• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo down so rented a 9R

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just spent 2 days back on the Gen 5 after being in the shop. After spending Monday on the 9R and Friday-Saturday on the Gen 5 I don’t see any reason to own any other sled. Skidoo has the best sled for me and really has the best sled on the market. I’m hoping we see a bigger bore sled from skidoo and they focus on shedding some weight from this chassis.
Just got back from island park up on Jefferson. Rode ruts, moguls and trenches. Had my re turbo shredder and buddy rode my wife's 9r. Lynx is definitely more of a workout on steep sidehills with tracks and ruts. Some, i think. Is wide skis. Some is it's heavy. They claim 35 pounds heavier than freeride in same configuration. 9r rides really light but are comparing turbo to na. Motor on both are awesome. Lynx ride is in a league of its own. We'll see after i change skis, drop limiter all the way out and get it in better snow. It is just going to be one is better than the other in certain stuff and vice versa is my bet.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Just got back from island park up on Jefferson. Rode ruts, moguls and trenches. Had my re turbo shredder and buddy rode my wife's 9r. Lynx is definitely more of a workout on steep sidehills with tracks and ruts. Some, i think. Is wide skis. Some is it's heavy. They claim 35 pounds heavier than freeride in same configuration. 9r rides really light but are comparing turbo to na. Motor on both are awesome. Lynx ride is in a league of its own. We'll see after i change skis, drop limiter all the way out and get it in better snow. It is just going to be one is better than the other in certain stuff and vice versa is my bet.
That’s the one scenario where the matryx still takes the cake, tracked out/rutted out sidehills. That chassis just works ie. hill climb circuit.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got the first ride on my Gen 5 Turbo 154x3 Expert last week... also got to spend a small amount of time (all I needed) on a 22 Polaris Boost, 163x3 Pro.

A little about me- I started riding on XP summits back in 2009. Learned to sidehill, ride the trees, and all that fun stuff on an XP. I didn't know any better but those were terrible sleds. In 2012 I bought a Pro RMK and have been on Polaris since. I typically get a new sled every other year. While owning Polaris sleds I occasionally got to spend some time on Doos (and Cats). I did not ride at all last year. I got rid of my 2019 Polaris 850 and took a year off. I had a couple crappy trips and was sick of the driving (12hrs minimum to good snow and terrain). The Gen 5 came out and got me excited about sledding again, so I went ahead and snowchecked one.

My favorite riding is in the trees, and steep drainage type stuff.

As far as setup goes my sled is all stock. Ski shocks on 3, skis centered on spindle, center shock around 60% tightened, rear clicker on 2, torsion on 2, and limiter strap on agile. I started with the rear shock and torsion both full soft. It was wild in a bad way... clicked both to 2 and was happy with it. I actually found I like the torsion springs for quick and easy adjustment. I've always thought of the quick adjust limiter strap as being gimmicky, but it is super easy use and totally transforms the sled. You can climb almost anything in the precision setting... but the sled handles like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I left it in agile except to test it out on a few climbs. Precision would work great if a guy found himself in a bad place.

First and foremost, the Turbo R is incredible. That engine is the most impressive thing I have seen come from any manufacturer since I started sledding. Riding at 11,000ft you can flip the sled over backwards anytime you want. It starts first pull everytime. Runs buttery smooth. The lag is as close to non existent as it could be with a turbo. It just blows my mind that it runs like it does on 91. Big props to Doo on this powerplant, I've never been this impressed by a motor in ANYTHING. It is wild.

Fit and finish is good. I don't love how the panels and hood all go together, but it works. The clutch cover and engine divider system is pretty cool.

The running boards are the best I've had. We were riding deep powder all week, and I don't think I ever had to stop to kick off ice.

The gauge and intake were constantly covered in snow, but I never had a single powder bog.

Was riding untouched powder all week but I did not notice the twitchy Doo steering I was used to- and expecting. Steering effort on the trail is definitely increased from the G4s I had ridden. I assume its due to the DS4. Not bad, just more than the G4.

The sled rolls up super easy, I rarely had to even think about going wrong foot forward.

I love Shot.

