• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Hardcore 165 in shop for nearly 6 weeks now.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
On February 1st my chaincase cracked at the drain plug. I had not taken any hits that I knew of but none the less there was a mark on the plastic cover. I didn't know there was an issue until I got home and there was oil all over the sled deck. I also have the DBX chain case guard in place since day 1. I immediately took the sled to the dealer as a I had a 4 day trip planned the next day. Arctic cat took 3 weeks to get a reply back to the dealership and they warrantied the chaincase as when it cracked it took out the tensioner and both gears.

I take the sled to the dealer and they tell me that not only the chaincase is destroyed but there is serious damage to the track and suspension brackets. I have been diligent about checking my track tension and have never had a ratchet in 450 miles. Well they tell me that this is the third AC HC to come in with this issue and unfortunately they recommend a new track and suspension components. At this point I tell them I want to wait a week or so and hear what AC says. After week 4 I decide that if I want to sell the sled at the end of the season I am going to have it in mint condition so I give them the go ahead to fix everything.

Since February I have made 4 calls to AC.

AC is yet to give me a date on when parts will be available. I am very frustrated as each time I call AC customer care I have a long conversation about how I have been without my sled for longer and longer. The representative assures me each time they will look into the delay as a majority of 2020 parts are on backorder. I am told each time that I will get a call back and have yet to get a single return call about the situation. Each time I make sure they have my sleds VIN, my email address and cell phone.

I find this to be quite unacceptable as this is such a short season and we pay top dollar for a high performance machine. Yes, I do understand that parts will break due to abuse and rider error. However, I can not come to accept that not having common parts such as a chaincase during the season is ok.

I have not be able to ride the sled obviously and would have gladly sold it 4-5 weeks ago if I could. Now, I am out of sled for a TBD time and will loose much more money if I decide to sell it when it is fixed.

Does anyone have advice for how I can handle this issue or request compensation from AC?

I have thought about getting the Better Business Bureau involved as AC does not seem to think this an issue worth their time. As well, I believe the dealership should be taking some responsibility for this as they have told me they will not take the part off of one of there machines or offer me a machine to ride. They sell and endorse a product but have done nothing to assist in resolving the situation quickly besides pass the blame to AC.

I have had to rent a sled for a couple trips I had planned and the rest of my season has been ruined.

I am not wealthy enough to pay cash for my sled every couple years so I put a few thousand down and finance the rest. My life revolves around this sport and I have been very disappointed.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never had anything like this happen before. I have been professional, calm, and patient with AC and my dealer as I can be. Now at this point I can afford to keep loosing money and not having a sled to ride.

I am happy to answer any questions as there are probably some details I have forgotten.

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
All over the place arctic cat is struggling with parts no one seems to know whats going on,your dealer should be on the ball with this issue

I’m not sure as to what’s going on with Textron, but their stock fell 11.29% today. (Not that all stocks haven’t been in the crapper this week). It is significantly greater than the losses sustained by Polaris Industries, BRP, and Yamaha. I’m no expert, but something is brewing that may result in the sale of Cat.

The whole market / virus thing has me spooked to purchase a new sled until things stabilize.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I hope insurance is covering the sled damage. Maybe it would cover a rental sled while yours is in the shop?

Terrible service on both fronts.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I believe the dealership should be taking all responsibility for this. I have gotten every part in the track and skid in the last month. What are you waiting on?
Has your dealer used the new vehicle down program?

