• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode out of Avalanche (Moved from Mountain/Powder)

D
Dec 8, 2007
Thurs 1/15/09 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWnOTOp_zE

The fracture line was actually 20' above me and I didn't know what was going on behind me and didn't have the time to look. Before I went up I looked the hill over and decided to come down at an angle to my right (hills left) out of the full fall line. I only went fast enough to keep control and not sink into the snow and give me time to find my line. I did go to the right to drive out at the side of the slide but it is like swimming across a fast running river, you work with the current and pick at spot farther down. Don't try and go straight across, keep your sled level with the surface, don’t try and turn too sharply across the face, you could catch a ski or a wave could hit you from the side which could upset the s/m and maybe flip it over or bury it. If you look at the very end of the descent, to the left you see the slide ahead of me. If I would have come straight down or to the left I would have hit a wall of 10'-15'. I didn't want to wait the wave out because of not knowing what was behind me.

I have read everyones comments so far. I have over 40 yrs of continous snowmobile experience, 35 in the N/W Wyo area. I have operated a snowmobile tour business teaching thousands of people to operate a snowmobile for 18 yrs. I have made two instructional snowmobile riding programs for TV. I have served as an expert witness in two snowmobile accident court cases one involving 2 deaths. For 10 yr period I averaged 7000 mi a yr on a snowmobile. I owned and operated a snowmobile dealership for 16 yrs. I have personnally been involed in 3 avalanches in the 35 yrs of riding in the mountains. I have had a close friend die in a avalanche.

With all that being said, I posted this thread to inform and make aware of the potential risk we all take when we go into the mountains. We did have survival gear with us. I have never observed a significant slide on that hill face in 20 yrs of riding it. That particular mountain face area is over a mi long and I didn't see any slides along the whole face and I saw plenty of s/m climbing tracks on the hill faces on way up to that spot. I knew that the avalanche forcast for this area that day was considerable and I made a bad choice in hind site but most of the time we ride in Jan and part of Feb the forcast is moderate to considerable.
I thought about editing out the comments and talk in the video, It was adrenaline and relief talking and nothing else. My wife (she was the buddy on the other s/m I was waiting for before I started my climb) and I take s/m riding safety very seriously. I didn't have to post this and I know I will take criticism from some of you but it needed to be posted. Maybe this will save somebodys life

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Lucky sob

You are one lucky SOB. Glad you made it out but you were dang lucky that you didn't get launched off your sled or have it wash out in front of you.

Very interesting video.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
WOW are you lucky!!! And what scares me is that Snowpack did not look like it was going to go.

Huge open face in direct sunlight all day, with a crappy snowpack that keeps sliding.....how do you figure? At least you had lots of run away room, glad you're ok

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you are very lucky...did you notice where the trigger was? it was the thin snowpack right at the rocks sticking thru the snow......it broke right as you went by them......2 riders on 1 hill as well......hope you guys learned something......glad you are both ok....

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
That video gave me goosebumps... :eek:

I'll climb on 2000lb buckin bulls no problem, but avys scare the crap out of me. Glad this isn't another "Lost a buddy in an avalanche" thread.

And what scares me is that Snowpack did not look like it was going to go.
Orly? Taken an avy course recently?

Nov 26, 2007
golden BC
looks as though none of your riding buddies had back packs on so i assume they didn't have probes or shovels. had you been buried how much help would those riding partners be?

Premium Features