The 9.5 gallon gas tank is stupid. I ran out of fuel in 3.5 hrs. I have a tunnel bag and no room for spare gas. Please figure out a bigger tank Doo.

The glove box works for a few small things but is super awkward and could easily be twice as big from the factory and not look stupid.

Sooo many fasteners on the side panels.

Engagement is high, and a few times I think it actually engaged as the boost was hitting, and I would instantly be stuck- in the flats.

Driveshaft/chain issues are starting to make me nervous, not because they are super common YET, but because it would not be a fun tow out/mtn fix.

And now my big issue... it is unpredictable on edge. I'm a decent rider but I just do not have confidence in steep terrain and trees. It works fine, I can do it, but I'm a little out of control. It's like it constantly wants to wash and go uphill, not terrible, but enough that a guy is constantly having to adjust by pushing and pulling. We didn't encounter any old ruts or tracks, it had just snowed 4-5ft, but even crossing fresh tracks made for some surprises.

My buddies Boost was so predictable, and I instantly felt at home on it. A little input with the feet and the sled goes exactly where you tell it to. The Boost makes good power, but feels unrefined and weaker than the Turbo R. Was also having some bog issues with the Boost, I think it was a combination of not enough intake surface area and the charge tube collapsing.

Bottom line for me is that I love this sled, but I don't think I will ever be able to comfortably ride it in the terrain I love the most. I could sidehill my 2019 Pro one handed through rutted out trees. That's completely out of the question on this sled. I'll probably be in the market for a Boost in 2024, but in the meantime I'm gonna rip this sled and enjoy it. It really is an incredible sled, but I don't think it fits the bill for me.

Last edited:
M
Jan 26, 2013
I absolutely love my 23 expert package 165 turbo r. My only regret is with everyone saying how much better a Polaris is, I should have waited to pick up one on the used market for .50 on the $ seeing as the market will be lousy with all these crapy turbo rs

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Goride I think you would be surprised if you loosened the front track shock a far as possible just keeping a little spring tension on it. It will absorb the ruts and not want to go up the hill.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Got the first ride on my Gen 5 Turbo 154x3 Expert last week... also got to spend a small amount of time (all I needed) on a 22 Polaris Boost, 163x3 Pro.

A little about me- I started riding on XP summits back in 2009. Learned to sidehill, ride the trees, and all that fun stuff on an XP. I didn't know any better but those were terrible sleds. In 2012 I bought a Pro RMK and have been on Polaris since. I typically get a new sled every other year. While owning Polaris sleds I occasionally got to spend some time on Doos (and Cats). I did not ride at all last year. I got rid of my 2019 Polaris 850 and took a year off. I had a couple crappy trips and was sick of the driving (12hrs minimum to good snow and terrain). The Gen 5 came out and got me excited about sledding again, so I went ahead and snowchecked one.

As far as setup goes my sled is all stock. Ski shocks on 3, skis centered on spindle, center shock around 60% tightened, rear clicker on 2, torsion on 2, and limiter strap on agile. I started with the rear shock and torsion both full soft. It was wild in a bad way... clicked both to 2 and was happy with it. I actually found I like the torsion springs for quick and easy adjustment. I've always thought of the quick adjust limiter strap as being gimmicky, but it is super easy use and totally transforms the sled. You can climb almost anything in the precision setting... but the sled handles like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I left it in agile except to test it out on a few climbs. Precision would work great if a guy found himself in a bad place.

First and foremost, the Turbo R is incredible. That engine is the most impressive thing I have seen come from any manufacturer since I started sledding. Riding at 11,000ft you can flip the sled over backwards anytime you want. It starts first pull everytime. Runs buttery smooth. The lag is as close to non existent as it could be with a turbo. It just blows my mind that it runs like it does on 91. Big props to Doo on this powerplant, I've never been this impressed by a motor in ANYTHING. It is wild.

Fit and finish is good. I don't love how the panels and hood all go together, but it works. The clutch cover and engine divider system is pretty cool.

The running boards are the best I've had. We were riding deep powder all week, and I don't think I ever had to stop to kick off ice.

The gauge and intake were constantly covered in snow, but I never had a single powder bog.

