• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Budget 900 king cat build

S
Dec 2, 2007
Looking for some help guys... Just bought my first Cat(sold the REV!)and she's in need of some repairs. 2004 King Cat carb 162", the guy I bought it from just put on Jaws twins, from what I can tell they are the D pipes. He stuck the mag side piston, breaking it and bent the connecting rod after a few rides due to improper jetting and no EGT gauges. The bottom of the case has a small hole punched through on the mag side as well, I 'm sure that can be welded. I'm wondering the best way to do this motor and keep the cost's down. I live in Northern AB so I'll probably take the motor to a local speed shop like Split Second or the Mod shop. Should a guy punch it out a bit (I'm told you can go to a 1000cc) or just leave it stock bore and port the case and the jugs and run the jaws pipes, either way I'm gonna run the pipes and the jugs have to get sent out. I just want a good pullling sled that will be reliable and since I don't get out all that much anymore I want to keep the $$ down. Also the attack 20 is getting changed, what's the best track to run? I was thinking Extreme 2.5"x15"? I paid a $1000 for the sled and the pipes, I want to try and keep it under $5K.

Thanks in advance:beer;

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I don't know what you should do with your motor, but if it was me, I would go with a 162x16"x2.5" challenger, I have one on my king and I really like it.
Hope this helps
Trent

S
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks Trent, This machine has HRP drop brackets which I'm not sure if is good or bad, 16" looks tight betweent the bolts on the brackets, but I suppose I could change or grinde down the bolt head. It also came with Rox Risers and just playing with it in the garage the steering post seems soft and wants to bend if you pull hard on it to simulate a hard side hill, any thoughts?

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
If u want bigbore do the 999 from ralph at Split second. Dunno about ur case, camo xtreme, not worth doin the 16 wide on it. good clutching,gearing, and spray

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Alot of guys run a sledjunky's drop bracket that will help clear the 16 wide, on my sled I have a bigger upper idler wheel so it clears no problem without running a drop bracket. From my old 15 wide track to my challenger 16 wide, it was night and day difference, or at least it was on my sled.
As for a steering post, I used to have the same setup you did with a 2" rox riser, then I went with a wildchild forward mount with a built in 2" rise and it helped out alot i thought. Before I put it in, I was told to go to a hardware store and pick up some fiberglass resin, mix it up, and pour it down the post, and it really helped stiffen it up alot. Then I put a 2" riser block on top of that and it was perfect for me, I'm 6'2".

Trent

S

stock suks

Apr 25, 2008
mt
i personally like my king chassis so i dont know that your wasting your time, unless you were real comfy on your rev chassis this one might not feel right not being so rider forward, but a steering post does help..pm me if you want a couple motor options other than what you have...i run a d&d 1010 in my king have 1000 speedwerx for sale out of a mtn cat and a stock 900 out of a wrecked king

Last edited:
P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
i recommend a new steering post. Mine broke, not fun.

it won't be reliable with the twins( unless you enjoy changing jets every time you ride). i don't think it's worth the 8-10 hp gain.

change the bearings on the driveshaft, and the chain and gears.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
I agree that you have to change jets most days, but after you get your sled tuned in and understand it its not that bad. You will probably have 3 sets of jets and go between those 3. I ran and 800 mtn cat for 3 years with jaws pipes and it wasn't to bad. You wont have any probelms welding the case together. I JB welded mine together one time when I was in a pinch. 1200 miles later she still ran like a champ. I dont recomend it, but welding the case is no problem and should be done fairly cheap.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Forward post from CR, 16x2.5 extreme (your drop brackets with bigger idlers work great), bigbore kit using M1000 pistons (975), Boss seat, CR tunnel extension kit, lightweight hood, and run the bag off it. These chassis were fun and with this track it will be a tractor in the deep and the big bore still makes it fast on the hill. Go with the ATAAC compensator and forget about jets, used one for 2 years with PSI 1080 in same chassis. Setup right they work better than EFI.

F
Oct 4, 2008
On my 04 KK I used the 16x162 Maverick, it was O.K. but I would not recommend it although the 16 wide cleared no problem. I also had a CPI single and V force reeds with an EGT and a Vari-flo. I did like the vari-flo and gauge and it solved any of my jetting problems.

S
Dec 2, 2007
M1000 pistons will work in 900 jugs? How far can you punch out the 900 jugs? The other thing I was wondering is the crank, should I sent it out or get a rebuilt one? With the bent con rod I'm thinking it might be out of phase. Do I need to get it welded?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You can use the M1000 pistons in the 900 cylinders, makes it a 975. You have to shim up the cylinders though. You can go to a 1010 on the stock cylinders with weisco pistons.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Dude if your close to Split Second there is not other kit than the 999. Period. Definately call Ralphy and talk to him some. Do some searching on here and there are a lot of forum members who have or have had 999's.

Spoon has some good advice. Forward steering, a seat, ATAAC, and a track. Whole new machine with just those mods. The bigbore makes it fun.

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
Reeb is right about the Split Second 999 kit. I've been running one for a few years that Bob Snydmiller (Mad Max Performance) put together. Pulls hard with absolutely no issues. You've already got the pipes for it so it should meet your budget. I use the ATACC on mine too.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for all the input guys, I talked to Ralph the other day, I'll have to quiz him again on the 999. What kind of HP does it make with the jaws D pipes?

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not sure what he claims. I've heard that his dyno is pretty conservative. You'll have to give him a call and ask. Are you planning on setting it up for pump gas or race gas?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The power claw is the ONLY way to go. I rean a 16 wide on mine king and now a powerclaw. Night and day difference. the claw rules!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
punched case

Unless you have someone on hand that's real savy on how to weld the cases and not warp them, do a real uptown job with JB weld or similar and you will not have issues with the case hole. This motor when braking likes to perforate cases ?
I've seen too many crank issues 600 miles after welding, difficult and maybe impossible to keep cases perfectly straight once you throw the heat to them.

This old style chassis maybe a little step back after the REV, but them I see guys tooling around in old GTO's...........so ?

Premium Features