• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weld crankshaft on M1000 turbo

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
A friend off me are installing BD turbo on hes 09 M1000.
He have been in contact with one person how have built many turbos and he recommended to weld the crankshaft or set it in with locktite.
Are you guys doing this? Or do you nothing with the crankshaft?

Rogie1220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, Sask.
It's definitely wise to pin and weld the crank but I know there is lots out there running with stock cranks...watch your boost !!! I shot peened my rods and welded and pinned the crank while I had it apart for some repairs and case porting. It's just good insurance.

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
Thank you.
My friend will run on pump gas. I think it not will be a problem with to much boost and power with the pump gas.

Somebody else who take out the crankshaft when you are mounting turbo?

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I would not bother with welding it.

My thought on it is welding a crank is a band-aid for some other problem, something f-up with the trueness of the crank, clearances or harmonics in the bottom end can make life for your crank short. There should be enough pressure holding it together.

The biggest problem with the pump fuel set up is proper octane, the 1000 cats do not have a deto sensor in the engine management to safe guard against it. I would not want to rely on the posted octane of premium fuel, I have been ripped off before at the pumps. To much boost or a bad tank of fuel and it does not matter how you toughened up your engine. You are better off just spending the money on good fuel.

Just my opinion, a lot of engine builders weld cranks.

Premium Features