• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake line extension

G
Nov 2, 2020
Going to be putting a extended brake line on my machine and was wondering if anyone had tips on what to do and how to bleed the system. Going to a pivot style adjustable riser and not sure if I have to extend the electrical as well, my first time doing anything like this soo any info would be much appreciated! The throttle extension looks easy but the brake to mee seems like a tough job lol

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's a pretty simple, one-man job, unlike bleeding brakes on a car (without a special setup anyway, and even those often don't work the best). I'd dump out any old fluid where you can (not sure if you have any of the pieces off, but dump them out if you do), blow the lines out with compressed air, and then hook it all back up. Then fill the reservoir and put a rubber line on the bleeder going into a catch can. Then give the brake lever a couple pumps and hold it, loosen the bleeder until the lever drops to the stop, and tighten the bleeder again before you release the lever. You'll probably only be able to do that a time or two before you need to add fluid to the reservoir. Add fluid and repeat the process until you stop getting bubbles out of the bleeder line and the brake lever stops feeling mushy; ideally go another cycle or two just to make sure you got all the air out.

I'd say the biggest thing, besides obvious stuff like using fresh fluid and making sure everything's assembled correctly, is keeping the reservoir full and not releasing the lever until the bleeder is seated again (it doesn't have to be any more than finger tight, really, but if you release the lever and it's not seated, it'll pull air right back in). On the throttle, make sure it works smoothly and doesn't have any tendency to catch or hang. Hung throttles hurt more people than brake failures...

Premium Features