• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you want to read about my trip today? Come on along, we'll have some fun(Pics)

B
I'll say it till you put me in "Ignore" so you do not have to tempt yourself like when you (guys) put your Chromebook on "New incognito Window" so you can look at nekkid ladies and no one needs to know, right? I know you look at people doing naughty things online and hope no one catches you, you Cheeky Monkey. Ok, I'll say it 1,000 more times as my post count is low while my sperm count is high-I have had my boys tested and when they "Stand Up and be Counted . . . " like the AC/DC song, "For Those About to Rock", my boys show up so that is not a problem, but I will keep on thanking you fine gentlemen for guiding me, ever so gently, into my first intimate experience, with the Camso, DTS, 129. (This story is going to be broken up so stay tuned and check in often for updates as it is almost time for "Suppah", like when Matt Damon told the Irish guy there in the Departed, when he gave him a flip phone and had him call his mother and tell her that he's gonna be late for suppah. Supper is soon so I'll just start you off with this. The 2017 Beta 500 RR-S and the Camso DTS 129 kit is the absolute NUTS!

On my 120 mile drive home, I wondered to myself (I can be a deep thinker sometimes), if dirtbiking is the absolute best thing I can do in my spare time, and snowmobiling is pretty darned awesome, if one was to cross a wicked awesome dirtbike, and a track kit that will allow the bike to go on the snow, well, why isn't everyone doing it?

I'll be Frank, you be who you want, but always stay true to yourself, but if someone doesn't dirtbike, what are they really doing with their life? This is a topic for another post but really, if you can dirtbike, why ride an ATV. I'll say this now and will hope to not repeat myself because you'll know where I stand right away, ATV's suck. I say this like Raymond does in The Rainman-he knew, KMart sucks like I think ATV's suck for fun on the dirt. They can do things that dirtbikes can't do, but for fun . . . . Unfortunately, after just one shakedown run on the snowbike today, snowmobiles are now the snow equivalent of the ATV. I have no desire to ever ride a snowmobile just like I have no desire to ride an ATV. Not when I have a dirtbike. Cue the song "I don't want to work, I just want to ride my dirtbike all day(bang on the drum all day)." Banging on drums is cool and all, and even though drummers like like John Bonham, the Van Halen drummer, the Rush drummer, the Smashing Pumpkins drummer, and for all the great drummers out there, banging a drum all day is not exactly what I would really care to be doing and would not be my first choice when I don't want to work, so that song, while it is ok, is just that, ok.

Ok, back to snowbiking. It was simply awesome. Lets go back to the basics before we go any further because let's face it, you have time, I have time, and if we both have time, we could do worse than NOT read about snowbiking, correctamundo? One more thing, I hope you can all be nicer online and in life. Remember, as this forum is going to be my BFF, Best Forum Forever, if you are not nice I will call you out and you will be chastised with a minimum of 10,000 words, like some punishment essay some cruel teacher made you do so you would stop chewing gum in class, ok? If you want good stories, you have to share. The world and the world wide web are full of enough crap and terrible real world stories on all those other websites out there that we don't want anything but wholesome stories, sharing and fixing stuff and helping guys that need help, ok? Deal? Shake (Shake it off, shake it off) I had read that Taylor Swift-she is easy on the eyes, right? Admit it! I had read that she sings that line 73 times in the song.

Ok, back to the basics but before I do that, let me post what I have speed typed as thankfully, even after all these years of running dirt with NO handguards, all you limp wristed Sally Jessy Rahpael's who moaned and cried one after another on the other thread I had started, geesh, nothing but whining and fear of hands getting hurt, although I appreciate the concern and will edit this if it is harsh as I might be too harsh, I have never hurt my delicate digits as ladies like fingers. All over handguards??? I rode without them today but I will say that because it was so cold, the tips of my fingers were cold, but I was also wearing some very thin gloves. Once it got into the nice balmy teens and 20's, all was well and I think the flag handguards came today. (In my best, deepest, caveman voice),ME. NO. NEED. HANDGUARD. ME. ONLY. ASK. WHO. RUN. WITHOUT. THEM. ME. WANT. TO. FIND. OUT. WHO. OTHER. MANLY. MEN. ARE. AND. MAKE. FRIENDS. (NICE. TALKING) WITH. THEM. ONLINE. NOT. HEAR. FROM. SCARED. INJURED. BOYS. WHO. USE. HANDGUARD. I will quell my bitching about handguards. I asked, you answered. The exact opposite of "Don't ask, don't tell." Give and take, live and learn, good and bad, snowbike and snowmobile.

