• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

retarded mechanics

Y
Feb 5, 2009
hey I was wondering if anyone has and tech no how for me here. I have a 2007 ford ranger fx4 with roughly 40 thousand K's on it. well I took it in for a brake inspection and to my suprise the dude tells me that I got a tir rod end goin and my right upper and lower ball joints a f*cked. Basicaly the guy told me that my tire was ready to fall off.... so i lifted it up at home and shook the tire around a bit and like I saw nothing wrong... the right side tire moves up and down like 1/2 in or so and doesnt toe out or in at all... so like ****... no clunks or weird noises... so I got my dad to talk to one of his friedns who knows this knida stuff and he told me a god place to got for a seccond oppinion. because like 40 thound k... thats retarded if it went. so i take it to this guy and he tells me theres nothin wrong with it and that the other shop was just tryin to ripppp me off. so like wtf. if any one has any thought on the toppic or knows front ends well i'm all ears:beer; I would also like to know if anyone else has encountered problems with this on there rangers and at what mialage.. thanks guys

K
Dec 15, 2007
you didn't by chance just by tires from the first guy did you? I have been told that same thing (was on a 97 F150) when I bought new tires. They tried telling me my front end needed work and alignment. I took it somewhere else and there was nothing wrong with it.

If things are wore out in the front end, you would have play when off the ground.

Y
Feb 5, 2009
No I didn't buy tires from that priticular place. but I found that funny at the time also b/c I did buy a new set of tire for my truck not to long agoe and the guys at the tire shop never said anythign about my front end so its really weird that it would wair so fast after that ahaha but ya same deal other shop says theres nothing wrong:confused: retarded!!! like I mean the truck is def wairing in a bit as when off the ground there is some play( very small amount) and that to be expected as a truck getts older but to tell me that my tire was going to fall off is just wrong. people like that should be ashamed of them selfs:mad:

B

big_wally81

Jan 22, 2008
duluth minnesota
i depends on the spec that they went off of for the front end. ford has some very tight tolerances for their ball joints, the book pretty much says that if there is any wear at all they should be replaced. might not be a bad idea to replace them if there is movement with the tire off the ground, but they might also last another 40000 miles. i know that if you look at the maint. schedule for the superduty's it says to replace ball joints every 30000 miles. i think it is overkill but that is what the book says. that being said, if it is driving normally and not making any noise when going over bumps i would not replace them if it was my own.

Y
Feb 5, 2009
haha ye if the performance of the truck was to be comprimised , then I would def replace them but I def think they will last another 40 thousand K easy. Hey, do you happen to know roughly what it would cost to do the work at a shop?:confused:

Y
Feb 5, 2009
Yee ahah the trucks a rebuild so theres now worenty;) but it was ****ing cheap so you got a 12K dolla warenty window hehehe every onw in my family drives rebuilds:)

Y
Feb 5, 2009
Just writing quick replies between clients... not really worrying about accurate typing here man sorry. Didn’t realize our postings were being graded :beer;:confused:

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
I work on trucks/Cars for a living at a well known shop, the ford specs says "Any more than .20 of run-out is out of spec" It make a diffrence on how a truck is jacked up also, if you were to used a lift off the frame it will actually load that ball joint so it shows no or little movemnt. You are to jack to up back lower control arm or strait axle. One thing to ask that shop is " Is this a safty issue, will it wear tires, would you mind showing me the amount of movemnet" These are all things we would do.

Y
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you for some really good information rotax guy!!! The amount of movement on the right side is def over the spec. This being said I find it weird that I am not noticing and differences in the handling characteristics of the truck. I also haven’t noticed and irregular tread wear on my tires so I don’t know. And since you work at a shop, what would you say the average cost of repair would be for my problem? Thanks again for a really good reply. :beer;

Premium Features