• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track question coming from Polaris

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Question for those with both Poo and Doo experience. I'm a 205lb, intermediate+ rider, riding in the Southern interior of BC, once or twice a year to Revy. I'm an active rider and we spend almost all our time in technical treed terrain (I don't jump, do bowties or re-entries and I'm not big into hill climbing). We don't get many deep days where I ride. I'm currently on a '22 RMK Pro 163 3" and I'd like to try a turbo Skidoo and I'm wondering if the 16" Skidoo track width at 154 would be close to the 15" wide 163 Polaris track? I'm no track dynamics expert but the 154" skidoo track has more surface area than the 163" Polaris track by almost 20 sq in., makes me think the 154" would be plenty. Thoughts?

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
I don’t have too much riding experience on the g5 turbo but I made the same switch from a 163x3 pro. I like to ride the tight technical terrain too and after riding both lengths last year, I ended up liking the 165 g5 better after the 10 minutes I spent on each one.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The better question is how much energy do you have? I have a 165 turbo G5. To be honest I dont know I could hang on to a 154 3” turbo, without alot of suspension rework. If deep days are not a concern why not a sled with a 2.5” lug, that’s something I have considered. The new G5 track chews, the Polaris 3” is nothing to rave about.

I had a 154 and a 163 in 2009. Sold the 154.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I don’t have too much riding experience on the g5 turbo but I made the same switch from a 163x3 pro. I like to ride the tight technical terrain too and after riding both lengths last year, I ended up liking the 165 g5 better after the 10 minutes I spent on each one.
What did you like about the 165? And would you say it compares to the 163x3 pro? What didn't you like about the 154?

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
The better question is how much energy do you have? I have a 165 turbo G5. To be honest I dont know I could hang on to a 154 3” turbo, without alot of suspension rework. If deep days are not a concern why not a sled with a 2.5” lug, that’s something I have considered. The new G5 track chews, the Polaris 3” is nothing to rave about.

I had a 154 and a 163 in 2009. Sold the 154.

Well, I'm in my 50's and have more energy than most my age (and many younger than me) but I am over the hill no doubt about it. I've read mixed reviews on track length and the energy it takes to ride the G5 turbo, some find it more tiring on the long track from what I understand. I've never ridden a skidoo OR a turbo so I'm pretty ignorant on both fronts.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
And it would seem your experience suggests that track length has proportionally more effect than width and it's not just about surface area on the snow...

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Well, I'm in my 50's and have more energy than most my age (and many younger than me) but I am over the hill no doubt about it. I've read mixed reviews on track length and the energy it takes to ride the G5 turbo, some find it more tiring on the long track from what I understand. I've never ridden a skidoo OR a turbo so I'm pretty ignorant on both fronts.

I am 45, and I am unsure if a 154 would be for me. The 165 is a great all around track length. When I ordered my 2021 turbo I actually wanted a 165 2.5” but my dealer talked me out of it.
I guess what I ment by energy is, thats alot of power and traction on a short track, its something you will have to stay on top of. A 165 2.5” G5 track would probably compare to a 175 3” polaris track. IMO the Polaris 3” is horrible.
I have suspension work done to my 165 G5 to keep the front end down, but even at 165 I can flip it over backwards very easily.

As far as the G5 to the Polaris, I always struggled to ride a Polaris when getting on one in the past. After getting some seat time on a G5 then hop on a Polaris, It actually felt comfortable, yes the Polaris bars are goofy but I didn’t override the Polaris like I did in the past. I have a expert without the tmotion, yes on harder snow it’s harder to get up on edge over the tmotion, the tmotion sleds have added features to it like 15” wide rods in a 16w track. The expert has full width rods in the track.
The G4 feels like a tank to me when I ride one, (sorry G4 owners).

If you are looking for my honest opinion and you can take this with a grain of salt if you wish. I personally feel a 165 doo turbo with tmotion would suit you really well.