For all of you who want to keep reading about my day today, and like to read, and received an - At Standard - evaulation for reading comprehension all through grade school-good job, thank a teacher. Teachers, at least in my town/city, get paid pretty well so that might just be thanks enough. If you want to read more, go to the next post. If not, look at the other threads where you can read one sentence, let it sink in, and look at some other posts with not much going on in them so when you finally make your way back to my post, you will post something just so I can respond because of we don't develop any kind of rapport, how can there ever be any trust and you must know that once there is trust, it usually goes places we all want to go. Ok, ok, see you at the next post.

Last edited:
B
Ok, you're back. I'm glad I didn't scare you off and you're with me. I like having you as my wingman. We all need a wingman, or wingwoman. It is why being bi-sexual is good, you get 50% more chances.

So, back to the foundation, not the basement because many think I live in a basement and sometimes people even think that it is my parents basement but I can assure you, I'm not in the basement, or the closet, but back to the foundation. I had mentioned in the "Teach me to ride" post, that I got a 478 cc four stroke motor. Fuel injection-it happens to be Continental FI-the same Continental that makes the very decent DSW Extreme Contact All Season tires that I have run on various vehicles, but the FI is sorted. Part of the reason I went Beta, which happens to stand for "Bring Every Tool Available", was that the FI was sorted. FI was a must for the bike. For me and a dual sport, because I wanted, and needed the power, it was either Beta, KTM 500 EXC, or the Husqvarna. I could not go wrong with any of them and why none of the big Japanese 4 make a 450cc+ dual sport is baffling, but ok as Beta has a corker and has given me what I wanted in a great woods bike that I can ride on the street whenever I want.

I sometimes wonder if I should get a studded tire for the front, put it on with the track on the back, and next time we get a major/named storm, go out and ride anywhere and everywhere I want as I have the magic plate on the back and am street legal. That would be tits. If not tits, breasts. If not breasts then boobies. If none of those, then where the babies eat. Hey, babies gotta eat.

E-start and a 200W stator. Again, I was thrilled that the bike came with it. it was a bit of a selling point as I have a sort of "flashlight fletish"(why the system assterisks the word fettish is beyind me, like something is Boba Fettish, what is the big flipping deal?, something about when I was a young lad, and I loved being able to see in the dark (we'll continue this later, I have to go to suppah.)

Awright, back from suppah.

I love bright lights. I got a Squadron Pro LED Baja Designs unit with two projectors on the top for distance, and the two bottoms (Are you a bottom or a top?) are floods. The light is hella-bright and I've no need for any additional lighting at all. The only bummer about night riding, which I love, in the winter, is that it gets really cold, but if I dress extra-warm, it sure is more fun like night-riding in the summah.

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Whoa, Bro!!! Take a breath! I appreciate your enthusiasm but it is apparent you can type faster than I can read. And being I am over 60 and accused of not seeing well out of one eye and being blind in the other, I really do enjoy riding my snowbike. I don't ride as much as I would prefer but hopefully that will change.
Being an avid snowmobiler for the last 20+ years I find the snowbike as a refreshing change to enjoying the great outdoors.
Being that you enjoy a good lengthy and in-depth thread, I ask that you consider putting your typing skills and new found enthusiasm to, what I consider, another great cause. And that would be to educate yourself on all of the current land issues that threaten our great sport. There are many conservation groups, that are actually preservation groups, that want to close or restrict a lot of the national forests that we currently recreate in. Many of these groups have filed lawsuits against the USFS and have infiltrated many USFS Travel Management groups to promote the restriction of motorized use in the forest.
We need more folks to take an active role in making comments during the comment periods and staying informed of the different processes.
Welcome to the great sport of snowbiking and I look forward to more of your threads.

B
I forgot, at least one pic, for now. Sorry.

Ha, I am lucky I can type fast and that the brain still works and I will NEVER, I can say never because there are some things I know I will never do, like think 'Whoopie Goldberg was hot back in her day', I will never think that and I know myself pretty good, do you? But I will never accuse you of not being able to see well. I don't need you to see, just read. There is a difference like there is with hearing someone and understanding what they have said. Perhaps I'm getting too wordy, too verbose and need to stop. Maybe this is not the correct forum for what I'm writing about, I don't know. You tell me. Anyway, you brought it up so we can talk about it and have a civil discussion on it to pass the time. The gift of gab, my holiday present to you and don't ever think, well, you can think what you want, and say what you want, all because of the second amendment-ha!

