• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally did it

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Did same thing a few weeks ago to my 1000 swapped Mountain Cat I had put Alpha in. Put 165 Ski Doo 3" track and 165 IceAge rails in and now it handles great. Way it was before I felt like I had forgotten how to ride. Might put the Alpha skid in my other sled with stock front end/steering and chassis and see if any better but my setup with the Riot/TKI front end with post forward and the dual rail is so much better for our type of snow here in the Kootenays. This is just my take and my preference. Don't need anyone telling me how to ride please, I already criticize myself enough.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Did the same with my supercharged Alpha this weekend for the hillcross in the bighorns. 165 Alpha Kmod Skinny to 153 twin rail Kmod. Took it for a rip afterwards and its so much easier to ride and more consistent in the spring snow. I'm still going to put the 165 Alpha setup back on for the deep snow, but I'm keeping a twin rail around for it too.

Also good to see I'm not the only one that works all night to go riding the next day!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You have a big head.
Good call on the twin rail! I did Alpha to twin rail as well.
Excellent video.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Did the same with my supercharged Alpha this weekend for the hillcross in the bighorns. 165 Alpha Kmod Skinny to 153 twin rail Kmod. Took it for a rip afterwards and its so much easier to ride and more consistent in the spring snow. I'm still going to put the 165 Alpha setup back on for the deep snow, but I'm keeping a twin rail around for it too.

Also good to see I'm not the only one that works all night to go riding the next day!
Do you live here in the horns? We should go rip around

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Two seasons on my elevated twin rail converted alpha, best decision for me. If I rode nothing but deep powder all season, I'd still have the alpha rail. You do give up traction, nothing can complete with the alpha setup in deep snow. With that said, I'm looking forward to trying the alpha setup on the new Catalyst chassis. From all the feedback it sounds like that chassis and the alpha setup on more in harmony together.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I would really like to know how much longer the front arm is on the Catalyst Alpha as that is the only change in skid mentioned in the engineering video on Youtube. Might be a bolt in fix/help for our older Alphas. Might just have to move to a more forward hole in front tunnel mount.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
What’s this worth? How about $300 plus shipping/bubble wrap.
Off 17 mtn cat. Hyfax are great.

1EE796D1-F3F4-4310-AD13-361BBEAA028A.jpeg

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
never gets old niner! should start a new show off thread for custom builds. would like to see spoon's whip all polished up too.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What’s this worth? How about $300 plus shipping/bubble wrap.
Hyfax are great.
It’s worth $100. It’s missing cross shafts, rail tips, suspension and it’s clapped out, it’s off season, it’s not clear what sled it fits, the length is not stated. You should pay someone to take it. Hahaha

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Ha! 162, if its not clear what it fits you suck at this and its not clapped like your junk kane ;)

thought it would be a start for someone

Premium Features