• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Inviting all sledders to West Yellowstone

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Nov 27, 2007
totally agree Scott...to see conditions which I will agree were good you would have to bore yourself with a bunch of bs on who owed who a beer and what ever else totally not related to conditions...a site with just conditions will be nice to see...I have stayed out of this but I think it was a win win as he could advertise his place and in trade gave us conditions...my biggest thing was who reallly cares how many posts one has...there new site I think one of them kept it going all night to accumulate posts...whoooohoooooo. Snow west is a great site and appreciated by MOST fellow riders

S
Dec 21, 2007
chisago lakes, mn
a better thread or website for west yellow conditions

kurt- although you have had some strange/rude posts lately, i have enjoyed and utilized your posts in the past. i was glad to see at the very least you thanked snowest for the free advertising, before trying to make some money with your new site. it is free country and i truly wish you the best. i want your new venture to work so i have another place to get snow condition info-- i checked out the backcountry site and it appears to be the same few guys sending idiotic posts to each other to see who accumulates the most posts. i would think advertisers would prefer a site that gets hits from actual riders/spenders of money than big kids that want to have a 'posting' record. you guys should check out posters like winterbrew and big john. they have many posts, but always helpful without a bunch of BS. they would truly be missed by us readers of snowest. i think i have a better idea for us riders looking for info---i go out to west once or twice a year, and never post anything- selfishly relying on others(like kurt) for conditions. from now on, i commit to posting timely pics and conditions when i am in west. if more of us do this we would have a far better/useful thread than this one anyway. i'm open to doing this on any web site.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
I wish it was more like it was a couple months ago. It sure seemed like a lot less crap on the website to deal with. I'll be down the 1st-3rd. Maybe the 31st as well. And I would like to know if anyone has been out riding yet. I guess I'll hope for the best. Maybe I'll see someone from the site down there. I am bringing my gf who has only been out with me on one short day last Sunday. I am hoping she will have some fun ans if anyone would like to ride with us, send me a PM and we might be able to fit you into our small 2 person/1 sled riding group. Thanx all and lets hope things can get back to how they used to be. Merry Christmas!

I have been following the conditions from the other site, and it looks like West really needs a good dumping to come thru. They do have snow, but there is still alot of landmines out there to watch out for.

I will be out there early next week (Dec 28th thru the 2nd), and will try to post conditions. Also the weather is looking like next week will be snow (still pretty early to tell though).

Good luck all.

If it helps...

I was unable to make it up, but my guide and a buddy of the shops went out and at first were disapointed, but then like a light switch at around 8500 feet there was snow. Dug a pit and found a few weak layers to be concerned with along with 4-4.5 feet of snow. Here are some pics taken with the phone camera and hopefully a few more pics after tomorrows ride.

10h0mk8.jpg

dqmbg2.jpg

L

LADYREV800

Dec 1, 2007
MT2AK
Ace - Is that off towards Lionshead or Cabin Creek maybe Sheep? Thanx for the encouraging pics!

Hey Jayson you interested in meeting up sometime early next week for a ride in West/I.P? Andy and I are in MT for the Holidays and we are talking about going riding that way.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
How does the snow in West Yellowstone look right now?

I'm trying to decide if I wanna leave for there or Island Park on Sunday :D

Also, anybody here ever head to West Yellowstone from central Wyoming?

I'm thinking it's probably gonna be a long *** drive ... probably have to go through Driggs .... any ideas on that?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Merry Christmas All........The boys and I were watching an old video of them at age 10 (now they're 20) riding IP and Lionshead. We were thinking about making a run for old times sake to see if the hills were as big as they looked on their Phazers back then. lol.

How is the snow for some mountain riding in the area? Is Alice's still near Lionshead? We stayed at some big cabins across the road from Lionshead/Alice's, are they still available? Name? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. We'd come over next week early if the snow is good. Otherwise its north to BC for a few days. Thanks in advance. EW

we went to big sky today and had a great day. they have a decent base and we climbed most of the day. not a severe avalanche danger in big sky i didn't think. in town its definitely lacking but at about 8000 ft it gets pretty good. we even had a couple people get stuck today. if you're looking for real deep powder i'd stay away but its definitely not low enough to turn me away. higher danger of hitting rocks of course but better climbing and jumping then usual for this time of year. so thats my .02

M
Jun 19, 2008
Thanks for the update helmethair! Thats about what I was thinking the conditions are like. We are headed from MN Wednesday evening and will be in town Thursday morning!! We are familiar with Cabin, Teppee etc. Never been up to big sky though. I assume you trailer them up but where do you park?

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Pretty sure they mean that they rode cabin!!! Not big sky, hopefully they get some fresh for you guy's have a good time first time in 15 years that I have not been out there at this time.

Premium Features