• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important Are we all becoming SNOW SNOBS?????????

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I’ve been a self labeled snow snob for quite a few years now but for completely different reasons.

I no longer ride with new people. I’ve also eliminated people I used to ride with. I am over all the unsafe nonsense and stupidity that threatens the groups safety. I have a select group of people that I ride with because I can trust them. Trust their judgement on the hill and trust they will show up on time and buy my fuel.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
A lot are talking about the same, I personally do not find it fun riding in poor snow conditions when a 136 can go to those places in low snow, to me it’s boring. Owning a sled that’s designed to be ridden in deep snow, not with scratcher down and a snowflap on. So yah I have snow expectations no fun dragging a broken sled out of the alpine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of us who have chased deep yumminess for for decades feel the same, it’s still a good opportunity to educate family and friends learning their way in mountain terrain on a sled. It’s fun sharing😁

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Serious Question for everyone here on SnoWest.
I posted this video today to the SnoWest Forums FB page.

Take a watch and offer your comment.

With a little notice (I'm ~5 hrs away from IP), I would be down to ride with you when you find yourself in this position again. I'm new-ish and on an older sled, so might be more trouble than I'm worth, but figured I'd offer it up since I can generally have a flexible work arrangement and am usually down for anything interesting. Not afraid of putting some miles on, either.

I was actually supposed to be in IP today & tomorrow, but plans fell through and I'm hesitant to ride a new area alone. It looks fantastic, though! I haven't been on a sled in a year - took the slow start to winter as an opportunity to knock out some more schooling - so all snow is appealing to me at the moment! 😆

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With a little notice (I'm ~5 hrs away from IP), I would be down to ride with you when you find yourself in this position again. I'm new-ish and on an older sled, so might be more trouble than I'm worth, but figured I'd offer it up since I can generally have a flexible work arrangement and am usually down for anything interesting. Not afraid of putting some miles on, either.

I was actually supposed to be in IP today & tomorrow, but plans fell through and I'm hesitant to ride a new area alone. It looks fantastic, though! I haven't been on a sled in a year - took the slow start to winter as an opportunity to knock out some more schooling - so all snow is appealing to me at the moment! 😆
if you are content with just riding trails, then IP is probably one of the few places it it safe to do so as there are SO MANY other sleds out there.
Worst case you spend a couple days riding 600 miles of groomed trails and just getting a FEEL for the place in general and scouting out all the locations you want to COME BACK TO and explore off trail. That alone might get you motivated to upgrade your old sled!!

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
if you are content with just riding trails, then IP is probably one of the few places it it safe to do so as there are SO MANY other sleds out there.
Worst case you spend a couple days riding 600 miles of groomed trails and just getting a FEEL for the place in general and scouting out all the locations you want to COME BACK TO and explore off trail. That alone might get you motivated to upgrade your old sled!!

Trails = boring to me, but you're right in that it would probably be a good (and safe) recon strategy to roll solo on trails just to explore the area.

I'm told that there isn't a huge need to upgrade ('07 M8 162 w/ 2.6 PC), but I could be easily convinced otherwise! Waiting on the Catalyst 858 to hit its 2nd model year before pulling the trigger...sleds have become too expensive for me to be a beta tester.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Trails = boring to me, but you're right in that it would probably be a good (and safe) recon strategy to roll solo on trails just to explore the area.

I'm told that there isn't a huge need to upgrade ('07 M8 162 w/ 2.6 PC), but I could be easily convinced otherwise! Waiting on the Catalyst 858 to hit its 2nd model year before pulling the trigger...sleds have become too expensive for me to be a beta tester.
I'll convince you right now. You need to get rid of the friends that told you that. Completely wrong. New cat is night and day better than ascender alpha and it is night and day better than your 07. Get after it. You're not getting any younger. Snowcheck closes 5th of march.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I hear ya.
I only make the suggestion as you said RIDING ALONE (something I do all too often myself).

As for the sled.
I think you will be blown away at how much better a 2025 is over your 2007.
It really is freaking NIGHT & DAY difference.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Turbosport, listen to Terry. He gave me the same advice last year and I went and jumped ship and bought a 9R. I'm so happy with my decision, best sled I've owned to date. It's like that sled was made for me!

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Turbosport, listen to Terry. He gave me the same advice last year and I went and jumped ship and bought a 9R. I'm so happy with my decision, best sled I've owned to date. It's like that sled was made for me!