Those Fore(skin) Fathers, they knew what they were doing, or did they? They had to come up with all the amendments because they forgot to include them in the original draft, sort of like me and having the edit button, I can come up with first edits, second edits, just like our great Fore Fathers, the rules-makers, fleeing England, not because of prosecution or for religious freedom, because the snow was and is much freaking better over here than that god forsaken country with no snow. Why live there if there is no snow? Like all those gerbils in Florida or like Texas, who think, think- that they are being crafty when they type in, with their cute three word reply's "What is snow?" Or those that, when fed up from reading end with "Go out and ride."-as they have nothing left to offer at all, just nothing, and it is their polite way of trying to shut someone down for what they believe, I think, 'What a tool'. What exactly, do they want to read about? Why even click on the thread if all they have to offer is nothing. I have thought many times, when I think twice, or three, or sometimes four times before posting something. 'If I don't like it or agree with it, just move on. No one forced me to click on someone else's thoughts. And while sure, we can have an opinion, it does't mean it has to be shared. One can just keep it safe with ones self.' Safe space, safe space, safe space, ahhhh, much better. Hot cocoa anyone? I just ignore them as that is what my mom said to do, like Forrest Gump's mother, she seemed to always have some good advice for Forrest. Oh well, I'm over it. It has been said that most do feel that "It's not you, it's me", especially when it comes time to break-up with someone. If I'm a hypocrite, call me out, drop that dime, if you see something, say something, and I will go back and edit and fix the hypocricy and make my words fit my (hidden) agenda-making you LOL or ROTC(for clean)FL, don't roll on a dirty floor laughing, that is just azz-nazty. Laugh is good. Anger is bad. The band Oasis sang, "Don't look back in anger, I heard you say."

For a moment, I had to get the amendments straight. First-Freedom of Speech. Second, Right to Bear Arms. Then there are the nice, helpful bumper stickers down south that read; First Amendment because of the Second. Like, One has the right to speak because if not, I will shoot. Ok. Sounds good. Just don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes, those British. Made us waste all that tea back in the day and for which a massive fine from the EPA would be levied if anyone tried pulling a stunt like that nowadays. Maybe things were better when they were in charge as there was no EPA, or USFS to keep us from riding around with other grown men, in endless circles through the forests-which is all we are doing anyway. Riding around in circles. The Circle of Life. I will explain this more in a new thread.

England, Texas, Florida . . . All year long of the same thing? What an existence as that is all it is to me at that point. At least if they have a dirtbike and they ride, we can still be friends and I will share my fruit by the foot with them sometime on the side of the trail. You just carry out the wrapper because "Carry in, carry out." and that includes the toilet paper or the Dunkin Donuts tissues you are wiping your rectal sphincter with, if you are even wiping and not just pulling back up you filthy cretin. At least England has English so they are not all that bad. I take it back. The country is just forsaken, and not by god anymore. They are doing their best to exit. Exit the union as they want to be alone. They are already alone and an island, what more do they want, attention? An island with no snow. England. Bah.

Here is a 'Phew, I just got this thing off the trailer, but it was thankfully, not all that tough. I do know a couple of things, that 1. I need to get some ski slides as the outboard skags, when the bike is tilted or they catch, really gouge the nice, new 1/2" marine plywood I had spent $160 on for 2 4x8 pieces to install in my old 1994 Yacht Club galvanized trailer.

Oh yeah, the pic, then I'll post more to really get you in the mood. I know all this foreplay and teasing is getting you all hot and bothered, so if you need to, get off the Raze Handlebars and installation issues/how I can make them in my garage from parts one can get from Lowe's and the local plumbing supply store, NAPA and using my Union Pipefitters Local 982-discount at FW Webb to save $73.37 and the satisfaction that I didn't give my hard earned money to Raze Motorsports-epic thread, and I'll get us to the main event and the money shots soon enough. By the way, do you know why Jewish men like to watch prorno movies in reverse? The love seeing the part where the hooker gives the money back. The can't believe it and keep watching it over, and over and over again all the while commenting, "Can you belive it, she gave the money back, so awesome, Mazel tov!" Now THAT is the money shot. This thread will be like the Penthouse Forum, but for snowbikers. I need to get some ladies who like the cold, and who like to wear nice clothes, and high heeled/stilletto shoes, and will not mind me taking pictures of them on or near my bike as the pictures need some spice, right?

Oh yeah, do you like how I painted the sides of the cover white? It is so, so much nicer painted white.

P1130213.jpg

Last edited:

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I was just about ready to say the proverbial "This thread is worthless without pics!!" phrase, but alas, you posted one. :face-icon-small-coo

It sounds (if I read between the lines correctly) as though you had a great time today, yes??

Awaiting the full report (and more pics) after suppah!!

B
Alright, alright, all-right, lets get back to business, for now. The bike, the foundation. Electric start, oh yeah, the 200W stator, thank goodness for it. I had installed the Bike Master heated grips and they worked very well today. When I got to the farm, it was -2F on the drive up as I left at 5:30am and when I took my first victory lap on the rolling hay field, it was 3-F, it was cold. I liked that the controller for the grips gives 5 settings, although the unit defaults to off every time I power down the bike but the good part is that every time I power the grips back up, one button press gets it back to where I had left off, nice, like a bookmark. A bookmark, whenever I read or hear that word, I always think of corn. Why corn? Why not corn. Corn. Why do we even eat corn, it comes out the exact same way it went in. It is like a bookmark for your stool. Ok? Nice, potty talk. Ok, I'll get out of the bathroom. The grips were thick but I think they felt good and give my hands and forearms a good workout. It had been at least a month since I had been on the bike and it was so, so good to hear the motor fire right up and the bike start back up where it had left off.

