• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exercising for snowmobiling?

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
Another P90X'er here, last August I was pushing 265, I started a small cardio workout of treadmill/exercise bike until I dropped down to 218 (took till about beginning of January doing it 6 days a week at about 30min's at a time).

Beginning of January I started P90X, did my first round and skipped a few workouts here and there (still got in 5 a week) after the 90 days I had lost another 30lbs, started a 2nd round of P90X and never missed a workout. Currently on my 3rd round with a plan of doing Insanity next for the cardio (already have it, just waiting to finish my 3rd round of P90X before I start).

In 1 Year I went from 265 to 155, at 5'9" was at 54% body fat, currently down to 12%, if you have the motivation, in my opinion its worth the time.

Last edited:
J
Dec 14, 2007
north idaho
at the end of last season i weighed 312 lbs since then i have lost 85 lbs my goal weight is 200lbs i finally started eating right and running 1.5 miles on my treadmill every night i beleave how much better i feel i cant wait for this season

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Another P90X'er here, last August I was pushing 265, I started a small cardio workout of treadmill/exercise bike until I dropped down to 218 (took till about beginning of January doing it 6 days a week at about 30min's at a time).

Beginning of January I started P90X, did my first round and skipped a few workouts here and there (still got in 5 a week) after the 90 days I had lost another 30lbs, started a 2nd round of P90X and never missed a workout. Currently on my 3rd round with a plan of doing Insanity next for the cardio (already have it, just waiting to finish my 3rd round of P90X before I start).

In 1 Year I went from 265 to 155, at 5'9" was at 54% body fat, currently down to 12%, if you have the motivation, in my opinion its worth the time.

WOW! Good job, that takes alot of discipline.:beer;

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN

so, not trying to be rude or anything, but all i can think about is when people have gastric bypass surgery. where does all the skin go?

F

foxyrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Milton-Freewater, Oregon
myspace
Good thread Steph.:D

Keep them coming guys, I like what I have been reading, considering that I do cardio 3-4 times a week. Been wondering about that P90X videos, it seems to be worth it then? With hunting and sledding season just around the corner, I need to step up my game. :p

Metallic(a)sled

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2008
Rock Springs Wy
well lifting free wieghts helps alot try to do multijoint exercises instead of isolating the muscle so that you get real usable strength doing lifts like squats (go ALL the way down to PARALELL) and power cleans (get your butt down so you aren't just using your back) are great and underused in the gyms but you have to do the right form or its useless and you may injure yourself. dont just do sit ups for abs you have to do different exercises with twisting motions as well. doing benchpress or push ups with different grip widths is good as well. when you eat certain things helps to like eating complex carbs before you work out will help you lift more to get stronger and actually help you burn more calories when you work out. when running it may be better to run then take a short break and run again this will burn more calories even when your resting and will help your breathing more than just joggin a pace for a long time. this is just some random stuff ive learned hope it helps

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
so, not trying to be rude or anything, but all i can think about is when people have gastric bypass surgery. where does all the skin go?

I'm not sure how it works for gastric bypass surgery, I would guess close to the same but to a worse extent due to the skin not toning while losing the weight. But for working out, the skin doesn't really go anywhere, skin is like an elastic band and when overweight it stretches to make room for the fat, as you lose weight it "can" rebound. I say can because it depends on a number of factors such as age/hydration/amount of time overweight and how overweight you are. I have some sagging skin, however it is tightening, I know of people that don't bother to lose weight because they are afraid of sagging skin. Sagging skin is a lot better health wise then massive amounts of fat, plus unless someone seen me without a shirt they would never know, granted I only have it on my stomach.

I have read of people that were pushing 400lbs and got down around the 180 mark and after staying around the 180 mark for upwards of 12-24 months the majority of the sagging skin was rebounded to normal. I've also heard that if you lose an average of 1lb a week with a maximum of 2lbs per week and eat healthy, stay hydrated, that sagging skin may never be a problem. Also helps to lift weights.

Last edited:
C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I'm not sure how it works for gastric bypass surgery, I would guess close to the same but to a worse extent due to the skin not toning while losing the weight. But for working out, the skin doesn't really go anywhere, skin is like an elastic band and when overweight it stretches to make room for the fat, as you lose weight it "can" rebound. I say can because it depends on a number of factors such as age/hydration/amount of time overweight and how overweight you are. I have some sagging skin, however it is tightening, I know of people that don't bother to lose weight because they are afraid of sagging skin. Sagging skin is a lot better health wise then massive amounts of fat, plus unless someone seen me without a shirt they would never know, granted I only have it on my stomach.

I have read of people that were pushing 400lbs and got down around the 180 mark and after staying around the 180 mark for upwards of 12-24 months the majority of the sagging skin was rebounded to normal. I've also heard that if you lose an average of 1lb a week with a maximum of 2lbs per week and eat healthy, stay hydrated, that sagging skin may never be a problem. Also helps to lift weights.

i kind of thought that way, but i wasn't sure. that is good to know. i figured if a guy lost the weight slow enough you would be fine.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
sit ups and push up go along ways and you don't need to buy anything. If you have any hills around you hike them. Regualry. You can put water jugs in a back pack to add weight for the hills. After reaching the top, dump the water so you don't wreck your knees for the downhill.

Mountain biking is also extremely good, especially for you folks with bad knees. ie i have had 4 knee surguries.

