• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gunnison/Crested Butte

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Glad to hear you're safe.
Robinsons would be like Russian Roulette right now - more windo on Thurs.

Scarp's Ridge is closed as it is part of the Area Irwin Lodge is trying to get insurance for , so they can apply for permits. Molly put no tresspass signs out a few weeks ago.

Be carefull - should be an awesome weekend.

MD.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado

Scarp's Ridge is closed as it is part of the Area Irwin Lodge is trying to get insurance for , so they can apply for permits. Molly put no tresspass signs out a few weeks ago.

MD.

What is the status of the lodge??? I was under the impression you could still access Scarp's ridge. We used to ride it when the lodge was open and offering cat skiing. We were there before Christmas.

Sam

Last edited:
G
What is the status of the lodge??? I was under the impression you could still access Scarp's ridge. We used to ride it when the lodge was open and offering cat skiing. We were there before Christmas.

Sam

The lodge has been bought. The Owners are in the process of re-applying for there snow cat ski permits. in order to qualify for insurance they have to first regain control of their property. They have had NO TRESSPASSING signs up for months, well before I ever made it to the headframe at rolling hills in the cat. (before thanksgiving)

Their property starts at the headframe in rolling hills,(NT signs have been there for months) from the movie hut up is closed to all traffic skiers/SB'rs included. They have asked there be no sled traffic up the road to the lodge.
Accessing scrap's from the lodge is considered tresspassing.

Scarps can be accessed from the upper end of Irwin Town Site. Most locals know what i am talking about. It makes accessing Scarps more risky, as its a sidehill boondock trail. But It can be done.

If anyone see's people burning up and down the road stop them and pass on the word. NO TRESSPASSING means just that. There is a reason the GCS has not been running the snocat through the headframe and back through the Campgrounds. We are hoping people will work with them. GCS hope is once they have permits and insurance and reopen the lodge that it will be sled friendily and open to the public. If people keep tresspassing the likily hood that the lodge being not sled friendily and open to the public is more likely than not.

I was out to the Y and back last night in the cat. There was another 12"+ fresh and more coming. wind was a howling. Turbo will hit the safe stuff again friday night weather permiting.

Sled safe, ride together, This is no time be be a HERO, there is plenty of freshie fresh for everyone.

clint

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
May be a little off the topic but i'll ask anyways....

Any you guys hunt deer down there? I try to have a landowner tag on one of the gunni units every year and it is always subject to winter kill, more than any area i know of. It swings the populations greatly. Sorry guys but i hope the snowman treats you poorly!;) how's the snow depths on the fingers that run down to the towns and around almont? or lake city?

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
TAPEX with a 2871 should get the job done. Weather may break a little this weekend. We ride smart and safe. Someone said something about a beacon. We NEVER ride without them, although I DO NOT want to put it to use. Scarf (sp.) ridge will be interesting. I would imagine there are some rather "large" cornices up there now.

Sam

Tapex..................... what is that..............something about 250hp+. Sounds like the tool for the job.

I have'nt seen the signage but there is no access to Scarps from the lodge road.

We may peek our heads into the area (around the Y and Spains) today. Will give a report and pics (with MtnDoo's help) tonight

Will keep my ears open the the "chirping" of your Tapex this weekend

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Tapex..................... what is that..............something about 250hp+. Sounds like the tool for the job.

I have'nt seen the signage but there is no access to Scarps from the lodge road.

We may peek our heads into the area (around the Y and Spains) today. Will give a report and pics (with MtnDoo's help) tonight

Will keep my ears open the the "chirping" of your Tapex this weekend

Snow report would be GREAT. Thanks. Looks like the Tapex is out for the weekend. Just found a little metal in the oil. Will be on an 800 Dragon instead. There will be a couple of other "boosted" sleds in the group though.

Sam

G
May be a little off the topic but i'll ask anyways....

Any you guys hunt deer down there? I try to have a landowner tag on one of the gunni units every year and it is always subject to winter kill, more than any area i know of. It swings the populations greatly. Sorry guys but i hope the snowman treats you poorly!;) how's the snow depths on the fingers that run down to the towns and around almont? or lake city?

from lost canyon on over too almont there is 4ft. just enough to make it look like there isnt any sagebruch. winter kill will be huge this yr. I have seen alot of dead deer out in the fields and on the river. 5 just this week. to far from road to have been hit by a car.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Yup the three guys that looked like ghosts and shaking like leaves...

Good point. We were a bit scared and dissorientated. I think we should go back to the cabin to make sure that we didn't forget something. Doo a little riding on the way and report back to everyone on the snow conditions. Are you down? If so pick you up tonight, sneek back in the afternoon and the wives will think we just went to work tomorrow.

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado

MD.

MD, How far to the West on Scarps are they trying to get permits for. I would hope that we still have sled access to the west end of Scarps just below Purple peak. For me that is just about a close to heaven as I can get.
Mark

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
Snow report would be GREAT. Thanks. Looks like the Tapex is out for the weekend. Just found a little metal in the oil. Will be on an 800 Dragon instead. There will be a couple of other "boosted" sleds in the group though.

Sam

Sammy, I hope my bad luck from the last 2 yrs hasn't moved on to you. LOL
Metal in the oil just plain sucks!!!!!!!:mad:

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
Snow Report

Sam

Sorry to hear about the Apex, hope it works out quickly. Stock is not as good as what you got, but I am guessing that Dragon is like sex and pizza. "Even when its bad its still pretty good."

So.............I have snow report.............But it is for Pitkin rather than Irwin.
One of the guys lives up near Pitkin. He is a plumber and had to check on a boiler that is not working up in Chicago Park. What a great reason to ride a lot of private land. It was great. Huge Parks with nice south facing hills. 3 feet of powder on top of a 2 or 3 foot base.
Outstanding views, The Collegiates to the east, Tomichi Dome, San Luis Peak off to the south. I would'nt be explaining it if I didnt forget the camara in the truck.
It was a good warmup for what promises to be a epic weekend.:)

Last edited:
Premium Features