• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Economy and Access Issues

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
This is more of a hypothetical question or comment....

How do you think the struggling economy will affect environmental and access issues? I can' help but think it will be a positive factor for access.

It would seem to me that environmental groups will have less resources available to mount these challenges. While the same economic realities will hold true for groups that support access, I think the lack of resources will affect the opposition much more. Especially given that pro-access $'s are more often spent in defense of challenges.

Additionally, areas (and states) that cater to Snowmobiling will be more reliant on snowmobiling $'s, possibly changing some attitudes. I am thinking mostly of West Yellowstone, but I am sure this will play out across the country as well.

My opinion is that now is the time to double-down and really focus on getting areas back, as well as protecting existing areas.

There is nothing like an economic crisis to get people to snap back to reality.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
This is more of a hypothetical question or comment....

How do you think the struggling economy will affect environmental and access issues? I can' help but think it will be a positive factor for access.

It would seem to me that environmental groups will have less resources available to mount these challenges. While the same economic realities will hold true for groups that support access, I think the lack of resources will affect the opposition much more. Especially given that pro-access $'s are more often spent in defense of challenges.

Additionally, areas (and states) that cater to Snowmobiling will be more reliant on snowmobiling $'s, possibly changing some attitudes. I am thinking mostly of West Yellowstone, but I am sure this will play out across the country as well.

My opinion is that now is the time to double-down and really focus on getting areas back, as well as protecting existing areas.

There is nothing like an economic crisis to get people to snap back to reality.

I had to read an article in Outside magazine about the effects of wilderness on local economies - especially after the logging industry was decimated following litigation of protection of endangered animals. (http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200503/money-and-the-environment_1.html)

Basically just says that extractive resources don't really provide the economic benefits that recreation opportunities might.

Considering the source, it has some interesting points, traditional enviro diatribe. Worth the read but someday I hope both sides will realize that having both is possible. Sorry, a little off your subject.

F
Dec 1, 2007
NORTH BEND
Unfortunately the people that are going to be running the country for the next few years will nullify any perceived advantage we would gain out of this situation.

The enviros gave alot of $$ to Obama and his cronies and make not dought about it they want their payback. It's only at the local level were we may be able to stuff up the plumbing.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Unfortunately the people that are going to be running the country for the next few years will nullify any perceived advantage we would gain out of this situation.

The enviros gave alot of $$ to Obama and his cronies and make not dought about it they want their payback. It's only at the local level were we may be able to stuff up the plumbing.

Ah, Wisdom beyond his years. You hit the nail on the head Framus. We are going to spend the next few years "Receiving Change". Those at the pointy end of the pile don't give a hoot about us "Joes". (and "Janes")

If our leadership was differant, I believe you would have a valid point.

Bag

Premium Features