All in good time, my friend. Believe me, when the time is right, it'll happen. I've been considering picking up something in a Matryx chassis as an interim step to hold me over. Need a few things to fall in line before making a move.

I started a thread last year asking if it would be worth upgrading as a newbie and was surprised by the advice I got, which somewhat contradicts what's been said here. Normally, people are all about helping spend some one else's money. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't wait to join the ranks!

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
All in good time, my friend. Believe me, when the time is right, it'll happen. I've been considering picking up something in a Matryx chassis as an interim step to hold me over. Need a few things to fall in line before making a move.

I started a thread last year asking if it would be worth upgrading as a newbie and was surprised by the advice I got, which somewhat contradicts what's been said here. Normally, people are all about helping spend some one else's money. :)

Personally, If I were you I would be looking at buying a late model sled at the end of season. Best value would probably be the end of a ****ty season such as this past one one. They seem to gett quite cheap then and plenty of people spring order or buy new every year. The rub this year is of course the 858 is very compelling due to all the positive reviews of the 600 from this season. Maybe look for a 24 600 Catalyst this spring and then an 858 at end of next season if they hold up well.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Depends on what the next few months bring - hoping to make some changes and a new sled doesn't fit into that plan (thanks, housing market!!!). Good point on the Catalyst 600 making a good holdover. My wife is interested in updating her Rev 600 at some point, so I could use the Catalyst as a temporary update until I can get an 858, then pass the 600 to her. Hmm...might have to keep an eye out and see what deals pop up.

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Depends on what the next few months bring - hoping to make some changes and a new sled doesn't fit into that plan (thanks, housing market!!!). Good point on the Catalyst 600 making a good holdover. My wife is interested in updating her Rev 600 at some point, so I could use the Catalyst as a temporary update until I can get an 858, then pass the 600 to her. Hmm...might have to keep an eye out and see what deals pop up.
I hear ya on the housing market - same here for my business interests. Hope it works out for you.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

I'm probably one of those guys who suggested a more "wait and see" approach. Definitely try out different sleds whenever you can. Definitely don't spend big money on something you haven't tried out, especially if it's a stretch. I've got a bit of riding in on a Catalyst, and I was impressed - but I don't think any sled is worth blowing the finances over. Only you know how much it makes sense to spend. There's also an argument for riding (and tearing up) old junk in these crummy winters instead of new stuff. Whatever you decide on, new or used, being patient for the right deal will pay dividends. Lots of holdovers makes for some good deals out there for new sleds, but that also drives down the used market. And as usual, buying out of season usually helps.

Anyway, on the snow snobs question, I've gotta say I'm not a snow snob, but I am a "no carnage" snob! I've been hearing of guys tearing up their sleds well past the timeframe where you normally have enough snow to bury the land mines, and then I tagged one myself last weekend. I can see how you could get to where you don't want to ride unless it's fresh in good snow years, but this winter, and the last couple really, you're just happy if there's solid snow to unload on and the rocks and stumps are buried. Lately it seems I'm able to ride about as late as I ever have, but the beginning of the season has definitely slid to the right. I'll keep riding on whatever I can get, but I just hope the cycle of low snow winters will break sooner, not later!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyway, on the snow snobs question, I've gotta say I'm not a snow snob, but I am a "no carnage" snob! I've been hearing of guys tearing up their sleds well past the timeframe where you normally have enough snow to bury the land mines, and then I tagged one myself last weekend. I can see how you could get to where you don't want to ride unless it's fresh in good snow years, but this winter, and the last couple really, you're just happy if there's solid snow to unload on and the rocks and stumps are buried. Lately it seems I'm able to ride about as late as I ever have, but the beginning of the season has definitely slid to the right. I'll keep riding on whatever I can get, but I just hope the cycle of low snow winters will break sooner, not later!
I hit my first real buried/hidden stump of the season yesterday..

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Last winter was a record snow year in many places. This winter started dry for a lot of places and now many of those places have been getting hammered. Pocatello ID weather station recently report this year as the 2nd in a row that snowfall recorded surpassed the average for the 1st time since the late '80s. It drives my nuts people talk about streaks of bad winters. Its the weather. Weather is variable. Yes we postponed from early Jan to late Jan because there hadn't been a lot of snow - we are driving over 30 hours or flying from the East Coast. But if I lived within 3 hours of snow, I'd be out dodging roots and rocks every chance I could. The core riding group boys are actually in Utah waiting out todays heavy snow to ride on the rest of the week.

Premium Features