C
Nov 28, 2007
Elizabeth Co
So what about the people that don't need to lose weight and just want to be in better shape?
I don't think that I need to lose weight, but I couldn't run 40' without dying.. I get by when on the sled but when working it hard I need to take brakes occasionally when I get winded but generally I can go longer without getting as tired or sore as the people I go riding with.
Getting stuck that's another story altogether like my heart is going to pop right out of my chest.
Problem is that my work has me on my feet for 10 hours a day and lifting is not a problem either. Guess im built more like a tractor than a race car.

S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
First clean up the diet,loose the sugar,junk food and beer.(I think that what's most snomobilers drink,because I see the empty cans all over) Sorry had to get that in. stick with core lifts. Power cleans,deadlifts, squats,pullups and my fav, repetitive clean and press!For cardio learn what a kettleball is and how to use it! These things will take the heartrate into orbit,while developing the hams,glutes,abs,shoulders,back,arms,grip,and just about every thing else you need to sled with.If you want to learn go to wwwdragondoor.com Enjoy the pain!

D
Oct 13, 2008
There are alot of good responses on this thread. The one key to the P90x And other vids is to have a work out partner who is dedicated to it. Like I said mine is my work out freak of a wife which is the best thing I could have for motivation as you can feed off each other and press each other to work harder. The vids are extreme but if you follow them they always tell you to go at your own pace and work up from there. You do not have to kep up with them and beleive me for a few weeks you have no chance of it. Just find something to do especially cardio and stick with it and you will improve. The sticking with it is the hard part. Thus the workout partner.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Wow, thanks for all of the replys. Lots of interesting things to think about.

I found the rowing machine at the gym on Tuesday. Of course I kind of over did it the first time. But it has a good rhythm to it, the time went fast and well I just rather liked doing it. Not easy but had a good burn to it. Did about 20 mintues of that and then 10 mintues on the elliptical.

Oh forgot to add: My heart rate was 168 when I got off the rowing machine and after sitting for about a minute. Will have to do some reseach and figure out what I should be at.

I was shaking a bit when I was done and my arms did do that trembling thing for a couple hours afterwards just like sledding. So I think I have found what I was looking for! Thank you guys! :D

Yesterday I didn't go to the gym but rode one of the horses instead (I ride english/jumping) and that counts as cardio and builds leg/core muscles. On another note I'm very proud of my horse- he jumped his first 3' jump in grand style yesterday. :D

My back, shoulders are a bit sore still today but I plan on doing 20 mintues of rowing today and then 20 mintues of the elliptical after work.

While I like the idea of P90X, I don't think I could make myself stick to it. :eek:

coyote9090- Yeah, that is what I'm looking for too. Don't need to lose any weight just get in better shape. A bit of cardio would seem to be the answer for you?

Last edited:

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I have lost 40lbs and kept it off for 3 years now but need another 30 to be at my goal.

My takeaways I learned for my body:

-No amount of excercise will take off the amount of food I used to eat (I tried for two months lost 3 lbs, ie diet is 90% of weight loss)
-COUNT every calorie you put in your mouth and write it down for 3 months straight, this includes juice, milk, fruit, veggies, etc you will lost 5-10lbs just watching that number as you'll be like me and just monitoring it you will eat less I shoot for <1700 calories a day to maintain, <1200 for weight loss
-Every fast food place has thier calories posted on thier web sites, get a few and look for the lowest calorie options so when your out with the boys you dont get sucked into that double cheese burger and large fries
-Drink 60oz of water a day, this stinks for truck drivers because you will have to be near a bathroom but you will lose 3-4lbs by doing this
-Skip pop all together or drink no more then 1/day and make it a diet pop (this is good for 2-4lbs if your a big pop drinker)
-Cardio as needed to overcome overeating that day

This is the basics, to get to my goal I need to step up the focus on eating, and cardio but these simple lifestyle changes helped me keep off 40lbs and I dont feel like I'm always in a state of pissed off :)

Good luck

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
coyote9090 - cardio of any sort will help you. Since you're on your feet all day try riding an exercise bike or swimming. If you're riding an exercise bike don't just go easy all the time. For every 5 minutes put in two 30sec intervals of 75-80% effort. Start with 20minutes then build up from there.

Once you get a base built up after a couple weeks on the bike move over to the rowing machine. Before you hit the rowing machine remember to check out the concept2.com website for beginner recommendations on form and workouts.

Also, ice your feet when you get home. Sounds sorta dumb I know but you won't believe how good it feels afterwards.

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
WYsteph - the rowing machine will kick you azz won't it?!

To monitor your "progress" move the display over so it records the distance (in meters) that you row. On the same display mode there will be a screen that shows your time/500meters. The time/500meters is the base which rowers use to determine how hard they are rowing. It is like your per mile time if you're a distance runner.

You can find the time you are comfortable rowing at, call it your 20 minute pace, then try and keep it at that time. As you become more efficient rowing that time will likely drop and drop a lot since you are new to rowing. You can alter your time on the machine by doing some periods of high effort. See how low you can get the /500mtr time to go!! Do that for 20strokes or 50meters then drop back down to your 20minute pace. Have fun with it!

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
Corins - holy crap man!! That is freakin outstanding you dropped that much weight. I'm 5'10 155lbs myself and cannot even picture supporting and moving around 265lbs.

Premium Features