comes off with quick fasteners. Multiple small fasteners need to be removed to get real good side access. Those 1/4 turn quick fasteners fail as well.

Agreed on most points. I only had it for a short time, and I found it to have issues. I must have bumped a log or something and the whole thing got twisted and the side panels never went on right after that. I got rid of it and wouldn't get another one for the reasons you cited.

The only thing I disagree (somewhat) is the weight. If you actually lifted the whole selkirk system up it was only a couple pounds. Less than my tool pack.

Looking at the system before buying it I was worried it would weigh 10 pounds, and so when people ask if it is heavy I always assume they are asking if it is really heavy, like 10lbs+. And it isn't, its lighter than it looks.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I had the Selkirk. It weighs almost nothing. It just looks big and bulky (and it is) but it only weighs a few pounds.
wow you need to get scale its very heavy and bulky and precludes motor access especially on the mountain.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Wow ,you need to get scale its very heavy and bulky and precludes easy motor access especially on the mountain. its interesting how people ignore the product accuracy to justify their purchase, We have pulled all the Selkirk kits off many bikes and gone to Rev Up which weighs one pound per side and works flawlessly, We make a carbon front shields that fits around pipe that weighs 4 ounces so there's no snow entering the front of motor area , temps always hover 160-190. , Adding 15 useless lbs is a huge falter .

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Agree with byeatts, took my Selkirk off and designed something better. Significantly lighter, easier to work with, better access, and full frontal coverage on the bike to keep temps where they belong.

Ktm 2 cover.jpg Ktm cover.jpg Yamaha 2 cover.jpg Yamaha cover pic.jpg

Premium Features