• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions as of 3/14/12

U
Jan 26, 2008
Rode yesterday still plenty of snow although wasnt much fun getting off in the trees very wet wanted to suck you under. No bare spots on trail yet but not far off. Rode 1 south out if Trailshead down around to buckhorn, west of buckhorn back around to Trailshead.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trails

There has been no trail grooming all week and by the looks of the forecast it is probably finished for the season. Looks like the Hills is pretty much done for the year except for that unexpected spring snowstorm.

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
Coming

Well I figure I might as weel get some riding in out there. As I got to come out and get my truck. I'm sure we will have some fun.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Riding

I think you will probably find some ridable snow this weekend. We always rode these last weekends down south off trail 12 back in Parmlee. Was always some untracked stuff back there but watch out for the stock dams. Bring the sunblock.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode to Spearfish Canyon and back on trail 4. Went South on 1 to 3 to State line, cut back to 1, South to 11, 11 to 12, 12 to junction 1 and 9, North on 1 to 8, 8 to 2 through Black Fox, 2 to 2a and back to Hardy Camp. Found some small bare spots on 4, 2a, and 1 near Trailshead. 4 was 25% bare from roughlock falls to the lodge but you can still find snow around the edges. Trails 1, 11, and 12 South were in good condition. Snow was still holding on 2 through Black Fox. 8 only had 2 partially bare corners you can miss by riding along the edge. Trails definitely smoother to the South. Meadow riding is still good. The trees are challenging, 1 second your on top the next you dive to the bottom. Very unpredictable. If you value you sled you will need to wait until lunch to ride to find soft snow to keep lubed and cool. Tommorrow is suppose to be close to 80 in Rapid City.

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
Rode to Spearfish Canyon and back on trail 4. Went South on 1 to 3 to State line, cut back to 1, South to 11, 11 to 12, 12 to junction 1 and 9, North on 1 to 8, 8 to 2 through Black Fox, 2 to 2a and back to Hardy Camp. Found some small bare spots on 4, 2a, and 1 near Trailshead. 4 was 25% bare from roughlock falls to the lodge but you can still find snow around the edges. Trails 1, 11, and 12 South were in good condition. Snow was still holding on 2 through Black Fox. 8 only had 2 partially bare corners you can miss by riding along the edge. Trails definitely smoother to the South. Meadow riding is still good. The trees are challenging, 1 second your on top the next you dive to the bottom. Very unpredictable. If you value you sled you will need to wait until lunch to ride to find soft snow to keep lubed and cool. Tommorrow is suppose to be close to 80 in Rapid City.

So how many miles is that in one day? On one hand i would say you are the luckiest man on earth, but as we all know your job has a down side too.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
So how many miles is that in one day? On one hand i would say you are the luckiest man on earth, but as we all know your job has a down side too.

95 miles. That is the route I take every 2 weeks to download traffic counter data. We have infrared counters at various locations which we download on a docking station and can transfer to a laptop. It gives us counts we can use for comparison on traffic trends. We can also graph the data by day or even by the hour of day. My poor worn out 2011 skidoo turned 8100 miles today.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Trick Question

Out of pure curiosity, who writes the GP&F websight trail conditions? Have followed it for many years. Reports are always spot on.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Today's warm temps and wind took its toll on the snow today. Thin spots are becoming bare and bare spots are becoming larger. Seeing slush and running water on some sections of trail. It is not cooling off tonight. Still almost 50 degrees at Hardy Camp. Was 83 degrees in Rapid City today. The bottom is starting to drop out of the base in the meadows. Without cooler temps and snow it does not look good. Chance of moisture on Monday and Tuesday, unknown if it will be rain or snow up high. It is suppose to be warm again by the end of next week.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Another warm and windy day. I am afraid this season is pretty much done unless you are lucky to catch one of the spring storms at the right time. Parked the patrol sled for the year and will now be spending my time at the lake unless something changes before the end of the month. Found a small avalanch along trail 11 today. I will post the picture tommorrow when I get home.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
another year

My sled has been parked since Super bowl. Thanks everyone for all updates.

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
Where?

So does anyone have any ideas on what areas would be the best places to ride? Leaving tomorrow night and will be riding for a couple days. Any input would be well thanked!!!!

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Definately trailshead, at this point its almost your only bet.....Road up the canyon on my motorcycle today and of course there was snow but even at cheyanne crossing the snow was spotty...islands of brown surrounded by white

Premium Features