• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important Are we all becoming SNOW SNOBS?????????

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
As of yesterday, all three are CORRECT.
I did a LONG loop all the way around Island Park and West Yellowstone yesterday, and the conditions varried from absolutely HORRIBLE (in West) to downright great (above 8,000ft). Rode into West for Lunch and coming out the main access trail was a disaster, Its BROWN. but as you climbed up out of the valley it got better and better with altitude. By the time I made the summit of Two Tops, the snow was pretty darn good, and over on the idaho side in Black Canyon, it was very good.

Now the next week is going to DESTROY a lot of it with the coming high temps, and then it all resets in the first 3 days of February.

So all the reports are accurate. Its just a matter of exactly WHERE you go on the same mountain.
We are here riding and there is some good snow when you get to where no one’s been.
Rode the centennials today and miles of untracked goodness, the snow today was challenging with a stiff upper layer in some places that could catch you off guard. Snow in the trees was very good at 8,000’ and up.
Avi danger is real right now and we observed some large shooting cracks and whooping. Stayed off the risky stuff and had a fabulous day.
It’s good riding when you get into the right places😎

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Just got back from Mtn west of my house helping a neighbor get a limping sled out.
Unloaded where there should be three ft, no plows….
Rode about three hundred yards of gravel adding up several 10-30 yd strips. Where we should have 60” base is showing four wires of a five wire fence in the bottoms at 9,000’.
Gonna take a lot to make the year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got back from Mtn west of my house helping a neighbor get a limping sled out.
Unloaded where there should be three ft, no plows….
Rode about three hundred yards of gravel adding up several 10-30 yd strips. Where we should have 60” base is showing four wires of a five wire fence in the bottoms at 9,000’.
Gonna take a lot to make the year.
ya, I see no reason to think we are going to suddenly "BOUNCE BACK".
But there is snow up high.
We can get to it
and I am reasonably sure we will get MOAR SNOW between now and the end of Spring.

Been in the garage all morning wrenching on my sled so I can go do MOAR RIDING this week!

idaho_adventure

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2015
I rode Stamp Meadows in Island Park today with the wife and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was surprised how few trailer there were in the parking lot. I rode up much higher by Victor yesterday and the untacked was perfect enough to enjoy the advantages of my 24 expert turbo. Previous tracks are set up pretty hard so we could use more to fill in the holes but the temperatures didn't make a hard crust layer. I agree with the rant. Get it while you can and it is better than you think.

P
Dec 15, 2018
There where some caches of snow in and about the joint but alas it needs to snow and get cold. I rode with my friend and long time guide from Rasmussen and there was a report of a grizzly spotted near warm springs! So yeah not a typical winter. May be a bad stuck somewhere for some ooor bastard if a sleep deprived hungry grizz bear walks up lol. Still better than working overtime and when it was good it was actually pretty good. Pray for snow

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I spent last week in Western WY - while it was still somewhat fun and you could go anywhere (minus avalanche risk) - it just wasn't the same. I went with a group that normally has 15+ guys and we struggled to find 9. We all left for home early due to the poor conditions and damaged two sleds during the trip.

With the ballooning costs of machines, gear, travel and the unpredictability of good snow - I'm starting to wonder why I do this anymore TBH.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With the ballooning costs of machines, gear, travel and the unpredictability of good snow - I'm starting to wonder why I do this anymore TBH.
Because when it is good, ITS FREAKING AWESOME.
There is absolutely nothing else like it out there.

We endure the Temporary SUCK to experience the Everlasting JOY.:)

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I spent last week in Western WY - while it was still somewhat fun and you could go anywhere (minus avalanche risk) - it just wasn't the same. I went with a group that normally has 15+ guys and we struggled to find 9. We all left for home early due to the poor conditions and damaged two sleds during the trip.

A lot are talking about the same, I personally do not find it fun riding in poor snow conditions when a 136 can go to those places in low snow, to me it’s boring. Owning a sled that’s designed to be ridden in deep snow, not with scratcher down and a snowflap on. So yah I have snow expectations no fun dragging a broken sled out of the alpine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
This isn't an answer for many people, but a snowbike is a helluva lot more fun in low snow conditions. You can explore through all the tight areas and hit the places that the snowmobiles don't/can't go.
I completely agree that any 156" with a 3" paddle rides/handles like garbage in low snow.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

I live 45 minutes away from riding... I've gone 3 times this year and I'd say 2 of the 3 were "early season" conditions even though the 2nd day was in January. Sucks getting crappy years and I can't imagine what it is like for you guys driving 5-12hours and the added expense of the gas/hotel/food. At the same time I do sort of miss the 5+ hour drive because that meant you were locked into riding for a few days and you were going to ride no matter what. Personally, I don't bother unless there has been at least a foot or 2 of snow in the last 3-4 days so yeah I've definitely become a snob. If conditions suck I'd rather get crush beers on the ski hill.

S
Jan 21, 2016
I see this also with many riders. I am 66 and also ride solo because of this. And when I do ride solo, I have had some dam good snow conditions. But I have to be really careful of how far out I get and how far off road I go. I do carry enough survival equipment for one night in the hills would be doable. Also have and InReach. I let my wife know exactly where I am going, and I do not deviate from the plan. these rides are also where my riding Buddys know I will be.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I see this also with many riders. I am 66 and also ride solo because of this. And when I do ride solo, I have had some dam good snow conditions. But I have to be really careful of how far out I get and how far off road I go. I do carry enough survival equipment for one night in the hills would be doable. Also have and InReach. I let my wife know exactly where I am going, and I do not deviate from the plan. these rides are also where my riding Buddys know I will be.
Sounds all to familiar my friend!!

Premium Features