• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exercising for snowmobiling?

S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
Haha, i hate to say it but age is a factor here. I dont work out n i am a skinny guy ( 160 at 6'2). But i stand all day when i ride n about the only place i am lacking is gettin unstuck. But when your on the side of a hill tipping and rolling sleds can be an easy one man job if you know what your doing. So best thing i can reccomend is anti aging cream to make you youthfull, jk. Really though a good work out plan consisting of back, shoulder, n pry some squats. Just think of what body parts get sore after a hard day of riding and work them.

W

Waldo11

Oct 15, 2008
Denver, CO
Everytime I think about ways to take weight off my sled, I always come back to taken weight off my frame first. Probably cheaper that way anyhow. I just started P90X and I think that is going to be a great way to trim and tone up and get ready for winter. Some guys in my squadron swear by it and seem to be getting great results. The hardest part is sticking to a healthy diet while on the road for work...

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
for me a junior in highschool, im trying to gain weight :D. I started lifting in may, with a max of 100lbs and im up to 175 right now(benching). I'm 5'10 and 135 pounds, i dropped about 3 pounds since then(somehow?)

For cardiac i play varsity soccer, so i do 5 minute drills and many other different things, but i think 5 minute drills are probably the best for everyone to do(run 100 yards in 30 seconds, then go back)

weights, I have stopped lifting since soccer started, but i will end up doing mostly back, theigh, and arm exercising(my 6 pack is already where i want it, and i shall be just retaining that). Hopefully by then the snow will be flying and i will have powder to play in

D
Oct 13, 2008
It,s not exactly cheap but the wife ( she is a work out freak ) bought P90X which is everything from yoga to weights and cardio. You never use anything heavier than 35# dumbells. You will not beleive how fast your weight will drop and your strength will increase. We also got the Insanity workout for extreeeeeeem cardio and it is just that. Best investments I ever made. Both workouts are great core and total body workouts. I am 5'6" and WAS 170# and after 4 weeks I am down to 160# and need smaller pants. You can check them out at teambeachbody.com go to vidios on left side and look for P90X and Shaun T for the insanity work out. I am 43 and am in the best cardio shape since the old highschool wrestling days. P.S. I am not affiliated with nor do I sell these work outs. Just beleive in them strongly.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Everytime I think about ways to take weight off my sled, I always come back to taken weight off my frame first....
Ain't that the truth though.
There is no way I could possibly take off as many pounds from the sled as I can from myself!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I spent a lot of years seriously staying in shape racing motorcross(just amatuer but I took it very serious)..one of the best things you can do..buy a jump rope...jump everyday...first day..go as long as you can(3 minutes...4 minutes..what ever it is) then do that same amout everyday of the week...next week..add 30 seconds and repeat..keep doing it...and add more time every week..it will help arm shoulder strength..leg strength, loosen all muscles, improve cardio..and most of all...a rope is cheap...also as far as arm/ shoulder strength..do french curls....not big weights..just medium to start with but at least 3 full sets....at my peak I worked out with 120 pd barbell doing 5 sets of 15..and back then..I weighed less then 125 pds.....or..do as I do now..get a job for a fence company and pack pipe and wire all day...it works good too.....

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
It,s not exactly cheap but the wife ( she is a work out freak ) bought P90X which is everything from yoga to weights and cardio. You never use anything heavier than 35# dumbells. You will not beleive how fast your weight will drop and your strength will increase. We also got the Insanity workout for extreeeeeeem cardio and it is just that. Best investments I ever made. Both workouts are great core and total body workouts. I am 5'6" and WAS 170# and after 4 weeks I am down to 160# and need smaller pants. You can check them out at teambeachbody.com go to vidios on left side and look for P90X and Shaun T for the insanity work out. I am 43 and am in the best cardio shape since the old highschool wrestling days. P.S. I am not affiliated with nor do I sell these work outs. Just beleive in them strongly.

i am contemplating P90X. a couple guys at work are using it. they say its a ***** of a workout. but heres the deal, everybody on that infomercial and the people on here are not really overweight. you said you were 170, i haven't weighed 170 since the 8th grade. i myself am pushin 300. and im sick of it. working in the office for 10 hrs and the hour drive each way doesn't give me a whole lot of time to do much like i used to.

does anybody think that P90X along with the diet i am trying to follow would benefit a fat azz like me?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
i am contemplating P90X. a couple guys at work are using it. they say its a ***** of a workout. but heres the deal, everybody on that infomercial and the people on here are not really overweight. you said you were 170, i haven't weighed 170 since the 8th grade. i myself am pushin 300. and im sick of it. working in the office for 10 hrs and the hour drive each way doesn't give me a whole lot of time to do much like i used to.

does anybody think that P90X along with the diet i am trying to follow would benefit a fat azz like me?

YES.....but you may want to start out with something a little less intense, otherwise, you may become discouraged and not follow through.

