• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 KHAOS 800 uncurable bog..

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You betcha. In the details they sent to polaris they literally said the only thing they have left to change is the front susp, jackshaft, and track. They have a chief engineer interested in it apparently..

i’m wondering if the crank is out of phase or something crazy like that.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Sounds to me like it's revving too fast when you mash the throttle all the way and it throws it into a limp mode, have you tried throwing more aggressive clutching at it?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Sounds to me like it's revving too fast when you mash the throttle all the way and it throws it into a limp mode, have you tried throwing more aggressive clutching at it?

This is where I would have started-- if it revs out slowly and reaches peak rpm, but when you mash it it "bogs" I would install heavier weights or a softer primary spring (after the clutch has been inspected rollers, belt to sheave clearance, smooth movements of the moveable sheave, etc) to see if you can control the crank acceleration. If the ECU reads the crank acceleration as too fast, it assumes that the belt broke and retards the engine to keep the crank from spinning to the moon.

Unfortunately, troubleshooting is becoming a lost art. If DW doesn't tell the tech what the problem is, it is difficult for many to diagnose.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Exactly, they call it a soft rev. Motor revs too fast and puts it into a limp mode, no codes are thrown, also if you don't load the motor hard enough it will never reach peak RPM. I would probably start with a more aggressive Helix unless it's slipping in the primary, may need some belly buster weights or may need to add weight in the heel and belly. On my 16 800 I had the same problem, just not near as bad. I went from a straight 40 to a 60/40.36 and I could mash the throttle all the way. I believe SLP is running a 62/42.36.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I was nervous when I read this as I picked up a holdover '20 800. On the first ride out it would initiate this "bog" and kill the power at higher rpm's. I only have 93 miles on it now but that computer controlled situation is starting to clear up.

Premium Features