• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rubbing sound/ vibration coming from front track area

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
2016 Axys 155"x2.6" belt drive

The last 2 rides I've noticed what feels like a rubbing/vibration coming from the front track area.

The first time I felt it, I stopped and checked everything out and couldn't find anything out of place. Then on the trail ride out I didn't notice it anymore, so I figured it must've been from ice buildup in the tunnel.

When the sled thawed out, I checked everything out and nothing is bent/broken. The track seemed pretty loose so I tightened it a bit. I didn't have a spring scale so I guessed the best I could by looking at YouTube videos and internet photos.

This weekend when riding, I noticed the vibration right away, in the parking lot unloading the sled, and it did it all day if I was on the trail. I brought tools with me and played around with tension a bit and nothing changed it at all. Alignment looked good every time I stopped.

I only noticed two things that seemed to indicate a track-related issue: Hyfax are pretty worn down right under the ice scratchers, and the plastic rail caps are pretty worn down as well.

Has anyone experienced this issue that has been able to figure out what the fix is? I saw a few old threads saying the front edge of the hyfax catches the track windows, but I never saw a solution to that problem.

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i had that problem on my 13 pro but after it thawed out the problem went away ,it did it to me a few times , have you let it thaw out yet ?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I experienced something like that, and it turned out to be a clutch-burned spot in the belt. Wasn't drastic, but quite noticeable, enough that I was a little afraid to take it anywhere. Not sure how likely that is to be your problem, but it only takes a few minutes to swap belts.

Alpine Xtreme Edge

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2017
Oregon
Not sure on the axys skid specifically, but on some models...once the hyfax is worn substantially, the tips of the track drive cogs can nic the cross bars that tie the skid rails together causing a vibration.

A broken front skid through tunnel mounting bolt can caused some weird sounds / vibrations if found before it turns into a bigger problem.

As mentioned above, a bad spot in drive belt will vibrate and feel like a bigger problem than it is.

Broken limiter straps can cause chaos.

Ice/snow build-up in the tunnel @ the bulkhead (pro models - not std rmk) can cause annoying vibrations.

If still unidentifiable, I would replace your worn rail tips / hyfax as a starting point.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
i had that problem on my 13 pro but after it thawed out the problem went away ,it did it to me a few times , have you let it thaw out yet ?

Yes it was completely thawed out after the first time it did it, and started doing it the second time before it even had a chance to get more ice built up in it

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start with a new belt and double check for broken/worn parts. New hyfax are ordered and I'll add rail caps to that

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I discovered one of the rear wheels had a lot of wobble to it. Replaced it and things seem much better, but I still notice the vibration every once in a while. It feels like there is still some "drag" somewhere in the driveline. New belt, hyfax, rail caps and tensioner the track to spec. My rails don't look bent but I'm wondering if there is a slight curve to them that's just hard to see with them in the sled.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
2016 Axys 155"x2.6" belt drive

The last 2 rides I've noticed what feels like a rubbing/vibration coming from the front track area.

The first time I felt it, I stopped and checked everything out and couldn't find anything out of place. Then on the trail ride out I didn't notice it anymore, so I figured it must've been from ice buildup in the tunnel.

When the sled thawed out, I checked everything out and nothing is bent/broken. The track seemed pretty loose so I tightened it a bit. I didn't have a spring scale so I guessed the best I could by looking at YouTube videos and internet photos.

This weekend when riding, I noticed the vibration right away, in the parking lot unloading the sled, and it did it all day if I was on the trail. I brought tools with me and played around with tension a bit and nothing changed it at all. Alignment looked good every time I stopped.

I only noticed two things that seemed to indicate a track-related issue: Hyfax are pretty worn down right under the ice scratchers, and the plastic rail caps are pretty worn down as well.

Has anyone experienced this issue that has been able to figure out what the fix is? I saw a few old threads saying the front edge of the hyfax catches the track windows, but I never saw a solution to that problem.
These tracks are loud,,,, the longer tracks are even louder. Ice build up on the drivers can give a "ratching" feel, or increased vibration as well, and is more pronouced in DEEP power days when you can't let the sled thaw out between rides. My track on my 163 has been loud and produces a vibration you can feel in the boards since day one. 2200 miles now.... zero issues. Tension doesn't seem to help it much. if you get a chance to ride an Alpha... you'll feel MUCH more normal about noise / harsness due to the track. :)

Hifax being worn out could is mostly due to age probably. 16, non-fully clipped track they are pretty worn down I'd wager if they have never been replaced. That being said, I am still on my orignals, with 50% life+ left on them. My front rail caps also have signs of wear, but not extreme. Can you provide some pictures?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
These tracks are loud,,,, the longer tracks are even louder. Ice build up on the drivers can give a "ratching" feel, or increased vibration as well, and is more pronouced in DEEP power days when you can't let the sled thaw out between rides. My track on my 163 has been loud and produces a vibration you can feel in the boards since day one. 2200 miles now.... zero issues. Tension doesn't seem to help it much. if you get a chance to ride an Alpha... you'll feel MUCH more normal about noise / harsness due to the track. :)

Hifax being worn out could is mostly due to age probably. 16, non-fully clipped track they are pretty worn down I'd wager if they have never been replaced. That being said, I am still on my orignals, with 50% life+ left on them. My front rail caps also have signs of wear, but not extreme. Can you provide some pictures?
I'll try to get some pics next time I'm with the sled, and yes I've spent a couple days on an Alpha and I know exactly what you're talking about!

My girlfriend has a Summit expert with a 165"x3" and it also has quite a bit of vibration. Mine feels similar but I don't notice it on my dad's sled which is identical to mine other than being a year newer.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I'd also check your Drive Shaft Bearings... I have not had good luck with brearings on my 16........ Upper Idler seals failed and the locked up two seaons ago... might be worth pulling skid and checking them. They are on my to-do-list for replacement this summer.

Premium Features