• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

big bore ultra talk

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
U
Oct 13, 2002
Deer Park, WA
Long Live the Ultra!!

I love my 800 BB. Not even comparable to the stock bore even with Pipes.

Here's a picture of mine in 96 XCR custom chassis.

Kevin

Keith, Nice to meet you newbie!! Don't put any pics of yours up, makes mine look cheap!!lol

Picture 143.jpg

it's a sickness

my name is Roy and I'm addicted to triples,yes,I have to admit that even though I really didn't have the finances,when I seen snowlovers 800 sever for sale I had to have it.I was rebuilding the stock ultra motor wishing i had 800 jugs and slugs to put in it,when I went to the snow show and there it was,and now I have it,sever built 800,can't wait to see what she'll do,so now the stocker got rebuild,with slp domes.the girl friend will ride my stocker and I'll ride the big bore,thanks Ivan,I got the primary parts in mail.ever since I rode my 1st triple,long ago(incidentally it was a BSA rocket 3 motorcycle) I've been hopelessly addicted to the power,LONG LIVE THE TRIPLE!!

U
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
my 900 is between 180 and 195 depending on witch heads i have on it

IWantATurbo, what kind of a setup are you running on that 900? I have one, and I am trying to get it to run better at high altitude, it has pretty good mid to full throttle power, but no low end, any suggestions?
My setup:

For 9,000 ft-10,000 ft:
HTG big volume pipes
38 roundslides
290 mains
6dh8 needle #1.5 e-clip
Q-4 needles

U
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
P-4 needle jet is quite a bit leaner than my Q-4, might be a place to start.
When I ran those 290 mains seemed plently rich, but maybe I need to go smaller on the needle jet.

HTG hasn't been any help in tuning these 900's at altitude, so thanx for for response.

BTW, do you run the SPX ignition box on that 900?

J

j.c.higgins

Nov 26, 2007
St. Albert, Alberta
800 ultra running a P-6 needle jet with 6FL14 needles usually 6-8000ft. Using a vari-flow and was in the 290-280 range but i was running a couple of gallons or race last year. This year running straight premium so i'll have to start over again to get my setup right. "Kevin your pics not working, besides nothing wrong with your sled!" Keith.

S
I got an unknown built 800 BB now in a '04 XR440 chassis. Absolutely amazingly fun sled :D Motor was originally in a 96 Ultra, single piped, stock looking. Got that chassis wrecked and the guy didn't know what the motor really was. I found out when I rebuilt it...talk about a nice surprise. Now has rack flatslide carbs, Vforce reeds, and SLP pipes.

Still working on fitting the pipes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/squidward731/Snowmobile/04 pro xr/2007-12-01008.jpg

What are you guys running for clutching?? I'm looking for more of a flatlander base setup.

P
Dec 4, 2007
Squidward
What jetting are you using in the flatslides, i am building a BB ultra in a 440Edge chassie and im going to use a flatsliderack from a Xcr800.
I use Psi modblasters, in my chassie i made a new motorplate and the modblasters fit right in without any cutting on the pipes.
I am going to use the stock airbox too.

J

j.c.higgins

Nov 26, 2007
St. Albert, Alberta
Squidward maybe try a Almond round in the primary or Almond/Gold. Secondary maybe try a 52/36 or 50/34 with a Silver/blue spring. Weight for 8600rpm if using PSI Modblasters.

S
Squidward
What jetting are you using in the flatslides, i am building a BB ultra in a 440Edge chassie and im going to use a flatsliderack from a Xcr800.
I use Psi modblasters, in my chassie i made a new motorplate and the modblasters fit right in without any cutting on the pipes.
I am going to use the stock airbox too.

I'm actually using 38mm racks from a MachZ. At the time I was broke as a joke and couldn't find xcr8 carbs with black slides for under 300. They've worked really damn good and they were cheap. I've also heard that SLP pipes from a wedge fit in an edge w/o cutting.

Squidward maybe try a Almond round in the primary or Almond/Gold. Secondary maybe try a 52/36 or 50/34 with a Silver/blue spring. Weight for 8600rpm if using PSI Modblasters.

Thanks. I picked up what I think is an almond round at haydays for $2 or something. I'll throw that in. Need to take my secondary apart and refresh my memory whats in there. I know its a dual rate helix from an unknown mfgt for a piped ultra (got it with a roller I bought) The pipes are SLP's low rpm...what rpm am I shooting for??

