• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Snowcheck starts March 4th - who is interested?

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
guess you never been to Canada Bakus rides out there back door...but how would you know??
A few years ago I had an issue with my new full warranty sled with only about 100 miles on it. Was riding in Revy which is 12 hours from my home and my dealer down the street. Took it to Backus for warranty work after our first day of a 4 day trip. They had the warranty parts in stock but wouldn't fix it or even give me the parts, told me it would take a few days for warranty approval but they would sell me the part at full retail. They did everything they could do not to help me out. Ended up just walking out of their dealership extremely disappointed in them. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of ever stepping in their dealership again. I would drive the extra 3 hours to Calgary for a spark plug before I would walk across the street to Backus's dealership.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
You showed them.

Hate it when you have to buy parts pending reimbursement. (Do it frequently with farm equipment to get running asap…great option.)

They were helping you…..
You get your money back if warranty clears, or they weren’t warrantied and your parts are already installed and you were riding instead of waiting for warranty.

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
You showed them.

Hate it when you have to buy parts pending reimbursement. (Do it frequently with farm equipment to get running asap…great option.)

They were helping you…..
You get your money back if warranty clears, or they weren’t warrantied and your parts are already installed and you were riding instead of waiting for warranty.
I think he's saying they wouldn't reimburse him at all. I think all of us would be totally ok with a reimbursement if it even took a few weeks to clear. I know I'd be happy with even a discount or partial reimbursement. I'd even be willing to pay for the part if it didn't fix the problem and It needed something else. Id even be ok with a store credit to use on oil.

In my case I have a sled with 500 miles and just payed 500 bucks for an ev actuator , would've loved to get reimbursed even if it was part of it. But I'd rather pay for the part myself than loose 3 weeks of riding especially as the west coast is getting another round of cold snow. One of the guys at my dealer where I bought the sled even tried to get my to pay for a primary spring or wait a week for them to install a new one, 2 days after picking up the sled. Luckily the parts guy said he's just do the warranty paperwork and hand me a spring. You won't hear me complaining about the cost of sleds, I wouldn't even mind paying some extra on msrp to have dealers within a few hours of me actually willing to do warranty work as I've found the warranty near useless.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Why would they have a discussion about warranty processing time if they weren’t going to process?

Buying parts to get going and putting them on ourselves while they push paper has always been our process rather than sit.

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
Why would they have a discussion about warranty processing time if they weren’t going to process?

Buying parts to get going and putting them on ourselves while they push paper has always been our process rather than sit.
Some dealers won't let you put warranty parts on yourself. It stings a little when it takes a few weeks to do a 5 minute job if they have the part in stock.

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
That is weird because they get paid for the labor if they let you do it. Sounds a little suspect.
I have no clue why but that's what I was told. I wasn't happy about it when I was told that because it dosnt make sense to me. I assume it's some liability thing that's above my head, but i had to had to haggle to get them to let me put a primary spring on a sled i just picked up that I snowchecked from them. The sled with the snapped primary was sitting in the bed of my truck, and they at least let me hand them the broken spring and swap it right there. Goes to show how difficult some dealers can be.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I live part time between California and Oregon, and for obvious reasons purchased the sled in Oregon since no sales tax compared to California at 9% or something crazy, and I spend more time riding up there during the winter typically. Its been hit or miss with them depending on who you talk to though.
Brought my 24 boost to the dealer in California since I was getting and EV actuator open circuit code and a bad bog, and basically got told to pound sand when they put my name in the system and I didn't show up as buying the sled there after driving 3 hours to get there, even with talking to them on the phone before hand and being told they could look at it and order the part in a few days. Once they found out I was from out of town it changed to maybe a few weeks to a month before they could look at it at best. The EV actuator is 450 dollar part and a 5 minute change I did while in the bed of my pickup, but I wanted to try and save a few bucks and Part of the reason I snow checked was to get the extended warranty. Which I am now finding out is kind of useless if your not close to a good dealer, which seem to be few and far between for many of us. They wouldn't even do a EV relearn for me which takes 5 minutes at most.

Polaris needs to up their warranty pay or negotiate something with their dealers. It seems like most dealer run away from warranty work instantly.
Ryan-- Don't know where in California you are.... I'm in Truckee (Lake Tahoe). If you need help regarding warranty, let me know.
I do overflow warranty/ recall work for Auburn Extreme Powersports in the evenings after riding all day.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
You showed them.

They were helping you…..
Not once did they mention I would get reimbursed by Polaris if warranty cleared. Once I got home I dropped my sled off at my dealer and It was all taken care of immediately.

C
Nov 19, 2009
A few years ago I had an issue with my new full warranty sled with only about 100 miles on it. Was riding in Revy which is 12 hours from my home and my dealer down the street. Took it to Backus for warranty work after our first day of a 4 day trip. They had the warranty parts in stock but wouldn't fix it or even give me the parts, told me it would take a few days for warranty approval but they would sell me the part at full retail. They did everything they could do not to help me out. Ended up just walking out of their dealership extremely disappointed in them. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of ever stepping in their dealership again. I would drive the extra 3 hours to Calgary for a spark plug before I would walk across the street to Backus's dealership.
They are a scammy bunch

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
Ryan-- Don't know where in California you are.... I'm in Truckee (Lake Tahoe). If you need help regarding warranty, let me know.
I do overflow warranty/ recall work for Auburn Extreme Powersports in the evenings after riding all day.
I'm in truckee every few weeks so if I need anything again I will definitely be contacting you. It's running great now so fingers crossed it stays that way.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Ya, Backus doesn't seem to like red plates coming in there !
I snapped my steering post just below the bar clamp on my Dragon back in the day. Stopped in there to see if they could weld it up....which they wouldn't, worried about the ECU. (even unplugged) I had it all stripped down to access post.
They drilled a hole and installed a bolt. Charged me $ 110.00.
Bolt lasted 1 ride lol. Found a farmyard with an old hand crank welder and bubblegumed it up myself.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Ya, Backus doesn't seem to like red plates coming in there !
I snapped my steering post just below the bar clamp on my Dragon back in the day. Stopped in there to see if they could weld it up....which they wouldn't, worried about the ECU. (even unplugged) I had it all stripped down to access post.
They drilled a hole and installed a bolt. Charged me $ 110.00.
Bolt lasted 1 ride lol. Found a farmyard with an old hand crank welder and bubblegumed it up myself.

There is a PTSD reminder….Dragon steering posts. I broke 5 of those in 3 years.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
The market actually seems relatively cleaned up right now, compared to the start of the month. My dealer had a few 155 boost 325 and now they're all gone. Still seeing 2023 out there but that's off the table for me on a Boost.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
There is a PTSD reminder….Dragon steering posts. I broke 5 of those in 3 years.
Good thing that's long ago enough that GenZers mostly weren't riding yet. You'll need trigger warnings in 5-10 years when you bring up '24 Polarises.

The market actually seems relatively cleaned up right now, compared to the start of the month. My dealer had a few 155 boost 325 and now they're all gone. Still seeing 2023 out there but that's off the table for me on a Boost.
Makes sense: even if you had money in your pocket, what's the use of buying a new sled to ride around on thin, crusty snow? But it's finally started to pick up the last couple weeks, and there's some stuff worth riding on now.

Premium Features