• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

iBackshift clutch for technical tree riding Gen 5 na

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I have a new to me ‘23 165 na, ride technical trees in the Rockies. In my last sled I had a cycles and sleds clutch on a ‘22 Polaris pro and loved how snappy and responsive it was off the bottom. It was noticeable and made the riding I do more enjoyable.

I’m curious to hear from this of you who ride similar terrain with the ibackshift kit. How do you like it in the technical trees? The main thing I’m looking for is for the sled to be snappy and responsive off the bottom. Does ibackshift give this?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I have a new to me ‘23 165 na, ride technical trees in the Rockies. In my last sled I had a cycles and sleds clutch on a ‘22 Polaris pro and loved how snappy and responsive it was off the bottom. It was noticeable and made the riding I do more enjoyable.

I’m curious to hear from this of you who ride similar terrain with the ibackshift kit. How do you like it in the technical trees? The main thing I’m looking for is for the sled to be snappy and responsive off the bottom. Does ibackshift give this?

Yes it does, your thumb will be more connected to the track, and it will build trackspeed quicker. My motto is “the guy to the first tree wins”lol so I am talking about the “burst” speed from crawling around at an idle to WOT when you need that quick increased momentum. Of course other things help with that like suspension setup to get up on the snow quick.
Joes clutching in my G5 turbo makes my sled feel like a NA on the bottom end. Comparing to my brother’s stock clutched G5 turbo.
For example, We had our uncle out to Revy this past January, He’s a flatland rider, but We all took turns riding each other’s sleds, my uncle’s comment on mine was my sled was way more responsive, and snappy.

I have my sled setup to engage at 36-3700 rpm (my personal choice of primary spring), from the stock engagement of 4100rpm on the turbo, the G5 turbo is that responsive I am actually thinking of going lower on the engagement to try it out.

I know I am talking turbo here, but turbos are not normally known for their snappy bottom end, so I can only imagine a NA G5 will be that much better with a lower engagement like 2900rpm.

You should also consider his ski bushings for your skis, to tighten them up. Skidoo has a sloppy ski bushing that negatively affects its reliability and handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
you can also run a 19 tooth top sprocket if you’re concerned with better track speed/acceleration, it’s a cheap and easy mod. just make sure the new sprocket is compatible with whatever type of chain and bottom sprocket you have.
I’ve done this mod to all my 165’s.

I
Feb 20, 2023
USA
I have my sled setup to engage at 36-3700 rpm (my personal choice of primary spring), from the stock engagement of 4100rpm on the turbo, the G5 turbo is that responsive I am actually thinking of going lower on the engagement to try it out.
How spring rate 125/250?

D
Dec 22, 2018
Yes it does, your thumb will be more connected to the track, and it will build trackspeed quicker. My motto is “the guy to the first tree wins”lol so I am talking about the “burst” speed from crawling around at an idle to WOT when you need that quick increased momentum. Of course other things help with that like suspension setup to get up on the snow quick.
Joes clutching in my G5 turbo makes my sled feel like a NA on the bottom end. Comparing to my brother’s stock clutched G5 turbo.
For example, We had our uncle out to Revy this past January, He’s a flatland rider, but We all took turns riding each other’s sleds, my uncle’s comment on mine was my sled was way more responsive, and snappy.

I know I am talking turbo here, but turbos are not normally known for their snappy bottom end, so I can only imagine a NA G5 will be that much better with a lower engagement like 2900rpm.

You should also consider his ski bushings for your skis, to tighten them up. Skidoo has a sloppy ski bushing that negatively affects its reliability and handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the kit will engage hard and track starts pushing right from the start?

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
It only hit's hard if you want it to. If you want to crawl around it'll do that without the hurk and jerk feeling. Excellent clutch kit.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i put one (ibackshift kit) in my new '20 Freeride after being surprised at the very high engagement from the factory. opted for the whole kit and not just the primary spring so i told joe my sled, track length, my weight, type of riding i do, etc and installed the kit. improvement across the board was immediately noticeable and is one of the few products where the performance matched the claims. 2 buddies rode my sled and had his kit in their machines a couple of weeks later. factory clutching is good but still leaves enough to be desired to warrant a kit.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Humm, thinking about it, that depends of the definition/opinion of a BRP “pro rider” is these days.
But I’m Not sure, thats a question for Joe.

Just wondering why not a single pro or semi-pro level rider isnt using this kit. I follow lots of high level riders on different social media platforms and nobody has it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Just wondering why not a single pro or semi-pro level rider isnt using this kit. I follow lots of high level riders on different social media platforms and nobody has it.

