• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DEEP POWDER VIDS - Turbo Apex, Turbo Nytro, Turbo Rx-1

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I only weigh 165, and its not enough, let alone too much, lol!!

Some pics from today. Its crazy how much the snow has settled from Tuesday. Great weather though.

Sledding2-10-08 003.jpg

Sledding2-10-08 008.jpg

Sledding2-10-08 001.jpg

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Sorry to hear about that! Get that thing back together!
What happened to the Cat?

We were up at our normal hole......you know.....

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Broke the steering post on my cat up farmington on a great day, missed most of it getting the sled out because I was by myself and had to walk out, long story.

Ended up having a great ride on the Apex that day although only for about an hour and a half before I need to go home.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
You know those fourstrokes always make the snow look deep.

Owen

Ya I know. I think its because the power from them is sooo great, it throws such a roost it makes it look like its deep snow.:D
But nonetheless, they can still climb better than any 2 stroke.......:beer;

X
Nov 26, 2007
You know those fourstrokes always make the snow look deep.

Owen

They are certainly heavy pigs and don't float in the powder worth a darn! I sure wouldn't recommend one to anyone who enjoys riding the steep and deep. When it comes to bottomless powder a naturally aspirated 2-stroke is far and away the best choice.......especially the XP cause it's "light as a feather"

Did I forget to mention that there was a reason our heavy pigs were the only sleds riding that area that day? None of the other sleds up there could make the climb through the tight trees (YES, I SAID IT! TREES:)) with the snow as deep as it was. Must have been a miracle, eh? ;)

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
Broke the steering post on my cat up farmington on a great day, missed most of it getting the sled out because I was by myself and had to walk out, long story.

Ended up having a great ride on the Apex that day although only for about an hour and a half before I need to go home.

I heard that you got a ride back to the truck from some of my friends. They were real impressed with that Apex.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
They are certainly heavy pigs and don't float in the powder worth a darn! I sure wouldn't recommend one to anyone who enjoys riding the steep and deep. When it comes to bottomless powder a naturally aspirated 2-stroke is far and away the best choice.......especially the XP cause it's "light as a feather"

Did I forget to mention that there was a reason our heavy pigs were the only sleds riding that area that day? None of the other sleds up there could make the climb through the tight trees (YES, I SAID IT! TREES:)) with the snow as deep as it was. Must have been a miracle, eh? ;)

I'l have to conceed, I've never seen a Tapex in trees until about 3 weeks ago, and I'll have to say I was just a little more than impressed. The snow was damn deep too. My friend(riding a 910 in an edge mod w/all lightweight parts &163 track) and I(riding 800 edge W/SLP single, intake, & 159 track) we're working are way up through some tight trees(the deep dark forest as 383 used to put it) to get to one of our riding areas and in the process of digging my sled out for the 100th time, did I mention the snow was deep?? I heard this sled coming up from below us with the engine just screaming, turbo a whining, all of sudden this Tapex crests the hill below us and goes sailing past us all while mowing down trees that were slightly less that 2" in diameter. The part that really impressed me was the fact that the guy was able to get off the throttle to do some manouvering through the trees and still be able to hit it again and get back up on the snow and keep going up without planting it and in the conditions we were in, I was stuck if my throttle had more than .030" clearance to the bar.

The guy on the Tapex ended up turning around to give us a hand to get out, his machine apparently had an Alpine set-up, he ended up getting stuck later on and needed a little help to get out, but in that snow you were stuck at least once no matter who you are or what you ride, fact of life.

Obviously the skill of this rider played a big part and it may have been impressive to see him on a lightweight 2 stroke with 200 - 250 hp. Either way, unlike Bigfoot, the Tapex in trees is no longer a myth.

X
Nov 26, 2007
I'l have to conceed, I've never seen a Tapex in trees until about 3 weeks ago, and I'll have to say I was just a little more than impressed. The snow was damn deep too. My friend(riding a 910 in an edge mod w/all lightweight parts &163 track) and I(riding 800 edge W/SLP single, intake, & 159 track) we're working are way up through some tight trees(the deep dark forest as 383 used to put it) to get to one of our riding areas and in the process of digging my sled out for the 100th time, did I mention the snow was deep?? I heard this sled coming up from below us with the engine just screaming, turbo a whining, all of sudden this Tapex crests the hill below us and goes sailing past us all while mowing down trees that were slightly less that 2" in diameter. The part that really impressed me was the fact that the guy was able to get off the throttle to do some manouvering through the trees and still be able to hit it again and get back up on the snow and keep going up without planting it and in the conditions we were in, I was stuck if my throttle had more than .030" clearance to the bar.

The guy on the Tapex ended up turning around to give us a hand to get out, his machine apparently had an Alpine set-up, he ended up getting stuck later on and needed a little help to get out, but in that snow you were stuck at least once no matter who you are or what you ride, fact of life.

Obviously the skill of this rider played a big part and it may have been impressive to see him on a lightweight 2 stroke with 200 - 250 hp. Either way, unlike Bigfoot, the Tapex in trees is no longer a myth.

Wow! This may be the first honest, first hand experience from a third party in this regard that I have read on the forum. Thanks for your input. My TApex has been one of the funnest deep snow sleds in and out of the trees that I have ever had. However, in the latest video in spring conditions I was definitely missing the lightweight feel of my M Sled. ;)

Premium Features