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
It's too bad your dealer isn't helping you out more! My 2019 800 engine melted down in January on a weekend trip. My sales guy was going to meet me at the dealer at 1am to give me their 2019 demo 800 so I could ride the rest of the weekend. Really sucks to hear the issues you're going through...I was fortunate that my dealer had injectors in stock because those are apparently on backorder still.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Maybe Textron should be less worried about pushing early build 2021 sleds out of the factory when parts are on back order for current customers that are trying to ride what they've already bought. Makes it seem like it's not a part supply issue, but it's a parts priority issue. I'd bring that up to them.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Ive been hearing more and more horror stories about Cat dealerships and more and more success stories coming from Polaris dealerships(Keep in mind I AM a Cat rider) Lately Cat has been super skimpy with their warrantees. mean while i know a guy whos Polaris sled needed a motor, Dealership paid a machanic overtime to stay late on a Friday night to ensure the sled was ready for a Saturday morning ride. Haven't heard any similar stories on the Cat front.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
It's too bad your dealer isn't helping you out more! My 2019 800 engine melted down in January on a weekend trip. My sales guy was going to meet me at the dealer at 1am to give me their 2019 demo 800 so I could ride the rest of the weekend. Really sucks to hear the issues you're going through...I was fortunate that my dealer had injectors in stock because those are apparently on backorder still.
They are not on backorder. Got my injectors done last week. They were ordered in the previous week. Seems like stock is getting available . To bad it's near end of the season for most.

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
It is a shame that customers are having to deal with these issues. I told the parts guy at my local dealer that I own more Arctic cats than they do. They have 2 alpha 600’s on the showroom floor. They carry Polaris and Doo as well. Plenty of inventory on those. Btw I own 6 cats, 3 proclimb and 3 ascender. I have talked to multiple dealers over the last 10+ years about Arctic cat and now Textron being difficult with regards to covering warranty issues. I know of one dealer that is going to discontinue their snowmobile line with Textron. It is unfortunate that with dealers and manufacturers that don’t understand or just don’t care about issues like the ones you are dealing with, they are killing a brand.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The biggest shame is that people are relating this to a Cat problem. This is the dealerships fault. They warrantied a chaincase that you broke? Thats awesome of Cat. Taking three weeks to warranty it? That has nothing to do with Cat, thats all the dealer. Cat responds in hours at the most (as long as the dealer has submitted all the info).
Every single part for the rear skid has been available. If its not, the new vehicle down program makes it available. Ive literally ordered every skid part in the last month and it was immediately available. Including a track (that Cat warrantied for missing lugs).

Your dealer is incompetent or screwing you. This is not Cats problem.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The biggest shame is that people are relating this to a Cat problem. This is the dealerships fault. They warrantied a chaincase that you broke? Thats awesome of Cat. Taking three weeks to warranty it? That has nothing to do with Cat, thats all the dealer. Cat responds in hours at the most (as long as the dealer has submitted all the info).
Every single part for the rear skid has been available. If its not, the new vehicle down program makes it available. Ive literally ordered every skid part in the last month and it was immediately available. Including a track (that Cat warrantied for missing lugs).

This is my thought as well. The dealer is trying to cover their rear end. I haven't had issue this year with anything I have ordered from Cat.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana

That is more reassuring but still I can’t understand why I call and talk with AC and they sound concerned to only never return a call or give me an update.
It’s also been 6 weeks as of today. 5 weeks since they told me they have ordered the parts for the chain case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Feb 28, 2016
I was told by my local shop that calling arctic cat direct would just piss them off which leads to not getting anything done fast. They would rather hear from the dealer what the problem is and what needs done so they can get the parts needed. Id be more upset with the dealer than cat. And selling to buy a different brand will only get you the same disappointment just different phone numbers to call..

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I was told by my local shop that calling arctic cat direct would just piss them off which leads to not getting anything done fast. They would rather hear from the dealer what the problem is and what needs done so they can get the parts needed. Id be more upset with the dealer than cat. And selling to buy a different brand will only get you the same disappointment just different phone numbers to call..

Darn, the dealership is the one who suggested I call. Even if AC is upset with me or don’t want to hear from me I don’t think not calling me back is acceptable.
I am doing my best to remain patient.

I am not trying to bash AC. I know I am most likely having a bad experience with a dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Cat dealers have to participate in the "no vehicle down" program to get the parts, obviously yours is not.

Premium Features