• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit Riser?

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
I've read several threads on here and saw all sorts of lengths that people are getting. A buddy of mine has a 2002 Summit and all we could get on it was a 3 inch riser and that was TIGHT. I'm thinking he needs to extend the throttle cable and brake line... but how about the wiring? I saw someone say they used a front brake line off of a KX 125 dirt bike and it worked great. Anyone know of a throttle cable that will work so we don't have to use an extension? Will we have to cut all the wiring to lengthen it or just certain wires. Any help is appreciated.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
We've got (3) 02 summits. The first one has cat bars, with all stock wires/cable/line. The second has a Oles 4" riser block, Only had to extend the brake line, but all the wires and throttle are at their absolute max. The last one has 3"? rox pivot risers with just a brake line as well.

If you want to go higher that that, you have to extend everything, all the wires, brake and throttle. I'm 6'3" and can ride any of these 3 sleds comfortably, i don't understand the need for 6-10" risers everyone uses on a sled like the ZX which leans over and carves easily.

S
Nov 26, 2007
North Dakota
Two years ago i put an eight inch riser on my 02. I used a powermadd throttle extension and a longer brake line, but i don't remember who i bought that from. I know for a fact that you don't need to lengthen any wires all you need to do is unsnap the wiring harness where it is attached to the plastic, beside the steering post under the hood. This will give you more than enough wire to work with.

Two years ago i put an eight inch riser on my 02. I used a powermadd throttle extension and a longer brake line, but i don't remember who i bought that from. I know for a fact that you don't need to lengthen any wires all you need to do is unsnap the wiring harness where it is attached to the plastic, beside the steering post under the hood. This will give you more than enough wire to work with.

How much extra play did you have in the longer brake line??? I am thinking of putting on a 9" riser and don't know if the longer brake line is long enough. I am running a 7" right now but is too short...

If you want to go higher that that, you have to extend everything, all the wires, brake and throttle. I'm 6'3" and can ride any of these 3 sleds comfortably, i don't understand the need for 6-10" risers everyone uses on a sled like the ZX which leans over and carves easily.

I am 6'3" as well and there is no way that you can stand upright without bending at the waist with a 3-4" riser! The reason you need a higher riser isn't a control thing but a comfort thing. If you can stand straight up, you have less fatigue on your back, arms and most importantly your legs as you don't have to half squat to absorb bumps. The thing that really makes a difference is if you can stand straight up, you don't have to lift your head up so high to get a good view of the path that you are taking...

ALSO... when you are going downhill with short bars, it is much harder to properly distribute your weight to make sudden movements... the short bars always will pull you forward causing you to hunch...

Go higher and you will NEVER go back to lower... it is like a dog trying to hump a football (for the visual people in the crowd!) :beer;

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I run an 8" PowerMadd riser and their throttle extension cable, stock brake cable, unbundle the wires. On an 02 HMX.

Jay Big Horns 1-24-08 .JPG sled on trailer 053.JPG 053.jpg

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I'm in the middle of going higher on my 02 summit x . Ordered a new throtle cable that is 8" longer than stock I think the cost is around $15.00 cheaper than throtle ext.Should pick it up tomorrow and let you know.

T
Nov 26, 2007
On my 03 I went with a longer throttle cable 89.99 cdn at mountain magic in edmonton have had issues with the power madd ext kit and they run 40 to 50 dollars depending where you get them. A rev breakline is 4inches longer then a stock line on the 02/03 you should be fine with that, if your going taller like Alberta boy you probably need to find one that is longer. Or go get your legs shortened.

Premium Features