• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 2s snobikes impressions???

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i ride 2s in the mountains on single track
i see the big 4s are the primary sno bikes
just wanting impressions or comparisons on the 4s vs 2s

thank you for input

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I can't speak for the 300, but I went from a YZ450F to a CR500AF and I have no plans at all to go back... if you like to ride aggressively the smokers are for you. Don't have to worry about staying off the rev limiter.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I like my mod 300 better than any 450 ive rode this year

Lighter
More nimble
less moving parts in the engine
runs at lower RPM so theoretically less engine wear

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm unfortunately timing wise rebuilding my 2t motor as we speak as it turns out due to the PO putting the bottom end together wrong. When its all said and done it will have cost me 1/3 of what I spent rebuilding my KTM 4T motor twice. My buddy has close to $3k into his KTM rebuild and is hoping to get 40 rides out of it, that's bad math IMO.

I'm honestly surprised that the manufacturers haven't voided warranties on 4T bikes that are used as snow bikes already. IMO its coming. KTM will be the first. Riding styles aside the 2T offers a bunch of advantages between cost savings and weight reduction. If I ever go back to a 4T, which I doubt, I don't think I'd look at anything but a Yamaha at this point.

M5

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I like my mod 300 better than any 450 ive rode this year

Lighter
More nimble
less moving parts in the engine
runs at lower RPM so theoretically less engine wear
This bike has really been impressive to me. I have been damn happy with my YZ450 but I could see having a 300 SX for a super agile setup and a YZ LT for deep pow slaying.

The 300's just tend to be more money to start off with, and most guys have them dialed for woods so hate to corrupt their nice summer bikes. race 450's are cheap and easy to come by hence why there are so many on the snow.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Lost compression on my cr 500 a few weeks ago. $280 got me a piston, gasket kit, and rebore from my local machine shop. More on topic though, it sounds like the 300 works really well on snow.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
IMHO the 300 is more fun than a 450. 450 is definitely torquier and probably easier to ride, but weight diff is very noticeably and is easier on my conscience to hold a 2t tapped for sustained time. I have a nice 450sx set up for offroad racing but I paid alot for it and don't want the premature wear that I feel the track puts on it. Plus I think the 450 sound is annoying

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
You can buy a used 250sx back to 07 and have the same powerplant as current. Throw a 300sx topend on it and a carb heater and your there. Should not cost that much. I feel that used 4 stokes are more of a gamble.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I have built, helped build and rode pretty much every imaginable combination of mods on 300s, they all work really well, my girlfriends stockish 300 with a LT is really impressive! The mod 300 and 330 are a huge step up in performance though. It just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. I don't think my mod 300 gives up anything to any 450, I have ridden all of the 4 strokes back to back with it. The 500s have a lot of power but are just not as much fun to ride and you're fighting old technology with them. I would take a mod 300/330 over any 4 stroke that is out there for a multitude of reasons. If I was building a dedicated snowbike though I would go 450 race bike because they are cheap and easy to setup, and i'd get a new holdover every year of whatever I could find the cheapest, all of the 450s work pretty good.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If I was building a dedicated snowbike though I would go 450 race bike because they are cheap and easy to setup, and i'd get a new holdover every year of whatever I could find the cheapest, all of the 450s work pretty good.

That is the only demise of the 300, they are such sick summer bikes, hate having it stuck strapped to a kit when trails start opening up in the summer!

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
Even better... cut the seat, put on a lowering link and a rekluse and tell her it's her new summer bike. Haha My girlfriend was a very green rider when I put her on the 300 and it works great setup that way.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I rode mxracer299's well tuned 300 a couple weekends ago and I was impressed a lot more than I thought I would be. Granted I only got to spin the track for about 20 minutes but it was a super fun 20 minutes. I'd love to ride it more in the steep backcountry but for boondocking I can see it as the best weapon between the trees. I'm a 240lb rider so even for me it was a blast... it's got me thinking for sure.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
I have ridden the big four stroke and now am sticking with the 300 for the BIG reason, or reasons it doesn't have a fuel pump, map sensor, injector, cylinder head temp sensor, air intake sensor, wires running everywhere,ect. And you don't have to take it to the Ktm hospital to figure out what's wrong. My Lectron equipped ktm 300 goes everywhere everyone else goes and I am 240. If your FI bike runs...I am happy for you. wHEN that light comes on in the back country......been there, done that

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
although I do love my 450 w ST+TSS so far I am worried taking it 12+ hours and having something go wrong.
my only concern is elevation change. as I ride at home (1500') and also in Wyoming 10k+. how do you guys solve those issues? maybe not an issue with most?..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
although I do love my 450 w ST+TSS so far I am worried taking it 12+ hours and having something go wrong.
my only concern is elevation change. as I ride at home (1500') and also in Wyoming 10k+. how do you guys solve those issues? maybe not an issue with most?..
If your not confident enough to take your rig on trips, you should probably build something you have confidence in. Look it over, preventative maintenance. Parts break on everything, just gotta keep on top of it.

We drop 4 hours each way to ride the other day and my buddies 300 had a bole blow in the side of the pipe. Not the end of the ride right away but slowed things down a bit. Stuff breaks, 2stroke or 4.

M
Jan 14, 2004

See how it runs at elevation, but for sure I'd pack a selection of jets with that big of an elevation change just in case.

M5

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
If your not confident enough to take your rig on trips, you should probably build something you have confidence in. Look it over, preventative maintenance. Parts break on everything, just gotta keep on top of it.

We drop 4 hours each way to ride the other day and my buddies 300 had a bole blow in the side of the pipe. Not the end of the ride right away but slowed things down a bit. Stuff breaks, 2stroke or 4.

I didn't state it correctly, my 450 is EFI. I'm saying if somone like myself were to switch to a 2s platform because they like the 2s motor better how would a person make it reliable and easily tunable for elavation changes?
My maintenance is strict on my bike also, I'm not saying I'm not confident with my setup. Just seems to less things to go wrong with a 2s. I'm not sure if you have but I've paid for top end rebuilds on both 2 and 4s. Much rather pay for a 2s build especially if you have to get into the valves on 4s.
Back to topic! :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features