Was riding untouched powder all week but I did not notice the twitchy Doo steering I was used to- and expecting. Steering effort on the trail is definitely increased from the G4s I had ridden. I assume its due to the DS4. Not bad, just more than the G4.

The sled rolls up super easy, I rarely had to even think about going wrong foot forward.

I love Shot.

The 9.5 gallon gas tank is stupid. I ran out of fuel in 3.5 hrs. I have a tunnel bag and no room for spare gas. Please figure out a bigger tank Doo.

The glove box works for a few small things but is super awkward and could easily be twice as big from the factory and not look stupid.

Engagement is high, and a few times I think it actually engaged as the boost was hitting, and I would instantly be stuck- in the flats.

Driveshaft/chain issues are starting to make me nervous, not because they are super common YET, but because it would not be a fun tow out/mtn fix.

And now my big issue... it is unpredictable on edge. I'm a decent rider but I just do not have confidence in steep terrain and trees. It works fine, I can do it, but I'm a little out of control. It's like it constantly wants to wash and go uphill, not terrible, but enough that a guy is constantly having to adjust by pushing and pulling. We didn't encounter any old ruts or tracks, it had just snowed 4-5ft, but even crossing fresh tracks made for some surprises.

My buddies Boost was so predictable, and I instantly felt at home on it. A little input with the feet and the sled goes exactly where you tell it to. The Boost makes good power, but feels unrefined and weaker than the Turbo R. Was also having some bog issues with the Boost, I think it was a combination of not enough intake surface area and the charge tube collapsing.

Bottom line for me is that I love this sled, but I don't think I will ever be able to comfortably ride it in the terrain I love the most. I could sidehill my 2019 Pro one handed through rutted out trees. That's completely out of the question on this sled. I'll probably be in the market for a Boost in 2024, but in the meantime I'm gonna rip this sled and enjoy it. It really is an incredible sled, but I don't think it fits the bill for me.

If you are coming off of a Polaris and haven’t road in over a year it’s going to take more than I ride to get the Gen 5 figured out. They are very predictable on edge. Try the loose bolt settings for the limiter strap and stiffen up the rear. 2 on the torsion spring is really soft unless you’re under 150lbs. I can single hand ride across a steep sidehill straight as an arrow with minimal input, sled does not want to go up or down on its own. Very comparable to the matryx chassis but still more lively which I like.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you are coming off of a Polaris and haven’t road in over a year it’s going to take more than I ride to get the Gen 5 figured out. They are very predictable on edge. Try the loose bolt settings for the limiter strap and stiffen up the rear. 2 on the torsion spring is really soft unless you’re under 150lbs. I can single hand ride across a steep sidehill straight as an arrow with minimal input, sled does not want to go up or down on its own. Very comparable to the matryx chassis but still more lively which I like.
I have 3 days on it. I take it you can adjust the strap and make the agile setting even more agile? Not sure I need that but would maybe counter adding torsion spring pressure. I'm 175lbs.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Goride I think you would be surprised if you loosened the front track shock a far as possible just keeping a little spring tension on it. It will absorb the ruts and not want to go up the hill.
Makes sense. I'll loosen it up some and see. On the Polaris I like the front track shock awfully tight.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I have 3 days on it. I take it you can adjust the strap and make the agile setting even more agile? Not sure I need that but would maybe counter adding torsion spring pressure. I'm 175lbs.
Try full length on the limiter and control ski lift with tensioning the rear shock. It will give you better control side hilling. Polaris still shines in this terrain but you can get the Gen 5 very close.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Try full length on the limiter and control ski lift with tensioning the rear shock. It will give you better control side hilling. Polaris still shines in this terrain but you can get the Gen 5 very close.
Exactly!!!!!
I always thought their adjustable limiter was a gimmick. They make them heavy handling and you're sucking up whats holding you on the hill when sidehilling. My lynx was fine in the nasty stuff. Just felt heavy but i am dropping to one on limit strap and changing skis. Then i will play with shocks

