• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

diesel furnace in trailer. works well

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
I bought one of the diesel heaters that is usually used in semi sleepers and i installed it in a 7x12 enclosed trailer. I had spray foamed the walls and ceiling maybe half inch thick which made a huge difference. The heater i bought is self contained with the tank and pump and heater in a metal brief case looking package. Its the 8kw version which is the largest i've seen. I have had the trailer in the mid seventies, and ive ran it for 8 or so hours and it mabe burnt a quart of fuel on the medium heat level. with the final install i used a suburban furnace vent to route the exhaust outside and i used 3 inch pvc with a sweep T closest to the funace and a 90 at the end of the pipe near the rear door. another thing i did was put hooks above the pvc pipe and drilled some half inch or so holes in the top of the pipe so if there is something on the hooks it will get warmed and or dried. I think in a larger trailer you may need two of these heaters but the install is very easy and they are only 8 inches or so wide. also when on a trip you will always be stopping at a gas/diesel station for the fuel. one more thing i believe they only draw 2 or so amps while running.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have a diesel heater in the trailer as well. It works VERY well. Uses very little fuel too.

Draws about 9-10 amps at startup, then 1-3 amps after that, depending on what speed the fan is running at.

Just be sure to put additive in the fuel so it wont gel up in cold temps.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
was out today and it started at -20 and the high was -5. had it running all day at some youth snocross races we were at and it kept it around 60 in the trailer. had it on high all day probably 9 hours and it used about a gallon of fuel. In a larger trailer i would install 2 of these furnaces, but there so easy to install and relatively cheap that wouldnt be a problem. Also having two could simplify ducting as you could place one heater in the rear and one iin the front or whatever you want. I wish they made one that was was little larger mine is an 8kw but so far i am pleased with the results.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Im guessing they are talking about something like this.

There are a ton of vids on youtube on these heaters. I was kinda looking into them. Most people are using the Chinese knock offs you can get off amazon. There are some more spendy versions and stuff that isnt quite so stand alone too.

hilpulr

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Corvallis MT
There was a really great write up on these heaters last year on here. I read it then installed 1 in my enclosed. Works great!

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Set up in my 8.5x24 with a 6'8" ceiling height haulmark steel trailer. It also has a direct vent 18000 btu lp gas furnace for the really cold days/nights.

20200324_142720.jpg 20200324_142711.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Amazon product ASIN B097M7M4NW

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
699c3186c35764f35cfa9fd2cb3ffcc4.jpg

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I've never been able to keep any my diesel heaters running more than a 3 or 4 days above 5000'. They run way to rich at altitude and soot up. I'm pulling them out and putting in an LP furnace.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've never been able to keep any my diesel heaters running more than a 3 or 4 days above 5000'. They run way to rich at altitude and soot up. I'm pulling them out and putting in an LP furnace.
You need to adjust the fuel pump hz.
I had 1 soot up after a couple weeks because I forgot to adjust the fuel pump for the elevation I was at.
My other heater I remembered to set the fuel pump for elevation and it has worked good and most of its use has been above 8,000ft running for a week or 2 never shutting down.
LP heaters will also soot if not set up properly for elevation.

Premium Features