• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heated Goggles Worth it for snowy days?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I usually have more problems with my glasses getting wet then fogging up once I put the goggles back on.
Any suggestions on heated goggles helping that situation?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Found a spare 509 lens in a clearance bin at my local dealer. It did not fit my older 509 frame so I took an old set of goggles and just glued the lens to the frame. I carry a power bank in my back pack and have a 3' cable. Running straight 12 volt works way better. Total cost with power bank was $110 CDN. I would only buy lenses for now on.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Sounds like I might give the 509 S7 S1 goggles a go. Maybe even the tempest goggles. I can't stand a wire coming off the helmet. To the 12v on the sled or in a battery bank.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sounds like I might give the 509 S7 S1 goggles a go. Maybe even the tempest goggles. I can't stand a wire coming off the helmet. To the 12v on the sled or in a battery bank.
Power bank wire just goes over my shoulder and is secured at my shoulder so it is always easy to plug and unplug with gloves on.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Rode with heated CKX goggles and Titan helmet for 2 years, got sick of dealing with the battery pack, installed a power plug on sled, much better heating but still had to deal w the power cord dangling. Now, no heat unless freezing rain or - 25C weather... the secret, use the muzzle to close over the goggles applying pressure to really get the lower frame foam to seal... + good goggle management when taking a break... don't get that foam wet!
I also invested in a CKX helmet, to address the poor battery life I bought a Gerbing 9000 ma 12volt battery used for heating motorcycle clothing. It came with a handy key ring style fob for changing power levels that I located on my coat zipper pull. That big battery has never let me down as I figured it would last over +10 hours on high. The stock battery only lasts about 2 hours . Only issue with non stock was I had to make a custom electric cable between the bigger battery and the stock wiring to the goggle.

Cinno

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Power bank wire just goes over my shoulder and is secured at my shoulder so it is always easy to plug and unplug with gloves on.

I also invested in a CKX helmet, to address the poor battery life I bought a Gerbing 9000 ma 12volt battery used for heating motorcycle clothing. It came with a handy key ring style fob for changing power levels that I located on my coat zipper pull. That big battery has never let me down as I figured it would last over +10 hours on high. The stock battery only lasts about 2 hours . Only issue with non stock was I had to make a custom electric cable between the bigger battery and the stock wiring to the goggle.

Cinno
I can see how that setup is good. Espically for long mileage trail people. I find having a wire going into my jacket is a cumbersome setup for active riding and taking the helmet off for filming.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bought the ckx helmet but never got the heated goggles. It is just way too hot for me. Not enough venting so just got a new klim f5. Now ill probably freeze but will help with fogging goggles.
Another note is any snow on the inside lense and you are screwed. That is why you should try leaving them on or be damn careful if they are off otherwise it will be a fight all day.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Rode with the Tempest again, this time in snow flurries, which is a good test. No fogging at all! Just put them on at beginning of ride and forget about them. A few others in group were impressed enough to ask what I was wearing as theirs were fogging up. No battery issues whatsoever.

Side note to all riders- keep your eyes covered at all times. Buddy might be having eye surgery because he of incident last weekend. Got stuck, took off helmet, fell off sled, tether disconnected, the end of it slingshot him right in the eye. I have another story (different rider) that is far more gruesome. KEEP EYES COVERED!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I bought the ckx helmet but never got the heated goggles. It is just way too hot for me. Not enough venting so just got a new klim f5. Now ill probably freeze but will help with fogging goggles.
Another note is any snow on the inside lense and you are screwed. That is why you should try leaving them on or be damn careful if they are off otherwise it will be a fight all day.
Yea the helmet comes with a rather irritating lower chin/throat cover. It's good for riding at high speed on cold days on the trail where there is little effort to heat you up. I removed it to run cooler in the mountains. I put it back on when I run my trail sled in northern WI.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I have the 509 Aviator 2.0 goggle. With RX goggle inserts. Best combo I have tried. Just Keep from getting moisture on the inside. And you will see where you are going all day.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
One ride so far with the Tempest in some decent powder and I have to say I am impressed with them. Need some more rides with different conditions before I give a full review...but so far do good

These are formally Abom. i’ve got a couple pairs of them and they work pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
These are formally Abom. i’ve got a couple pairs of them and they work pretty well.

Hopefully they will have shipping to Canada soon. They emailed me back saying they're working on it

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
Just ordered a set of temptest with the green, photochromic and yellow lenses. The photochromic lenses on my aboms is killer for riding trees or when conditions are constantly changing and going in and out of various lighting. Its my favorite goggle even for snowboarding. The battery has slowly been fading and I'm only good for a about 10 to 15 clicks per charge which is usually enough for an average storm day, but they've spent several hundred days in the Oregon fog and drizzle and are ready for retirement.
Everyone I know with the 509s hates them or at least has issues after a few months while my 4 year old aboms work perfect every single time I hit the button until the battery dies, which used to be the entire day for the first 3 years. of owning them.
I've heard the fxr goggles are ok but hopefully these temptest hold up to the abom standard.

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Good to know since I've been dreading the day my aboms die. The battery has slowely been fading and I'm only good for a about 10 to 15 cycles per charge, but theyve spent several hundred days in the oregon fog and drizzle so theyve earjed their keep.
Everyone I know with the 509s hates them while my 4 year old aboms work perfect every single time I hit the button.
I've heard the fxr goggles are ok but I guess I need to check out temptest and see how they compare to the old aboms.

Mine are about the same. They get a pretty good work out just north of you in WA. I do like 509s though. I pack 1 of each if its a weathery day.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Rode with the Tempest again, this time in snow flurries, which is a good test. No fogging at all! Just put them on at beginning of ride and forget about them. A few others in group were impressed enough to ask what I was wearing as theirs were fogging up. No battery issues whatsoever.

Side note to all riders- keep your eyes covered at all times. Buddy might be having eye surgery because he of incident last weekend. Got stuck, took off helmet, fell off sled, tether disconnected, the end of it slingshot him right in the eye. I have another story (different rider) that is far more gruesome. KEEP EYES COVERED!
I wonder how the FOV is compared to say a 609 Sinister X6 or X7? Anyone able to compare them? Still thinking heavily on getting these for trail riding too. Since I can't stand a fill shield helmet.

Last edited:
D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Quick goggle question: Anyone else get snow up on the inside lens of your goggles? Thinking its from the way the foam fits around my nose so it leaves an opening for snow to go up and inside the goggle.
Wondering if 509 Ignite S7s help with dissipating the snow/water on the lens on the inside too, or just the outside of the lens?

I run a 509 Altitude 3K helmet with some regular Sinister S7 goggles. I have 2 pairs and 4 lens - 2 Light Rose tint and 2 clear. Never have an issue when riding clear days or even if some pow flicks up. Nothing major. Only issue is riding during a snowfall.

Thinking about cutting the foam for a better fit but I still want to get some ignites soon.
They are absolute junk! My Klim Aeon and Oculus’s have never fogged on me. I live in Utah and rode 30 days last year in over 900 inches of Powder. Never once fogged on me.

Premium Features