I dropped the bike into gear, let out the clutch and the bike stalled. The bike stalled every time I would restart it, put it in gear, and letting the clutch out. I thought quick for a second, as if I can think quick at all as "I'm not a smart man, but I do know what l-o-v-e is." - quick, who said that line? I thought quick and came to the realization that as it was so cold, the clutch plates must be sticking so did my right hand finger grip dance on the clutch lever, pulling in and out on the hydraulic clutch, really fast, many, many times, and the next time I went to let the clutch out, I had success. Nothing succeeds like success. Now I'm on my way, hooray. Cogs, sprockets and springs are not flying out of the side and back of the track. Bogie wheels and torsion springs are not pogo-ing out of the tunnel, my front ski is not folding over like a newborn baby deer trying to get up on its legs right after birth. The installation was a success.

Just like the Beach Boys song, "Little Honda", I went through the gears, up through 3rd and to 4th-we've now reached a place where no Beta 500 RR-S has gone before. All the while the system is floating on the 12-14" of powder on top of a hayfield, virgin territory and a perfect setting for a very special Camso de-flowering this amazing morning. The first right turn, nice and easy, ski is holding and I will say, even after all the time I had spent on the bike this morning, I have yet to find the limit of the stick that the ski has. So far, the level of stick it has is amazing. It has to help that with only 12-14" of light, fluffy, powder, coupled with a hard ground after so many days of single digits, the front ski is just perfect. For now, and for that set of conditions, the attack angle of the track is spot-on. Steering is about perfect, not too heavy, not too light.

This 478cc motor has all the power I want and need, and then some. What I did do this past summer was to get a G2 Quick Throttle Cam, along with their G2 aluminum throttle tube and lastly, the Jimmy Twister as I can't get enough of the silky smooth throttle twist, never mind the quick turn throttle. None of those pansy, pantywaisted throttle tamers that other lamewads use on their bikes to slow down the throttle response. I mean, why not just get off and walk if you want to go that slow. Never mind that I can't stand the slow, rocky, "technical", I love that word, technical. To me, that just means that the trail(s) blow-chow. If you like those trails, fine. Have a party. I'd rather be on the high speed stuff where the quick turn throttle gets me to full-tilt boogie faster. With great power comes the need for a quicker turn throttle.

On the long straightaway, we all had a ball at WOT in top gear, huge roostertail, and just over 50 mph. For now, I'm going to hold off on the turbo or even the twin turbo upgrade or custom install, and also shelve the nitrous oxide setup until I have more time in the deep powder and then I'll know if I really need it or not, but for the time being, being naturally aspirated is enough.

P1130228.JPG P1130239.jpg P1130233.jpg P1130232.jpg

Last edited:
B
Just know fellas, all I need is one, just one, to say that the post(s) are good, and I'll keep them coming, I type, you read. A very fair, and balanced, relationship. Not like Matt Lauer, he did, and has done many questionable things. But it is good to know you like to read, and like to think, and like to laugh, and enjoy the pictures. I take pictures, I write about pictures, me Tarzan, you Jane.

Ok. One pic was of the hayfield. I had wondered this past fall, when I was bucking hay and had to be the guy at the end of the hay conveyor belt to pass it to the next guy who was the hay stacker and I wondered, how the hell does the hay get baled and then into the hay cart as the cart is so tall, so tall it could hold either an elephant or a giraffe. Then I had found out, there is a machine that bales the hay and even puts the two strings around it, then it gets shot like a cannon up into the hay cart, ok, that is the hay lesson for the day. See, you are learning! It feels good, doesn't it?

The brain working and making inside-drugs in your head-all for free. I will be your professor for this short time we have together on this glorious planet. Professor with a capitol PhD, Piled high and Deep-just like we, or she, likes it? Does she in fact like it? Does she like being Pile-driven, high and Deep? You will never know until you ask, but in this day and age and the current War on Men with Harvey Weinstein - et al, leading the way, it might not be good to ask, especially if it is a co-worker. It is wise to not talk to co-workers as there are lots of fish in the sea and if, like Aquaman, you can make the rings come out of your skull,and talk to the fish, you can ask whatever you want of the fish and not lose your job. Your job is important, it allows you to snowbike and to afford the electricity so that you can come on this site and read for entertainment, or to learn, or to allow yourself to get mad and post some mean things, the outlet is yours so you do with it what you want, but don't lose your job for talking to ladies and asking foolish questions. My advice, don't ask about it, just start trying it and if she like, she like. If not, she stop. Padawan, Jedi Master. Professor X to orphaned mutants=nice.

