• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Pro guys using Arctic Cat Belt

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Just a heads up for the Polaris guys. We have been running an Arctic Cat belt on the Pro RMK and a few 800 RMKs for the past year with awesome results. You need to adjust your deflection slightly, but it seem to pull harder, adds 100-200 rpm on the top, last longer, and they are half the price of the Polaris belts.

PM me if you have questions.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it, gonna give it a try.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Sorry if this is stupid, but just to confirm here...the deflection that needs to be adjusted if running the 048 CAT belt is what makes the belt sit the proper height above the secondary clutch...right? It's what's adjusted using the bolt and alen screw on the front of the secondary?

Just making sure I am thinking properly when it comes to "deflection".

I am ordering an 048 for a spare on the Pro from Michelle!!

Thanks guys,
Ryan

S

shell_guy

Jan 28, 2008
Red Deer, AB
Sorry if this is stupid, but just to confirm here...the deflection that needs to be adjusted if running the 048 CAT belt is what makes the belt sit the proper height above the secondary clutch...right? It's what's adjusted using the bolt and alen screw on the front of the secondary?

Just making sure I am thinking properly when it comes to "deflection".

I am ordering an 048 for a spare on the Pro from Michelle!!

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Yes, that is exactly that deflection is. I personally set mine by tightening the belt untill the sled starts creeping forward at idle then slack it off just a hair. A tight belt is a fast belt!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, anyone who has followed my posts for very long knows I am a hater on the sled manufacturers for stupid high prices on parts.

My regular ride is an 02 Polaris Edge with a Carl's 910 and a 159x2.4 track on it. I've tried every belt available over the past few years to see which ones give me the best mileage. I have NOT tried the Cat belt, maybe I will. BUT 2 years ago I went to the 115 Polaris belt on the 910 and that belt is friggin' indestructable. I have gotten a full season on one belt the last 2 years running that belt and at that rate I'll pay the $150 for each. I go through Dayco or 080s or whatever every few rides.

So I may have to try the Cat belt, but keep the 115 just in case. I'm not going to complain about the 115, its bullet proof.

sled_guy

O

octane

Dec 3, 2007
Great Falls, MT
My 2008 Cat Service Manual shows the 046 at 46 3/16" long and the 048 at 47 3/16" long. Is my manual broken or is the 048 really an inch longer? A 115 is just a tad over 46 3/16" (about .050").

Rick, does the Cat Service Manual give the belt width, side angle, and belt compand? It would be interesting to see how the rest of the dimensions and belt compounds compare to the polaris belts.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If they are an inch longer, never gonna get max track speed at full shift. Anyone actually take a tape to a 48? I measure all my belts, last year, found the "just received" 115's slightly wider than the previous year's 115's, belt to belt at the stealer, maybe just a lot anomoly, I suspect, but the difference was measurable. FWIW. Still pays to measure, even a cut belt.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
If they are an inch longer, never gonna get max track speed at full shift.

Kind of what I was thinking... a belt that gives you 150-200 rpm means that it is not turning the track as much so it isn't necessarily a good thing. My buddy used the Ultimax on his Pro last year and took it off around 750 miles with no issues. When I used his sled, he flat out told me to try to blow the belt up so he could warranty it. Believe me, I tried. Made lots of long hot pulls and couldn't make a difference.

Rt

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Ok, anyone who has followed my posts for very long knows I am a hater on the sled manufacturers for stupid high prices on parts.

My regular ride is an 02 Polaris Edge with a Carl's 910 and a 159x2.4 track on it. I've tried every belt available over the past few years to see which ones give me the best mileage. I have NOT tried the Cat belt, maybe I will. BUT 2 years ago I went to the 115 Polaris belt on the 910 and that belt is friggin' indestructable. I have gotten a full season on one belt the last 2 years running that belt and at that rate I'll pay the $150 for each. I go through Dayco or 080s or whatever every few rides.

So I may have to try the Cat belt, but keep the 115 just in case. I'm not going to complain about the 115, its bullet proof.

sled_guy

I agree completely. I could easily get a full season on a 1115 on my 900 RMK and likely alot more. They always looked perfect at the end of the season. The price isn't an issue to me when they stand up that well.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
For those running the 115, I'm curious why you haven't already switched to the 122...similar compound as the 115, but cut instead of ground.

Exact same dimensions as the 115, so no clutch adjustment needed.

And the best part...$80-90 (about 1/2 of the 115).

my2c

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
It's from the T660, right?

I just ordered one, will swap it with the stocker to break it in and see how much adjusting/differences are next ride, and report back.

Just a heads up for the Polaris guys. We have been running an Arctic Cat belt on the Pro RMK and a few 800 RMKs for the past year with awesome results. You need to adjust your deflection slightly, but it seem to pull harder, adds 100-200 rpm on the top, last longer, and they are half the price of the Polaris belts.

PM me if you have questions.

T

tomlee76

Nov 30, 2007
Bedford NH
I am just going to take my buddies belts off his asphalt sled. He has 6 of them that have about 8 miles on each one, i should be good for a life time. I know my SB assault will be fine for a few hundred miles on each one. If not I would try the 122, however if they last a year and you have no issues who really cares about $190 bucks.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
For those running the 115, I'm curious why you haven't already switched to the 122...similar compound as the 115, but cut instead of ground.

my2c

122 is a softer compound, you will run lower RPM's by a hund or so, more dust, more wear, faster out of spec, and they do grenade. Just my experience on the '10 RMK's. Buddy swears by the 122, but we watch our belts and deflection closely, don't push the wear limits. Myself, happy with the performance and durability of the 115, but I had and still have doos, the poo is like a clutching vacation.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

my2c

I agree on the 122, that's what our group runs as well. Jkinzer runs them on his TD-8.

As for the price though, I think we have been paying $120 ish????

The 115 is indestructable, well I actually destructued one. The only thing I don't like about the 115 belt is the abrasiveness really wears on the clutch sheeves.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I haven't tried the 122... I got a deal on the 115s a couple of years ago so I bought 5 of them... I still have 3 brand new ones hanging on the wall.

sled_guy

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dave... what did you destroy the 115 on??
Was the sled a problematic belt eater in general.

I have seen the 3211115 belts hold up VERY well... How many of you guys are torching these belts... Most of the feedback I am getting is that they last more than a season of hard/long riding.

The only thing that I am skeptical is that the 048 belt is an inch longer... I agree with Reg2View... moving the deflection out to compensate for an inch longer belt will affect how far into the secondary sheave the belt will be allowed to shift into....

You will have better starting leverage (like slightly raising the gear ratio in the chaincase)... but the downside is that the top track speed will change...

HMMMM....

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Myself, happy with the performance and durability of the 115, but I had and still have doos, the poo is like a clutching vacation.

SOOO tempting to post a link on the other side of town! LOL

But on the topic, are we celebrating the 115 as a belt that cures a poor-belt problem (new sleds, more power, more track), or are we curing poor clutching by making an indestructable belt??

I'd be happy to buy a belt when the machine is new and pay another $190 so I can sell it with a new belt, but I would hate to give up performance/conceal tuning issues with a rock hard belt!?

Thoughts?

Premium Features