• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yamaha srv 540

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i got a free 87 srv from my wifes uncle it hadnt been ridden in 10 to 15 years but was stored inside. cleaned the carb got it running and then found it needed a ground from the engine to the frame to rev up. I plan to swap a 1.25 track onto it since the original track is almost flat from the 6500 miles its got on it. i pulled the seat to change the fuel filter in the tank and the seat is quite heavy wondering if anyone swapped a lighter seat on, and wondering about plastic skis for it. Ive got other sleds so this is just a play project and eventually a kids sled so not going to put much money into it but just looking to have some fun.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Interested in following as well for any mods that come up. A buddy and I picked up a matching pair of cherry 1980 Excell V sleds with the same 540 motors. For old sleds they are heavy, but to be fair these were the luxury models of the time so weighed down with some creature comforts. Need to change the clutching to match the SRV model for a little more performance. No hit on the bottom and almost non-existent backshift at the moment.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
i got a free 87 srv from my wifes uncle it hadnt been ridden in 10 to 15 years but was stored inside. cleaned the carb got it running and then found it needed a ground from the engine to the frame to rev up. I plan to swap a 1.25 track onto it since the original track is almost flat from the 6500 miles its got on it. i pulled the seat to change the fuel filter in the tank and the seat is quite heavy wondering if anyone swapped a lighter seat on, and wondering about plastic skis for it. Ive got other sleds so this is just a play project and eventually a kids sled so not going to put much money into it but just looking to have some fun.
I've seen pictures of modifed polaris seats/mounts on older sleds. It gives them some height and they should weigh significantly less than the stocker. You might think about traction for the running boards too, those old sleds used to get slicker than snot with some snow on them.

Premium Features