• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DO YOU NEED BOOST? | Pros vs Cons, Which One?, Ski-Doo vs Lynx vs Polaris Turbo, and TURBO TUNES

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In this episode of Let's Assess we talk about boosted/turbo snowmobiles and if you should get one or not. We go over each manufacture and talk about the pros and cons of each. We also talk about the Pros and cons of riding a turbo or supercharged sled, when it comes to investment and getting your riding better.

If you're an adrenaline junkie or a winter sports enthusiast, you've probably wondered about the thrill of riding a turbocharged snowmobile. In today's video, we're diving deep into the world of turbo snowmobiling to help you decide if it's the right choice for you.

Join us as we explore the pros and cons of turbo snowmobiles, their incredible speed and power, and the unique experiences they offer in the snow-covered landscapes. We'll break down the key factors you need to consider before taking the plunge into turbo snowmobiling, including safety, cost, and skill requirements.

BC, a seasoned snowmobiler with years of turbo snowmobile experience, will share valuable insights and tips to ensure your adventure is both thrilling and safe. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced rider, this video has something for everyone.

Here's a sneak peek of what you'll find in this video:

🛷 The Advantages of Turbo Snowmobiles: Learn about the incredible acceleration and top speeds that turbocharged snowmobiles can achieve, taking your winter adventures to the next level.

❄️ The Drawbacks: We'll discuss the challenges and potential downsides of riding a turbo snowmobile, from increased maintenance to safety concerns.

💰 Cost Breakdown: Understand the financial aspects of owning and operating a turbo snowmobile, including initial purchase prices and ongoing expenses.

🏞️ Safety First: Discover essential safety precautions and gear recommendations to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride.

📚 Skill Development: Tips and advice for improving your snowmobiling skills and gaining confidence on a turbo sled.

By the end of this video, you'll have a well-rounded understanding of whether turbo snowmobiling is the right choice for you, and if so, how to get started on your thrilling winter adventure.

By the end of this video, you'll have a well-rounded understanding of whether turbo snowmobiling is the right choice for you, and if so, how to get started on your thrilling winter adventure.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you have to ask yourself if you really need boost, you may be too old for snowmobiling. Please contact your local 4H club to join the Wednesday night knitting group.
Excellent reply!!!

When the question is Boost.
The answer is always, YES PLEASE.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
As much as I enjoy my doo boost wheelies and the track speed to get me out of some bs
I enjoy riding my na cat ten times more. But it's mainly a chassis thing
I just don't put myself in those situations I'd need the track speed

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I have a turbo, a bigger (than stock) engine and stock but ported engine in same chassis but 3 different sleds. I find I have more fun on the 2 N/A sleds than the turbo. Instant throttle response and less weight on the front end make a big difference in technical riding. I have owned many 2 and 4 stroke turbos over the years as well and if I was still climbing chutes and going to Revy every month I would still be riding them. For the type of riding I find in our area they aren't as necessary. I still will keep one for the deep wide open hill powder days as it is still hella fun blowing by stuck guys in 3 ft of pow on a 45 degree slope with 10 lbs of boost pushing you. The new Doo turbos seem to be pretty close to the N/A stuff now but I can't get used to the chassis.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I tend to ride my na sleds more than my boosted sleds. I feel more tired after a day of riding my boosted sled and my shoulders hurt. The last 1/2 of the season I picked up a stock hardcore 154 and the boosted and stage 3 sleds stayed in the trailer.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Love my G5. Where I ride the spinny thingy definitely helps and is a riot on the deep days. My G4 turbo would wear me out after a three day ride, this G5 expert is like butter on bread, very smooth and linear, and its nice to have the extra power when you mash it to the bar when it’s needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
it ain't the sled
Its the RIDER on the sled that has the struggle.
True, our sleds allow us to be good riders when we have learned, practiced and can execute those skills in Mountain Terrain.
The main reason I prefer a NA over a turbo is simple, at my age and skill level a turbo gets me in out of control situations much more often and increases the risk of really bad chit happening😜 I much prefer giving up some power (and some days I wish I had it) for the control and precision. I prefer to be where I thought I was going to be in technical steep terrain than not where I thought I was going to be with the turbo spooled and an old man OOC😂
Also, fitness plays a part, if I were younger and stronger I would most likely ride a turbo because I ride a lot with friends on turbos and giving up power and track speed…..🧐

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
All true
But the PURE JOY that comes from the Turbo...
I know you love your turbo, and in the more open terrain you ride it’s a great thing.
If I rode the same terrain primarily a turbo would suit me fine.
Where I spend a lot of time, steeper trees and technical terrain the turbo does not work as well for me vs my na.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I know you love your turbo, and in the more open terrain you ride it’s a great thing.
If I rode the same terrain primarily a turbo would suit me fine.
Where I spend a lot of time, steeper trees and technical terrain the turbo does not work as well for me vs my na.

Not sure what brand sled you are talking about.
The boost and a doo turbo are two different sleds. A G5 doo turbo is a powerful NA, the response is that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Not sure what brand sled you are talking about.
The boost and a doo turbo are two different sleds. A G5 doo turbo is a powerful NA, the response is that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed, I’m talking poo. Have ridden friends doo’s and nearly no lag. The new doos are definitely great sleds that are much improved in the handling dept than previously. I’m just used to Polaris handling and have not wanted to change.
With either brand in the na version I get everywhere I want to go and some places I wish I hadn’t. As stated if I were younger, quicker, stronger and still had the set of kahunas I had way back when I’d be on a turbo whether I rode it better or not😂

Premium Features