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Exactly!!!!!
I always thought their adjustable limiter was a gimmick. They make them heavy handling and you're sucking up whats holding you on the hill when sidehilling. My lynx was fine in the nasty stuff. Just felt heavy but i am dropping to one on limit strap and changing skis. Then i will play with shocks
I ran it full loose on my 2022 and never changed it, same on my Gen 5. A buddy of mine just picked up his RE, interested in trying it out.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Full loose? Someone likes the skis in the sky. IMO I would not be doing that to a stock valved G5, way to soft.
Mine is set to 7 1/2” which is the stock factory position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Gonna be an unpopular opinion here in the Doo forum, but I’ll go there ? …a guy shouldn’t have to be making bizarre suspension settings and revalving shocks to get it almost close to the Polaris. As long as you don’t have the rear shock locked out on the Polaris it works great, adjustments of course allow you to fine tune the overall feel but its pretty difficult to make it feel out of control or difficult to ride.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Will reiterate that it can all be done on the Doo. Its just not confidence inspiring at times. Muskoka Freeriders videos do a good job of showing it. He and his buddies go everywhere on the Doos, and love it, but you can tell he has more control and works less when he is on the Polaris. Hence the reason he got a Polaris as his tight, steep, tree machine.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Will reiterate that it can all be done on the Doo. Its just not confidence inspiring at times. Muskoka Freeriders videos do a good job of showing it. He and his buddies go everywhere on the Doos, and love it, but you can tell he has more control and works less when he is on the Polaris. Hence the reason he got a Polaris as his tight, steep, tree machine.
Nailed, from Muskoka's first ride on the gen 5 until presently he has not been as precise and in control and it really showed when he jumped on the polaris where he is going where he wants with precision and control.
He does take the doo wherever he wants and with Doo's power advantage he will get up some places the polaris will struggle to get. Looks like he is really enjoying the Poo and the Doo?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Gonna be an unpopular opinion here in the Doo forum, but I’ll go there ? …a guy shouldn’t have to be making bizarre suspension settings and revalving shocks to get it almost close to the Polaris. As long as you don’t have the rear shock locked out on the Polaris it works great, adjustments of course allow you to fine tune the overall feel but its pretty difficult to make it feel out of control or difficult to ride.
Don't have to get the doo like a polaris. Turns out polaris makes a sled that feels like a polaris. Buy that. I just don't want bars jerked out of my hands or steers twice as easy but you're running the bars 3 times as much. Remedy that and it still doesn't feel like a polaris

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Don't have to get the doo like a polaris. Turns out polaris makes a sled that feels like a polaris. Buy that. I just don't want bars jerked out of my hands or steers twice as easy but you're running the bars 3 times as much. Remedy that and it still doesn't feel like a polaris
I was referencing post #30 when I said "almost close to a Polaris".

And like I said, I probably will buy a Polaris. Its more comfortable for what and how I ride. Does that make it a better sled? No.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT

I love Shot.

Nice review! I completely agree.

I'm a long time Cat rider but have been riding snowbike mostly the last 4 seasons. I still borrow or hop on a sled occasionally and put me on a Polaris or a Cat and feel 100% confident like I've been riding every weekend. Put me on a Gen 4 or 5 and I just feel like a fish out of water.

I honestly love the Doo quality and fit and finish. Rode a buddies 23 Expert 154 Turbo and was blown away with power and mapping. Just runs absolutely spot on. I also rode a 23 Freeride NA 154x2.5. I like both of those better than the 2020 Gen 4 SP 850 I've ridden. The steering still feels weird and twitchy to me. It steers lighter but its just hyperactive. Would love to play with suspension setup and skis and see if I could get more comfortable. I'm not confident in trees at all on the Doos.

Rode my other buddy's 22 155 Khaos Boost and felt great. Right into the trees without hesitation. The power is less and mapping feels worse than most aftermarket turbos I've ridden (weird stuttery flat spot around 5k) but the sled just goes exactly where I want it to. Even the Khaos feels like way less ski lift than the Turbo R.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Every post that describes not being like a Polaris, and every post describing how to "make it a Polaris". Seems tantamount to a gender swap. If I wanted something to handle like a Polaris, guessing I would purchase one. Making a huge assumption that every sled has to, and or should, handle like a poo. A lot of mega bits used trying convince people their ski doo preference was wrong. My $24,000 was well spent. Probably have to change my screen name to "unpopular dumba$$". Peace, I love backcountry sledding!

Premium Features