There is only a handful pro mtn BRP riders on social media, I have never seen a side panel open on their sled, remember these guys compete and they are competitive, so why reveal anything? I wouldn’t either especially on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Brp PRO riders aren’t there to run kits they are the ones testing skidoos set ups and helping refine them for production sleds someone has to do the testing just like the guys selling kits they got guys testing giving feed back . Driver I agree that a simple spring change can make huge improvements. Some guys like to stick to the same guy for technical support joe gives impeccable technical support

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I put Joes kit in my last three sleds now, and couldn’t be happier. I have used other Kits in the past and I think iBackshift has the quickest back shifting and is the easiest to change weight on the hill if needed. Plus he puts out a great how to install video on YouTube. I have 1,500 miles on my 22 turbo belt and it still looks great! I just installed one on my 24 Summit X turbo and can’t wait to try it out.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Did you ever ask any, even one, if they are allowed to? Pick a rider. Take your clutch setup, whether its yours or someone else's and go up to them in person, or at least talk on the phone, saying "here, try this setup". Make a reach out, so its voice to voice, in person, or, on the phone and get a response. Not email, not dm's, no... Your voice is heard by their ears and vise versa.

Like this one famous guy I asked [and ive known him since our Acat days] said he couldn't if he wanted to because it would offend his clutch guy. Oh boy...:confused:, I never thought of that. His clutch guy is a great guy. Ok ol' chum, I understand, I dont want to offend him either.
Some riders say "naw, i have the sled the way im used to it and dont want to change anything right now".
And, some riders just wont tell you, saying, "its stock".

Those "pro" level riders [your words], the skill gap and/or what they particularly do, repeatedly do such-and-such moves. They are at a level, which [your-word] "pro", that's not the skill degree or use for a good market position, even for a focused group of mountain riders only. You can't broad brush saying everyone [thousands of summit owners in "the mountains"] needs the settings you think pros are using or what you yourself want; even when it comes to "tree riding".

Driver]...etc, dont fit very well to technical riding where you want the sled to be revvy and light feeling.
Joe] Ok, so now so-n-so guy is running what you said to run. Gives it a fair shot for 2~3 tanks of gas. Comes back saying he doesn't want it to be so "revvy". Now what?
  • Tell him to "get used to it", or...
  • Tell him to "you need to learn how to ride the machine", or...
  • Tell him "well, it works for us", or...
  • leave him, or
  • Help him, or...?

Yer demanding perfection according to your own style of riding.
With my kit, a customer has to start out somewhere. The rider has to go out for a tank of gas or two to get their sea-legs with it, so they can get their poise with the new conduct of the sled. Sort out the dislikes from the likes and then if needed, can make a tuning change. Some people want lower engagement than 3000. I get guys who want 4000 rpms. Ok, I can do that.

All the springs are on my website
Clutch kit standard spring is the red primary spring is 100/360 @ 2900ish

If someone wants higher engage I have a 130 start @ 32~3300
If someone wants a higher engage I have a 150 start @ 35~3600
If someone wants a higher engage I have a 170 start @ 3800
If someone wants the lowest engage I have a 70 pound start @ 2600 rpms

If one wants more "revvy", can also change the primary clutch ramp. I have options.
We have all 5[five] BRP turbo ramp models in stock. [there's not 3, there's 5 (five)]
I even made my own ramp. A 57 gram turbo ramp.
My product line has 6 x 850 turbo ramps to choose from.
skidoo 850 turbo clutch kit ibackshift316.jpg

994-761-316-A.jpg

994-761-316-B 21-53gear.jpg

A guy wants revvy. Ok, you got it.
Want less pivot bolt weight. Ok, you got it.

Last edited:
D
Dec 22, 2018
Some guys are pretty secretive on what they are running for clutching I know I’m .
Driver what are these pros running? Do they say ?

Well Ive been riding with many talented people over the years and I could say Im even friends with many of them. Ive been around long enough to say that most of the best (brp) riders ride stock or close to it what comes to clutching. Just some fine tuning mostly, primary spring or pivot weight and thats about it.

There is only a handful pro mtn BRP riders on social media, I have never seen a side panel open on their sled, remember these guys compete and they are competitive, so why reveal anything? I wouldn’t either especially on social media.

Well if we forget about hillclimbing, snowcross, enduro racing whatsoever theres no need to hide what you use on the backcountry. No contest or prizes there. Truth is boring, its mostly stock or close to it.

All the best riders Ive seen dont have torsion springs deleted, they dont have high end shocks, no crazy mod engines, no clutch kits. Still they ride like crazy and do stuff that seems impossible. But this goes only to brp riders, Poo guys nobody seems to ride stock anything lol.

I dont have anything against clutch kits, quite the opposite. Been helping some companies to build and evolve their kits. But there are lots of stuff on the market with no proper validation and Im not talking about DJ. They just say "this is great, this is the best, buy it just like others and dont ask questions". But then Im asking if its so great, why dont riders on the highest level use it?

What I have seen a lot is that amateur and mediocre riders buy a lots of stuff they dont really need, and actually makes their riding worse. Thats one thing Im trying to address. Use your money on gas not parts. Seat hours makes anybody a good rider but parts swap does mostly nothing. Its easy to drop into a hole where you buy more and more stuff believing that finally you will be a better rider. Low down your ego and ride more.

If you watch any of the best backcountry riders from youtube or other social media platforms (Muskoka, Kesterke, Turcotte, Burandt, etc), their sleds run light and easy. Nobody uses heavy loading powertrain and theres a reason for that.

Premium Features