• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 dragon idles for 10 seconds then drops to 1000rpm and dies

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
2009 dragon with running issues.

New sled to me previous owner bought it last season and used it two times and the first ride it did this

First issue was went to trail it ran 5 minutes and died. Brought it back and replaced stator and now it Will start and idle at 1800 rpm for about 15 seconds and then drops to 1k rpm and will run for another 30 seconds. Will die if throttle is touched when at 1k rpm. Wont engage reverse

Replaced stator (output on old stator was 2v)
Voltage regulator is working. Also tried a spare one I have with same results.
Intake reeds are in good shape
Could it be the bottom two injectors plugged and it only running on the top two injectors?
Haven’t install fuel pressure gauge but has a lot of pressure when I hit the test port with a screwdriver.

Thanks for any advice

R
Dec 24, 2008
2009 dragon with running issues.

New sled to me previous owner bought it last season and used it two times and the first ride it did this

First issue was went to trail it ran 5 minutes and died. Brought it back and replaced stator and now it Will start and idle at 1800 rpm for about 15 seconds and then drops to 1k rpm and will run for another 30 seconds. Will die if throttle is touched when at 1k rpm. Wont engage reverse

Replaced stator (output on old stator was 2v)
Voltage regulator is working. Also tried a spare one I have with same results.
Intake reeds are in good shape
Could it be the bottom two injectors plugged and it only running on the top two injectors?
Haven’t install fuel pressure gauge but has a lot of pressure when I hit the test port with a screwdriver.

Thanks for any advice
if the voltage reg is overcharging it probably fried the ecu. this was a common issue with 8,9,10's. if you replace the ecu i would still replace the voltage reg.
just before it dies if the display goes dim and then quits its a sure sign of above issues. handwarmers grounding to the bars was another problem as well.

Premium Features