• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gas can mount location

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Which position should I mount it?

Does it matter being a little closer to the seat? I put on the backwoods rear bumper, so tunnel is sturdier if that matters.

gc1.jpg gc2.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
As close to seat as possible. It drastically affects how the sled performs. In steep terrain when packing gas. My 155 khaos is really hard to ride with my 3.3 mtn addiction can full and it's about 6" behind seat due to the rmk essentials bag. Dumping it into my sled majorly affects the weight bias.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
For about 3 years I carried a 2.5 gal spare fuel fuel on my 2018 AXYS 800 and finally poured that treated fuel into my car and took the 2.5 container and left it full of treated fuel in the trailer. I have many times run the sled over 80 miles and only had used just over 1/2 tank fuel upon running back to the truck/trailer. This is my train of thought, just ride and don't take extra fuel, if you get low on fuel at about 120 miles, time to head for the truck and hopefully the truck is still within 50 miles or so as you will make that!! Besides, someone in my group also caries some extra fuel if needed, please loan me a gallon or so!! Yes, on my 11 PRO 800 and prior , the 07 700 Dragon , I needed extra fuel but on the AXYS and the newer Matryx , not so on less than 100 mile days. my thoughts only here and take that for what it is worth!
gtwitch in wyoming

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I always run it as far forward as possible for the trail up . Bent a few tunnels back in the day running them further back

28BA49D7-CC59-4AD3-BDBA-F12B28ADA18C.jpeg 8F00AF64-3D4C-4859-B3B3-44C8D8479E1F.jpeg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
For about 3 years I carried a 2.5 gal spare fuel fuel on my 2018 AXYS 800 and finally poured that treated fuel into my car and took the 2.5 container and left it full of treated fuel in the trailer. I have many times run the sled over 80 miles and only had used just over 1/2 tank fuel upon running back to the truck/trailer. This is my train of thought, just ride and don't take extra fuel, if you get low on fuel at about 120 miles, time to head for the truck and hopefully the truck is still within 50 miles or so as you will make that!! Besides, someone in my group also caries some extra fuel if needed, please loan me a gallon or so!! Yes, on my 11 PRO 800 and prior , the 07 700 Dragon , I needed extra fuel but on the AXYS and the newer Matryx , not so on less than 100 mile days. my thoughts only here and take that for what it is worth!
gtwitch in wyoming
That is impressive milage!

typically use my spare gas every ride, and sometimes I’ll use my buddies gas as well.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Yes I agree, most of our riding after we get about 10 or so miles from the truck is in the trees and steep and deep if that snow is there, many times we will only get as the crow flys no more that 12 to 17 miles from the truck all day when that kind of snow is in front of us!! So if you do more than 50 or so miles in that day , your arms are tired and your butt is dragging, but the gas gauge still will be at 1/2 or about.. We still have not enough snow here in SE Wyoming and our Club ( Snowy Range Snowmobile Club) is working on getting the third Safety Shelter ready to go to the mountain. That should be in place at Lake Marie about the time the Wy DOT shuts HYW 130 down for the season.
gtwitch in wyoming

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
My boost is good for maybe 45 miles when it's not deep out ans I'm dry. I've run thru over 17 gallons one day last winter and only reason I went home was I was out of peoples gas to siphon 😂

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Yes I agree, most of our riding after we get about 10 or so miles from the truck is in the trees and steep and deep if that snow is there, many times we will only get as the crow flys no more that 12 to 17 miles from the truck all day when that kind of snow is in front of us!! So if you do more than 50 or so miles in that day , your arms are tired and your butt is dragging, but the gas gauge still will be at 1/2 or about.. We still have not enough snow here in SE Wyoming and our Club ( Snowy Range Snowmobile Club) is working on getting the third Safety Shelter ready to go to the mountain. That should be in place at Lake Marie about the time the Wy DOT shuts HYW 130 down for the season.
gtwitch in wyoming

I've been sledding for about 15 years. Anymore, most of the time if I have 40/50/60 miles on the sled when I get back, it was a good ride. Especially when the trail ride is about 12 miles one way. At 50 miles, my gas is below 1/2 a tank. But I'm heavy on the throttle in the powder. Buddies make fun of me saying they know which tracks are mine. lol

But - on the few really deep days we have, I like taking advantage of it and I need to pack gas. I just picked up a 9r, I'm thinking that will suck down a little more gas than my previous 850.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
gtwitch in wyoming
You ride like a Karen... I have run out completely at 29 miles on my Boost. 37 miles on my 9R. But I agree with packing fuel. I never do it. I go home when I run out of fuel.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
You ride like a Karen... I have run out completely at 29 miles on my Boost. 37 miles on my 9R. But I agree with packing fuel. I never do it. I go home when I run out of fuel.

You must not have to ride very much trail to get to the good riding. I have to where I live.

Try riding 25 miles trail, round trip; to get to the riding. Then add whoops on top of that to the trail, and let us know how you feel. ha

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That is impressive milage!

typically use my spare gas every ride, and sometimes I’ll use my buddies gas as well.

My boost is good for maybe 45 miles when it's not deep out ans I'm dry. I've run thru over 17 gallons one day last winter and only reason I went home was I was out of peoples gas to siphon 😂

^^^^^^these are just nice ways of saying……

You ride like a Karen... I have run out completely at 29 miles on my Boost. 37 miles on my 9R.
This. ^^^^ 😂

Chaddilac is obviously wrong about packing gas but that’s to be expected.

Last edited:
Premium Features