Then my nephew in law, he just turned 12 yo and I taught him to use a clutched bike this past spring as his dad over the years had gotten him a JR50, then an XR70, and then the KLX 125. This past fall, we had him, even though he could not come close to touching the ground, on an XR250, a YZ 125 and my bike and he was stoked, Stoked with a capitol "S", to ride the snowbike today. The kid is good and his dad is getting him a CRF 450X and the same DTS 129 kit and we'll put it all together soon as he is now hooked as well. The snowbike is like drugs, but the best kind of drugs. I'm so looking forward to next Saturday where we'll drive up again and stay until Tuesday the 26th and where I can ride all that long weekend provided there is no meltdown. As it is, like it is in most of the US, we need more snow, but if we don't lose what is there, it will be a great holiday weekend.

My brother in law, all 6'4" and 240 lbs of him, the same dimensions that Mario Lemieux had-Mario was good, wasn't he? As good as Gretzky? Better? Just got hurt/injuries? He had a blast and now is going Camso as well. He has a quiver of sleds but for some reason, he enjoys the torture that a SkiDoo Tundra gives him, with its narrow front ski-stance that requires just way too much work than it is worth on the trails, but he is like that, a glutton for punishment, but he agrees, the snowbike has him hooked and he will just ride his sleds a LOT less as the dynamics of the snowbike are just, well the dynamics of a dirtbike. Camso, you did well. Camso, Cam-So? Are you there, are you listening? You. Guys. Did. Well. Thank You!

I did notice on some sections where we had formed some small whoops, with the emphasis on small, but I did notice that the rear, non-adjustable shock, did a good job of soaking them up and could imagine last years valving having needed the upgrade. I can see how, in time, either Camso or the aftermarket could make upgraded shocks, but then again, if I/we can stay in the powder then the need for bigger, heavier, shocks with larger reserviors and adjustable for rebound, compression-high and low speed, might not be all that necessary for a kit designed more ofr O/T than groomed trail, but we will see. So far the stock setup felt fine.

I did notice the forks compressing although, when I ride in the dirt, I have the compression all the way soft, and the rebound about all the way slow. I dialed the forks exactly the opposite way and they felt ok if not good. Again, I can see how if I want to go faster, and start pushing harder, that I might want a stiffer front and if I do, I might either go spring, or go easy with the air valve thing and just add air for about $150 or so.

P1130240.jpg P1130241.jpg P1130242.jpg

Last edited:
B
What a glorious morning it was. When I'm outside and using my hands, to like take the covers off the bike and snowmobile, and they hurt from the cold, that is when I know it is really cold out and this morning was cold. It was 3 degrees F. It was cold but thankfully, no wind.

With that said, when I had the two covers in front of the radiator, the bike was up at from 190-220 or so, never more than 224 as for some reason, that seems to be the max my bike will get as it does have a factory t-stat and a fan on the throttle side radiator. When it was in the mid 20's later in the morning, I heard the bike backfiring every now and then and had realized that the bike was probably running a bit hot so the covers came off.

The other night, I got around the measuring the LOA of the bike, it is right at 11'. I went outside to measure my trailer, 8', sheeyt. Will it work? As the ski can be stuffed up on the salt shield, and I can yank the track over a bit, kiddie-corner style on the trailer, only about 2' hangs off the back and is not a problem at all. MA law has the limit at 4' for stuff hanging off trailers and trucks so I'm good. I thought I might buy a new 11 or 12' trailer of some sort but I'm going to get by with my old 8' x 96" trailer as all I have are the snowbike and the snowmobile, and dirtbikes in the summer. It's all working out so far.

P1130216.jpg P1130219.jpg P1130210.jpg

Last edited:
B
I had to my farm chores earlier this morning. Feeding the turkeys.

I fed the baby calf that was born only two days ago, it was so cold that it was the best thing to do to keep it inside to make sure it makes it until it gets a bit warmer or it grows just a bit more. I was its mommy this morning.

Mmmmmm, veal.

P1130223.jpg P1130224.jpg P1130226.jpg P1130221.jpg

Last edited:
B
I was just about ready to say the proverbial "This thread is worthless without pics!!" phrase, but alas, you posted one. :face-icon-small-coo

It sounds (if I read between the lines correctly) as though you had a great time today, yes??

Awaiting the full report (and more pics) after suppah!!

Yes. Pics. The heroin injections are wearing off and I'm forgetting things. Please accept my sincerest apologies for my transgression. I know it is almost always better to underpromise and overdeliver than to overpromise and underdeliver, just like the two biggest lies, The check is in the mail and I won't come in your mouth. Sorry on both counts. Eventually both of the aformentioned items is eventually delivered, right? Make sure you give some high protein tonsil-wash for the holidays and really spread that cheer.