T
Jan 13, 2013
A 163 polaris and a 165 doo are comparable. And a 155 to 154 comparable. The 16" Vs 15" does not give you the advantage you are thinking it will. A 154 turbo is a absolute handful of a sled, fun but a handful. The 165 doo turbo is an incredibly playful sled the way the doos wheelie and the turbo giving you all the power you'd need. My opinion unless you are looking to do hop overs re entries bowties all the time stick to a 165 with the turbo

S7even

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2015
Cascade Idaho
The 154 was a fun sled, but like has been said already, I think it would be a handful in some of the steep technical situations. The 165 was still plenty playful with the limiter in long but not as wild. On my 163x3 pro, I’m running the Camso x3 track and a turbo and it compares pretty well with that setup.
What did you like about the 165? And would you say it compares to the 163x3 pro? What didn't you like about the 154?

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
The 165 expert will wear you out a little bit more than a 165 x. 165 is the best technical tree riding sled but the locked out rear arm and full rod track are harder to get on edge. I had a 165 turbo R last year and had no problem doing hop overs, re entry’s, or wheelies from bottom to top of the hill. I can only imagine how easy all of those are on a 154 but I think it could be hard to keep down in tight tree lines.

D
Dec 22, 2018
If you don't have that many deep days and other description I would go for 154". G5 climbs like an animal, just use quick limiter strap adjust when going for steeper climb. Its basically like going from Khaos->Pro just turning the switch.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
A 154 x 16 may have similar footprint of the 163 x15 but you ride trees and more than 1/2 the time you will be on a sidehill with 50% of the Doo track out of the snow. That 1/2" on the hill side is not going to make up for the extra length of the 163. Also it will tend to go nose up more, due to short track, more power and more transfer. The Doo tracks do work well though so you won't be disappointed, just more worn out.

Last edited:

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
If you don't have that many deep days and other description I would go for 154". G5 climbs like an animal, just use quick limiter strap adjust when going for steeper climb. Its basically like going from Khaos->Pro just turning the switch.
Does tightening the limiter strap to precision+ keep the skis on the ground? Is the adjustable limiter strap adjustable? In other words, can the limiter strap be tightened such that moving the adjuster to precision+ gives an even more planted stance than how it comes stock?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Does tightening the limiter strap to precision+ keep the skis on the ground? Is the adjustable limiter strap adjustable? In other words, can the limiter strap be tightened such that moving the adjuster to precision+ gives an even more planted stance than how it comes stock?

Yes, for straight up climbs, but it comes with negative effects on the suspension having it in the short mode, lower ride height is one.
It’s a fine line, with consistently paying with the strap or dealing with a extra 5.5” of track length between a 165 and a 154

Its not really about the footprint going from a Polaris to a doo. Its the traction, the Polaris 3” is like doos 2.5” traction wise. Putting a doo track on a Polaris is a popular mod. The lynx 3” does not have the traction of the G5 doo track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
A 154 x 16 may have similar footprint of the 163 x15 but you ride trees and more than 1/2 the time you will be on a sidehill with 50% of the Doo track out of the snow. That 1/2" on the hill side is not going to make up for the extra length of the 163. Also it will tend to go nose up more, due to short track, more power and more transfer.
Gotcha

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
yes, the strap itself is adjustable. essentially there's a min and max range and you choose where within that range that the quick-adjust feature of the strap operates.

Last edited:
D
Dec 22, 2018

It does. And yes you adjust it just like regular strap also. I feel the sled is very planted when on precision setting.

I firmly believe that 154 would be great for low snow conditions. Takes less effort iniating and carving. It will still climb crazy steep. A lot more fun to ride when there is less snow.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
It does. And yes you adjust it just like regular strap also. I feel the sled is very planted when on precision setting.

I firmly believe that 154 would be great for low snow conditions. Takes less effort iniating and carving. It will still climb crazy steep. A lot more fun to ride when there is less snow.
Interesting to get your take on it being planted. I’ve read that some riders cant get it to keep the skis on the ground and struggle side hilling with washout and it wanting to point uphill. On your sled, do you have the front track shock softened to minimum spring preload to improve the precision mode?

Premium Features