• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Frankensled lights

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Does anyone carry a Frankensled flashlight/something similar that attaches to their helmet just in case it's needed or if you want to try riding at night? As well has anyone found a cheaper alternative to that light?

I am looking for some pros and cons.

I do have a few places where I would like to try some night riding as well I think this would be a good thing to have in the tunnel bag.

509_Colton

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2012
Yakima wa
I carried my oxbow all summer for dirt bikes, only con is space in your tunnel bag. maybe look at buying a spare battery with it as well if you plan to do night rides

Worth having imo

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
If looking for cheap and more emergency check out hard hat/headband type lights. Most come taking regular batteries. I have used Pelican princeton tec and Milwaukee, they make decent ones that hold up and deal with water(rained on) and have good enough battery life and are lite weight. Most come with a sticky mount and a strap that you can use on your head. I keep one with me and extra batteries. With lights seems you get what you pay for. I think everyone should at least have a cheap headband light(nice to do things hands free) Would I trust my pelican light to work and save my bacon? Absolutely. Would I knowingly get into night riding with it? No. Its pretty bright walking and working but not that bright. If I planned on going out at night a bunch Id drop the coin on something that was brighter.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Yes. I keep a battery powered helmet light in my pack, it’s a cheap eBay knockoff but works great. Looks just like the Task helmet light. Can’t ride at night without one imo

And that reminds me that I need to charge it.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have a Frankensled. Luv it. I use it on my helmet and have it in my pack. I tried mountain lab but I had better luck with Frankensled.
Great for around the house too!

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I thoroughly enjoy my Frankensled light. When I ran a headlight delete on my sled it was more than sufficient for getting me out of the backcountry after the sun set.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
Been using frankensled for years, yet to have a failure. This time of year they are used everyday. I carry 2 plus spare batteries as we do a lot of night riding in the trees. I also have extra brackets cause i have had them broken when the light gets ripped off your Helmut with branches. Have waked back on my track several times to find it after, can see the light glowing in the snow. been lucky havnt lost one yet. Picked up an Oxbow going to try it out may be a bit brighter.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Tell me why they (a flash light with a go pro mount) are worth 249 dollars ca? That seems awfully exspensive? I googled the mount it’s readily available and most flashlight are under 100? Just curious

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Tell me why they (a flash light with a go pro mount) are worth 249 dollars ca? That seems awfully exspensive? I googled the mount it’s readily available and most flashlight are under 100? Just curious
How much do you think it should cost?

P
Dec 15, 2018
A guy can buy it if he wants I don’t care I just thought you’d tell me why it was so great. I’ve never bought a 250 dollar flash light before lol. Does it have 9billion lumens ? Is it outer space rated to 10 million feet below sea level? I dunno? I have one that looks just like it that’s blinding that cost 35-40? And a go pro mounts like 5 bucks? Could have …hmmm…let’s see… 600 and 5 for that price of one of them? If you tell me I’ll know it’s a great deal and should cost 400 ca…???!!! Wasn’t bagging on it . I have many over priced pieces of gear lol

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
A guy can buy it if he wants I don’t care I just thought you’d tell me why it was so great. I’ve never bought a 250 dollar flash light before lol. Does it have 9billion lumens ? Is it outer space rated to 10 million feet below sea level? I dunno? I have one that looks just like it that’s blinding that cost 35-40? And a go pro mounts like 5 bucks? Could have …hmmm…let’s see… 600 and 5 for that price of one of them? If you tell me I’ll know it’s a great deal and should cost 400 ca…???!!! Wasn’t bagging on it . I have many over priced pieces of gear lol
Again, how much do you think it should cost?
Or, how much would you pay for it?

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Ok great, now when you get it, post a pic of side by side, light on, with your $35 one.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I have a GoPro mount my buddy machined from plastic just to play with his mini-cnc mill.

Milwaukee 1000 lumen flashlight
Milwaukee headlamp.

Both use the redlithium USB batteries, so I carry both lights and spare battery for each. Have up to 4 batteries available for either one this way.

99% of the time we get caught in the dark it's just getting back to the truck on the trails. I bought a sled with a headlight delete, so I stuck some cheap yellow LED pods in their place. I really haven't needed any more light than what they provide, and being yellow it's much easier to see with them in the blowing snow.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I haven’t really looked into the Frankensled light and I’m pretty intrigued. I have the Oxbow light and then one downside in my opinion to that if you’ve got the cord going to the battery pack in your pack and I just don’t like the cord.

A

antticky

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Finland
I've been using a helmet-mounted light for night rides and it's been a game changer. It's handy for those unexpected low-light conditions and gives me a sense of security when riding at night. I opted for a mid-range LED light, a cost-effective alternative to some pricier brands like Frankensled. It's bright enough for most trails and easy to attach to my helmet. However, one downside is that it can be a bit heavy on the helmet during longer rides. If you're interested in a variety of options, leds.to has a good selection to browse through. They offer different types of articles that include price ranges, which could help find a suitable alternative.

Premium Features