Pics are nice. Pics are fun. Pics are best when they are one on one. This is like Dr. Suess-time. This is fun. This writing assignment my community college professor had me to for the final exam in suppository, hmmm, that doesn't look or sound right, expository writing, where we were tasked with going online, finding a topic that we know nothing about but that interests us, learning about it by asking questions, then seeing if one can prove or show others that eventually, without actually experiencing anything about the topic or subject, convince others that one is now a subject matter expert. I got an A, thanks. I have been loving the "Like"-showers. Not the golden or brown showers, that is not my thing, it is for some, but I don't go to those websites anymore, they make me squeemish, like when the bodyless woman in the Tom and Jerry cartoon would get scared when she saw Jerry, like that, "Eek, a big hot steaming hot spike on my chest?" No, not my cuppa (English)tea. No sir. Hey, three college credits towards my certificate in Creative Writing is 3 credits and the 4.0 will boost my GPA so I can finally get out of being on academic suspension and academic probation and double secret probation. I don't even know what any of those things mean as being on them for so long, it eventually feels like it is just normal, you know?

OMG, yes. It sure was a blast. I mean, the snowmobile is fun. Skiing was my first love. Fishing was actually the first love but with that, where I had grown up, I could ride my bike to fishing spots and didn't need my parents to drive me unlike with skiing where I needed the parental units to transport me to and from, and pay and because I did it less, I liked it more-like most things in life. The things we do less, we often love more.

The snowmobile is fun. If I didn't have the snowbike, I doubt I'd have gone up to get in the first ride and would have just waited till next weekend to ride. The snowbike might just get to first place on the all-time list of "Fun things to do in/on things with motors" The first deep powder day will tell.

Last edited:
B
Whoa, Bro!!! Take a breath! I appreciate your enthusiasm but it is apparent you can type faster than I can read. And being I am over 60 and accused of not seeing well out of one eye and being blind in the other, I really do enjoy riding my snowbike. I don't ride as much as I would prefer but hopefully that will change.
Being an avid snowmobiler for the last 20+ years I find the snowbike as a refreshing change to enjoying the great outdoors.
Being that you enjoy a good lengthy and in-depth thread, I ask that you consider putting your typing skills and new found enthusiasm to, what I consider, another great cause. And that would be to educate yourself on all of the current land issues that threaten our great sport. There are many conservation groups, that are actually preservation groups, that want to close or restrict a lot of the national forests that we currently recreate in. Many of these groups have filed lawsuits against the USFS and have infiltrated many USFS Travel Management groups to promote the restriction of motorized use in the forest.
We need more folks to take an active role in making comments during the comment periods and staying informed of the different processes.
Welcome to the great sport of snowbiking and I look forward to more of your threads.

Ha, good stuff.

Fear not, comrade on Snowbike. I do think it is the best that you are still riding. I'm doing everything I can, even pushups and eating KFChicken, original recipe, so I can keep riding for as long as possible. It is just way too much fun.

Provided the good folks who now own SnoWest keep paying to have the site up on the world wide web, you need not rush yourself, strain your retinas, corneas, rods, cones and whatever other parts of the eyes that are not like they used to be, like a piston with 250,000 miles on it, the post will, or at least, should stay up for a while, so my fingers can resume their originally scheduled programming. Take your time, sip some wine, eat some cheese, but don't eat the cheese and whine, no one likes a whiner, unless she is like Eva Mendez - hot (Eva, are you reading my posts?, if so, please PM me)-single and willing. Willing to snowbike with you. You have time Treewell Dweller. I used to be a cellar dweller, so we have something in common in that we are both dweller's. There are Brothers in Arms-brothers in each others arms, that is sketchy, don't you think. There are Comrades in Arms-maybe somewhere in Russia, or the USSR, or whatever or where ever Sergei Fedorov came from to play hockey here in the NHL back in the day. Those Russians can be some good hockey players as it is always cold in Russia. My other question is, as I have lots of them, is, why doesn't Russia make anything? Is it so cold that their brains have frozen?, or are pickled in Vodka, that they have stopped working and the idea of everyone using the same soap, same toilet paper, and all being the same with Communism, was a great idea? If they have snow, why don't they make snowmobiles? I digress. Then there are Dwellers in Arms, which is what we will be. Agreed? PM me if you don't feel good about sharing that level of intimacy with someone you just met. Are you on Tinder? The website about fire starting. I wonder what kind of fires they are trying to start on that site. Does anyone know?

For all you, or anyone knows, or even I know, all I'm doing is using a voice to text program, Dragon, talking into a mic, and the computer does the typing, either way, I type, you read, we all get along. Don't forget what started the L.A. Riots and what Rodney King simply asked, emphasis on simply, "Can't we all just get along?"