Oh, does anyone know how far out I should put the EGT probes on these. For my old Hot Seats they said 9".

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
JOHNO

Why did you switch the watercraft for a Ultra engine?

RS

J

johno

Nov 26, 2007
Ultra for watercraft.

Found a tree last year with the watercraft and was sick of rebuilding tuning so bought a turbo apex. My second yami turbo.
After that got a decent offer for the motor and was going to part the chassis.
With no wrenching to be done on the turbo I bought a used ultra motor with high rpm pipes and decided to see if I could get it in there for a fall project waiting for snow. Now I think my niece has a couple of rides on it and will be her sled.
I am considering doing a big bore however if I found one for a steal and using it for some spring riding.
Tripples get into your blood.

B
Jan 3, 2008
I have owned and built several 800 ultras....

I had an engine tech 800, with psi pipes, and flat slide carbs that ripped. Also built a buddy a HTG 800 that also ripped. I wish I would have never gotten rid of that sled, I still miss it. If any of you guys need a couple of good case halves, or cdi or well, got lots of spare parts,:face-icon-small-ton let me know... I will let you have them for a song and dance....

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
Ultra

Does no one on here run the 760 or 800 UnionBay BB kit cause it is where the ultra motors at, ive seen these motors playing with turbo sleds and the turbo guys were blown away with how they ran, they are sick, as far as naturally aspirated ive never seen anything close to an 800 even run with these UB motors they rock and there only 800s with close to 200 hp

Last edited:

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
900 HTG big bore in a wedge chassis with HTG pipes. Uses 97' Ultra case, crank and waterpump and 97 SPX flywheel.

XCR 800 motor mounts and SLP torque arm.

XCR 800 carbs, XCR 800 carb-boots, XCR 800 coild brackets and coils.
Carbs are setup with 1.5 slides and 03' 600 RMK needles (9DGI-60 as I recall).
V-Force Delta 3 reeds.
SPX ignition.
Adjustable chrome moly radius rods with heim-joint ends (running aprox 37" stance with traditional Simmons skis)

Fabcraft 156 tunnel.
Tison rolled/extended chaincase.
Holz rear suspension using 151 Xtra-lite rails,Holz big-wheel kit with adjustable rail extenders to accomodate a 156 Camo Challenger track.
Custom Holz U-cooler that runs the entire length of the tunnel. Custom coolant system plumbing using various pieces purchased from an auto-parts store.
SLP airbox modified with a sheet metal shroud to seal it to the underside of the hood for cold-air intake.

Clutching - still using a good, ol' button secondary. I've used various helixes and springs over the years. Right now, I'm using a 48-34 SLP Mountain Dial-A-Spring helix with an SLP black-grey spring. So far this has worked as well as the 52-34 SLP helix with the yellow purple. The only thing I need to do is grind about a gram and a half off the tips of the 10-56 weights.

Primary is a wide-roller with 911 cover. Had the whole she-bang balanced by Indydan. (I can't recommend this mod strongly enough. The 911 cover just plain flat works and balancing is a no-brainer.

Notes: The sled started life as a 96' Ultra RMK purchased in January 98'. It has evolved over the years to what it is today - SLP pipes, various suspension mods and tracks, chaincase upgrade, etc. have been used over the years.

Things I've learned:

Engine tuning - I've found these sleds will run leaner than most are willing to believe. The 03' 600 rmk needle/1.5 slide setup has been working well and fuel economy is actually pretty good.
These engines need more timing and seem to work best with the triple-pipe ignitions from the 97 SPX or 98 XCR - the 97 SPX is plug-compatible with the 96/97 wiring harness but the 98 XCR isn't, BTW. The latter works but you need to make jumper wires or roll-your-own custom setup to connect. Timing wise, 18 to 20 degrees at 8100 works well. Lower than that and you'll find high EGT temps and lower efficiency since there is fuel burning in the pipe. Another note on timing - the 96 flywheels were notoriously off. One of the best things you can do is invest in a dial-gauge and degree wheel and set new timing marks (not to mention these tools are a "must have" if you want to verify crank-phasing the right way).

Round-slides with UFO's work really well too but the flatslides are sure easier to live with day-to-day.

As I think of more, I'll add it.

Premium Features