• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What else shoould i ask for or get or do before i ride my 21 hc

P
Dec 15, 2018
Going to pick up my new to me 21 h.c. today and we'll iam a noob so I just thought I'd ask if you wise guys could tell me of anything I should get at the dealer or ask them to do or stuff that I should check or things that have gone bad ect...I read about bad stuff but can't allways remember years and models. It's a 21 hardcore 155 with e-start. Has 600 something miles. I know guys talk about "snow ingestion " ? Thanks for any real world advice. Hopefully the basics are done by dealer but I'll try and double check to best I can. Any cool things you did to yours would be fun for me to research also lol. Thanks Charlie

A
Dec 21, 2018
Have them show you basic maintenance, not that you have to do much but track tension, removing hood, oil and fuel, changing belt. A good walk around if your new to snowmobiling is always nice. You can read up or look at YouTube videos but it's easier to have seen it in person.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Snow ingestion seems to be an issue for some with deep dry snow. It would be something I would put on my list to fix before you get into something like that. Im guessing you will be fine for awhile. Pretty easy mod Can also split the airbox apart and run rtv along the edges and seal it up. When you have hood off perfect time to smear some dielectric grease in the electrical connectors.

Im guessing you already gave it a good once over so thats settled?

Pick up some oil, spare belt, set of plugs. See what it has for a tool kit or at least the tool to get a belt off. Hopefully has manual.

Id ask the dealer if they will help you set up the suspension for your weight. Then is a good time to ask about general maintenance stuff and go over the sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
That Pro-tectair thing isn't a bad idea: http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=1479&controller=product
See if the dealer will get you one of these kits when it comes off backorder or use it as a guide to sealing the intake yourself with some RTV to help keep the snow from getting in the intake in the first place.: https://www.countrycat.com/parts-ac...9-451-air-intake-sealing-kit-2018-2022-models
Change the chaincase oil if they haven't done it.
Consider fully clipping the track, but might not be as necessary with the 2.6 track. Stay on top of the track tension. Too loose and the track clips will ride out of the groove and eat up the hyfax. Too tight is hard on the track and idler wheels. Speak of that roll it up on it's side and make sure the hyfax is still in good shape.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
^^^^
I was going to say the same. Make sure you have a tether before unloading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Man you guys would hate me! I got fancy boots, fancy bibs a reallllll nice coat a super cool 509 helmet and googles. A airbag pack (old bca not cool klim) with a bca radio in the strap. I gotta sat phone and a GPS with onx. I got a survival kit (saw bivy fire stuff hand warmers lighter water proff matches and fire starter ) and a good first aid kit and head lamp . I got a overkill tool kit too!

AND..... I can't even ride at all!

NOW ......I have a fancy red 800 cc snowmobile.......wtf!??????
(Disclaimer, I had most of that stuff from running whitewater trips)( last year I got bad stuck and then I ran out of gas and scared my wife who was waiting on the trail while I "mountain rode" That's why I bought the radio! She was mad as hell and scared so I got a siphon and a one gallon tank too lol)
So basically iam the duche bag rich guy tourist who shows up in the lot all dialed in who can't hardly pull star the damn sled but looks like a "ambassador" yeah i suck ! but I've been lost overnight hunting (sucked bad)and I've been Involved in some bad bad river stuff including a fatality so screw it I got the gear. Now i just needs some balls and seat time and I'll be ripping lol!!! I have a hand strap I saw muskoka using to ski pull and a tow strap. A couple straps some bailing wire zip ties a spare belt two spark plugs a shock tool er....extra clothes. ****e I think I got it all....famous last words. Guess since my wife's Involved I over did it but better safe than sorry. I have my wilderness first aid and level one avy cert too and doing a snowmobile avy course in March too. So yeah iam a duche bag lol! Oh and a mopro rack with my board/skiis
A fool and his money soon part ways...
The worst thing I did is...I didn't tell my wife I got the red one... iam hoping she won't notice? Probably not getting laid fir a month or so...
Bwahaha!!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Go through the manual, it should cover track tension, ski alignment, APV cables, throttle cable. check those.
Adjust your bars. Usually for mountain riding the riser will be straight up and down, then adjust the bar angle and controls, while standing.
Might as well pick up 15oz. chaincase lube from them and drain and refill it.
Hopefully they cleaned your clutches or youll want to get into that soon. At least blow the primary dust out with air compressor.
ready to rip after that.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks guys! Should the basic maintenance stuff be included you think? Like ski alignment track tension alignment and clutch stuff. Cause I said i wanted a hat and didn't get it...I learned how ti do all that on my m6 so I can pull her in the shop but if that's what they "should " do I'll ask em to?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
If it’s their shop sled it’s most likely tip top shape, if using as demo possibly not.
What you’re discussing isn’t necessarily a purchasing privilege you should expect, but can certainly be a sign of a dealer worth going back to.

P
Dec 15, 2018
No, i think they just wanted me to load it and leave lol. The sales guy is awesome and I like him but he's not a snowmobiler so I'll ask questions and he doesn't know.. no big deal really but it would be nice to buy from carls!!! I did get a hat though!!!. Good news is I stay up late reading about suspension on here and watch videos. I did get a manual so I'll start there. The machines in excellent shape and iam embarrassed to say this but it's WAY smoother clutch engagement and I could just go slow and steady. I think my m6 must have a clutch kit? The only thing that may throw a wrench in the suspension would be if I needed different spring rates. Then I'd have to learn alot more but that's for when I get good enough to notice. I did get her running with one pull which is an accomplishment for my puny arse lol. Iam more than excited and can't wait to get her on the snow!! I ve been reading all day about tunes and set up again lol. They did service clutch and it has new fluids and it's qll adjusted so I just need to double check and go ride. I bought a spare belt and almost pooped my pants ! It was 248 bucks!!! One belt, one gallon oil , two spark plugs was 306 bucks or some dumb ****e. Jeez lol! Only thing iam wondering about is the oil reservoirs on the shocks are they air or just set with valving. What I mean is can you set those individually or is it simply the spring rate and the amount of preload? Haha ! Iam dumb !

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Your 2016 might have had some different clutching installed, but it has the older style primary clutch that has a more abrupt engagement than the roller bearing primary in your new 2021. The roller bearing clutches engage very smooth.

On the shocks the reservoirs are nitrogen charged somewhere between 150 and 200psi. They take a special needle tool to charge and shouldn't really be messed with except when having the shocks serviced so you don't need to worry about that. Aside from spring preload there are compression adjust knobs on the reservoirs that adjust the oil damping. If you look there are three positions for each adjuster: 1 is soft, 2 is medium, and 3 is firm. On the rear track shock the third position is actually a "lockout" mode that is super stiff to help keep the front end down in steep climbing situations. You won't really be using it for general riding. For your size I'd start at 1 all the way around. Then go to 2 if you feel hard bottoming. 2 on the front will help give a little more resistance to corner roll. If the coilovers are like the Floats on my sled 3 is really stiff up front. I'd only run that on a smooth groomed trail.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Fox has some videos on YouTube about their stuff and skinz has some good videos too on suspension basics and how to set sag/ride height/preload.

Premium Features