Yes, the snowbike, while a refreshing change, and even an exciting change, I can already tell that even though the outright speed of the machine is slower no matter the type of snow it is operating on, I don't mind one single bit. I actually like slowing down a bit and enjoying the ride and while I know I love the power in the dirt, I also don't mind slowing down and doing a different kind of fun.

This is going to be an awesome winter.

On my drive home, I had even given thought to leaving this bike a snowbike,and buying a 2018 bike as the made a lot of upgrades to the bike I have now that would make it worth getting. The biggest reason is that I would not have to convert the bike back to dirt, now that would be nice.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you do that get a 2 stroke you will never look at them technical trails the same once you ride a bike that actually makes them fun. I went back 2 stroking in the dirt and that 250 balanced smoker is the bomb -- best bike I ever rode in the dirt.

B
If you do that get a 2 stroke you will never look at them technical trails the same once you ride a bike that actually makes them fun. I went back 2 stroking in the dirt and that 250 balanced smoker is the bomb -- best bike I ever rode in the dirt.

Ha, good thoughts and suggestions, I like, no, I LOVE that.

It just so happens that the last two two strokes I had owned, at the same time, were an 95 CR500R and an 85 CR500R. I wanted more power than the XL250 dual sport I bought off a buddy and off-roaded to death, broke the frame in multiple places, toasted the motor with too much high rpm usage, but I loved the little four stroke power and its ability to hook up on wet linoleum. Before that I had a KX250. The 85 was cheap at the time and ran well and had lots of power. I realized after a month or two that I needed to up my game as the suspension and brakes were lame, it had a drum brake in the rear and with RWU forks in the front, the suspension and handling didn't match the motor.

I stepped up to a 96, Gen II CR500R and what a revelation. Mostly stock, it was a fantastic woods bike, still with no handguards, and I rode it into the ground but it just kept on going. The 85 felt fast but even when geared down, was never faster than the 95, stock for stock. One had to short shift the bike as the power would hit hard and hit fast and as the gearbox was the limit, by the time I'd get to top gear, the 95 was only in like 4th or 5th gear and walking away from the 85.

My good snowmobile buddy got an almost new 2001 KX500 and when we would race, I would have him until top gear but the KX would start going away as the gearbox just had taller gearing and even when we switched bikes, the results were always the same. The CR would have him until top gear and the KX would pull away, but still, both awesome bikes and great power.

I know now, even if I had a choice between the most tricked-out, brand new Service Honda with e-start, and the bike I have now, I'd take my bike. I actually like the power of the 4s and think that if I were to race the CR, I'd not be far behind and think that the 4s would have a chance, anyway, I'm not about outright speed anymore, though it is fun, I just like the big bottom that the 4s has and don't miss two strokes at all.

Someday, when my body starts losing strength, I might re-consider a two stroke or a smaller 4s motor, but between the noise, real lack of bottom, I have to stick with the 4s. The big 4s is keeping me in shape by being and feeling heavier. The bike is my gym. Poor people in those fitness centers, paying money with no real payoff for all that energy expended. Just working out to stay in shape to get through the workout as Seinfeld would say.

I do get to ride a newer YZ 125 and chuckle(inside) when my brother in law tells me to " . . . watch out for the powerband, the hit might catch me off-guard"-well meaning and well intentioned, sure, but . . . ha!

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Not sure you would be able to make a two stroke street legal where you live also. Don’t want to miss out on the commute to work. In utah you can plate just about anything. Definitely nice. Maybe you should buy two more bikes?

B
Not sure you would be able to make a two stroke street legal where you live also. Don’t want to miss out on the commute to work. In utah you can plate just about anything. Definitely nice. Maybe you should buy two more bikes��

In a way, it is one of those, been there, done that, and don't need or want to do it again. The thing with the CR500R that I do know is that even though the rear wheel/power is controlled by the operators right hand/wrist, because of the nature of two stroke power, I know that I would actually not want the faster power delivery in the snow. As it was, the 4s already spins up too fast and when the track spins faster, I know know that it does not equate to faster motion over ground and when Camso writes that going slower-must be referring to track or engine speed-actually makes one go faster as the track just chopping at the snow is like a tire just spinning on the street.

Also, the dual sport-ability, the sound, no matter what silencer I put on the CR, either the Pro Circuit stinger I used, or the big stock exhaust, no matter what, the noise was always a bit too much and would be a nightmare when trying to creep around in the forest or on the roads. In my advancing years, I realize that sound is what makes riding areas go away, all the more so on the snow.

