• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important Are we all becoming SNOW SNOBS?????????

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’ve been noticing that as well.
Many area snowpacks are now above 100% of average.
Deceptive due to warm temps down low, our snowline is a good 2000’ higher than normal and 10” of mud to get through.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
I'm probably one of those guys who suggested a more "wait and see" approach. Definitely try out different sleds whenever you can. Definitely don't spend big money on something you haven't tried out, especially if it's a stretch. I've got a bit of riding in on a Catalyst, and I was impressed - but I don't think any sled is worth blowing the finances over. Only you know how much it makes sense to spend. There's also an argument for riding (and tearing up) old junk in these crummy winters instead of new stuff. Whatever you decide on, new or used, being patient for the right deal will pay dividends. Lots of holdovers makes for some good deals out there for new sleds, but that also drives down the used market. And as usual, buying out of season usually helps.

Anyway, on the snow snobs question, I've gotta say I'm not a snow snob, but I am a "no carnage" snob! I've been hearing of guys tearing up their sleds well past the timeframe where you normally have enough snow to bury the land mines, and then I tagged one myself last weekend. I can see how you could get to where you don't want to ride unless it's fresh in good snow years, but this winter, and the last couple really, you're just happy if there's solid snow to unload on and the rocks and stumps are buried. Lately it seems I'm able to ride about as late as I ever have, but the beginning of the season has definitely slid to the right. I'll keep riding on whatever I can get, but I just hope the cycle of low snow winters will break sooner, not later!
Kicking myself for not making the trip out for the demo last weekend...

P
Dec 15, 2018
Having green grass all winter to have 100% snowfall in spring seems like different? Even though iam told we’re close here we rode and it looks like grass and rocks where it usually isn’t. Lol here’s the hazard beartooth was talking about!(hopefully he doesn’t care i posted it!!!!!)

4762ED5F-A082-4A1F-A443-9DC0A0347755.jpeg

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’m talking snowpack and rainfall percentages. Very specific and long data available.

I’ve always ridden more in Feb, March than Dec, Jan.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
And to your perspective pc, west Yellowstone into MT are some of the lowest percentages in the region this year, across the pass into ID jumps quick.

Premium Features