Get out there and do some cardio, lift some weights for about 6 weeks, then hit something like P90X. The P90X works off of someone putting out the absolute maximum effort, then some. JMO

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I am doing P90X for the second time now. Works wonders because I guess anything that makes you sweat like that must do something. Would recommend it to anyone. Your strength and cardio improve a lot and I lost 20 lbs doing it the first time. (I couldnt even do a pull up at the beginning and now I can muster out about 15) Also did 6 weeks of bowflex and cardio before that. Last season I was about 230 lbs and I expect to be at about 180lbs this season. Riding should be a lot more fun.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I am doing P90X for the second time now. Works wonders because I guess anything that makes you sweat like that must do something. Would recommend it to anyone. Your strength and cardio improve a lot and I lost 20 lbs doing it the first time. (I couldnt even do a pull up at the beginning and now I can muster out about 15) Also did 6 weeks of bowflex and cardio before that. Last season I was about 230 lbs and I expect to be at about 180lbs this season. Riding should be a lot more fun.

wow, maybe i will give it a try. i like the idea of being able to do it at home when i have time. not have to have a membership at a gym and work around other people. wait for machines to open up and stuff. maybe i can do a transformation before mid jan when we head in a westerly direction.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
catmech , anything works ,, i work out at work and dont break to much of a sweat. you can get a workout in your office if you get craetive ,,and not get stanky.. squats , situps , pushups , exersie bands ,, whatever ,, something to get ya started

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Diet's important too. Most of us eat wrong. Too much starch, too much sugar, eating too much at one sitting and eating too late.

If you're already active and serious about losing weight then don't eat anything that comes out of a bag or a box. Cookies, crackers, premixed potato/rice dishes/chips etc.

Low fat, low sugar, high protein, moderate starch. Cut back on beer and way back on soda.

Don't eat later than 3 hours before bed and try taking a walk after supper--it's good for the guts

Oh, and get laid as much as possible. Burns calories and boosts your morale

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
YES.....but you may want to start out with something a little less intense, otherwise, you may become discouraged and not follow through.

Get out there and do some cardio, lift some weights for about 6 weeks, then hit something like P90X. The P90X works off of someone putting out the absolute maximum effort, then some. JMO

Good idea. You can look online to see if you can do the P90x minimums. If you can, I would highly recommend it. I am just finishing up P90x and the results have been rather incredible. I have not only have lost about 25 pounds, but I have gotten way stronger, more flexible and in shape. There is a program within P90x called P90x lean that is more cardio intense. You do things like plyometrics, cardio X, core synergistics and yes yoga. All of these things will help your riding. Good luck.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Diet's important too. Most of us eat wrong. Too much starch, too much sugar, eating too much at one sitting and eating too late.

If you're already active and serious about losing weight then don't eat anything that comes out of a bag or a box. Cookies, crackers, premixed potato/rice dishes/chips etc.

Low fat, low sugar, high protein, moderate starch. Cut back on beer and way back on soda.

Don't eat later than 3 hours before bed and try taking a walk after supper--it's good for the guts

Oh, and get laid as much as possible. Burns calories and boosts your morale

i've been doing the low carb high protein thing for a few weeks now. saw a 5lb loss right away and thats been about it. its pretty tough not eating potatoes, rice, pasta, chips and all that stuff. lots of salad, vegetables and meat. oh, and i've been pushing for the whole getting laid often thing, with minimal results. i will keep trying.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
I work out to sled videos! It is by far the best motivation tool! I have a elliptical at home plus free weights and have a tv setup so I can watch sled videos which is way better than watching some crap on tv while doing cardio.

Also the Mens Health website as some good free exercise programs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I just want to be clear on one thing here.

I HATE ALL OF YOU!

You all guilted me into turning my morning walk into a Jog!

GRRRR..

PEER PRESSURE.!!

Did three miles, burned 800 calories, and got my old ticker into the mid 160s.

In all honesty, its a good thing, but I do HATE running.
Hated it when I was in the 82nd Airborne, and then I had to run every day whether I wanted to or not.

On the other hand, I crossed off the first 10lbs on my weight chart today!!

I am down to 234.6 and well on my way to 225!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Thing that p!sses me off the most about the P90x and other programs is the before and after. The before of the people on the infomercial aren't THAT bad, they just need a little polishing to get into shape and toned up. They almost NEVER show a person that's your 'typical' person. That being said, I DO have a copy of P90x. My step daughter did 1 video one night and while I kinda made fun of her (asked her how Billy Blanks was doing) she was really getting a great workout.

As stated before your diet is huge in weight loss. I also personally feel that you need 2-3 weeks to get into a routine so it becomes habit. Start out easy and get the routine going. Once it becomes habit and your muscles get into 'shape' for the activity you're doing then start building more time/more reps from there. Biggest thing is just getting started and not going ballz to the wall first time out. Once you're really stiff and sore, good luck doing it again the next day.

Premium Features