I probably have about a total of 300,000 miles of sportbike riding on the roads over 20 years and I was fortunate that I never took myself out or, had another vehicle take me out and came out of it unscathed and that I'm now able to continue to ride dirt and the snow, and still be able to ride back and forth to work, but I no longer have the desire to ride on the road at all. As (a) street- bike has about 100% traction on the road, that percentage just doesn't equate to fun at all. I used to love highway riding but the speeds I need to go to enjoy it 80 mph plus, would get me in trouble then and would surely get me in trouble now. Being able to go all out and not be breaking any laws in the woods, or on the snow, is freeing. My bike is now a true Triple Sport, dirt, snow and street. 3 in 1. Sweet.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I would never bother to street legal my two stroke unless i needed to only ride a mile or two to get to sweet singletrack. Not the case where I currently live unfortunately. Your bike is perfect for that. A couple points though— a modern two stroke such as a ktm 300 xc or xcw is a much different and more effective tool for any kind of difficult trail riding than that 500 of yours. Not knocking your bike because I’m sure it is awesome and i would love to have one in my stable. Second, any year cr500 is also not the best choice for a trail/woods bike. I know some guys use them for that and love it but thats not where that bike excels. If i had a brand new service honda it would get broken in with a paddle tire on it. I had one for my first snowbike also and it was a complete blast!
Third. Two strokes are not nearly as loud as four strokes. The lower deeper sound of a four stroke carries for miles while the higher pitched sound of a two stroke dissipates fairly qickly.
I am stoked you are having fun so far. Stay healthy and ride as much as you can. I do think when you get in deeper snow and steeper terrain you will find (like most of us) that another 50 hp sure would be handy.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
In my first and only (so far) snow bike ride last season, I rode both the 300 XCW and the 450FX. Both had their moments to shine. I liked the 300 as it felt light and nimble. The 450 was more relaxed and one could approach hills with less wind up. Same scenario on both in the dirt right?

B
I would never bother to street legal my two stroke unless i needed to only ride a mile or two to get to sweet singletrack. Not the case where I currently live unfortunately. Your bike is perfect for that. A couple points though— a modern two stroke such as a ktm 300 xc or xcw is a much different and more effective tool for any kind of difficult trail riding than that 500 of yours. Not knocking your bike because I’m sure it is awesome and i would love to have one in my stable. Second, any year cr500 is also not the best choice for a trail/woods bike. I know some guys use them for that and love it but thats not where that bike excels. If i had a brand new service honda it would get broken in with a paddle tire on it. I had one for my first snowbike also and it was a complete blast!
Third. Two strokes are not nearly as loud as four strokes. The lower deeper sound of a four stroke carries for miles while the higher pitched sound of a two stroke dissipates fairly qickly.
I am stoked you are having fun so far. Stay healthy and ride as much as you can. I do think when you get in deeper snow and steeper terrain you will find (like most of us) that another 50 hp sure would be handy.

No, you are right, in no way would I think it is even a little bit of fun to ride a 2 stroke on the street. While noise can be subjective, it is without question the #1 reason why either dirtbike/atv/snowmobile trails get closed by the private landowners, they just can't stand the sound and noise.

While riding like a regular Joseph on the street, the sound of a 4s is not objectionable to the voting public.

I don't even really like riding on the road anymore and I definitely didn't buy the bike to ride on the road and actually "dual-sport" it. That it is a pure enduro bike that they happened to slap the 50-state street legal kit on and even warranty it for one full year-find that from any other mfgr-made it worth it to me as I can make my 12 mile roundtrip to work every day it is not raining or cold and have some fun on the road and on the weekend or days off, can hoon in the dirt with zero compromise.

I get the "light" and nimble bike side and thankfully my muscles have not yet atrophied to the point that I can't handle either the weight or the power of a 270 lb woods bike. If anything, the bike is keeping me in shape and until the day comes where my body starts breaking down and my precious strength is such that I have to switch to a lighter bike, like the NRA's unofficial slogan, no one is going to get this big-bore away from me unless it is pried out of my cold, dead, hands. My other favorite slogan from the NRA is "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Everybody has what they like, and that is what makes it all so fun. Choice is a good thing, except when it comes to US presidential elections every 4 years, when there is no good choice it seems. 4s vs 2s, which one is one faster on?, which one is more fun? It all really good nowadays and thankfully all the makers are making some incredible machines for us and I know I got the exact one I want and need and if I were to do it again, the only thing I'd change is to get a 2018. I'm thinking of putting in another BYOB for a 2018 500 RR-S as a 3 year note at 1.9% is only about $250 a month and the total interest is like $300, which is sort of laughable at how low the total interest paid would be. Good credit, or, outstanding credit is a beautiful thing. Of course cash is best, but 1.9% is too good to pass up. Choices.

I sure ain't getting down on 2s at all. Other than the ones that don't have the magic button. They just aren't for me anymore. At least the mfgr's are still making them and between direct injection and even dual injectors, the future seems bright for them and maybe they will come out with a modern big bore 2s.

I am so looking forward to more snow, it will come, it always does up north and I'm sure we are all hoping for a great winter so we can keep the good stories coming.

Last edited:
Premium Features