• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Polaris Assualt 144 HELP??

P
Hey,

This year will be my first time going out west to do some deep powder riding. I'm looking for some advice, I have a buddy who wants to take a 2016 Polaris Assault 144 with a 2" lug on it. Will that sled be okay for deep powder or will he be getting stuck to much?? We will be going to Wyoming.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If you go into the Polaris PRO-Ride section and in the search box on the right side type in "SBA" you will end up with about 390 threads of info on them.

I ride with a lot of guys on crossover sleds and it really depends on the snow type and rider experience on how well they do. I have seen them run great in the Tog Area in late winter with a bit more set-up snow and I have seen guys suffer on them on deeper powder days. But if you get a good/great rider on one they can usually get all the places they want to go. Having the 800 over the 600 helps too as the track speed is much faster.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I rode mine in the Bighorn twice.

I have the 2" Challenger on it and a Pro front end. I rode with a bunch of 155's and 163's. My riding skills are not the best. I got stuck quite a bit, but went everywhere all the others went.
I clutched mine exactly as the manual says and it ripped.
Tell him to cut the boards off of it and put on some good boards or he will be miserable.

The biggest factors are:What are the other guys in the group riding?
What type of riding does the group do?
Rider skill level is huge too.
If he's a total noob riding with a bunch of experienced guys on real mountain sleds who want to venture into parts unknown, he will probably hold them back some.

If the snow isn't super deep he should be okay.

Worst case , tell him to have a rental lined up in case the conditions are deep and fresh and the SBA won't cut it.

As far as crossovers go, I think the SBA is the most capable in the mountains.

My SBA is now my back up sled to my 163 Pro RMK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
meh 144 to 155 isn't that different. I've swapped back and forth between mine and my dads and I personally don't feel much difference, but I think for my dad the flotation is better for him. No matter what though both can go through the snow just fine even if there is 2-3 feet of fresh. I will say this though that if he is a heavier rider he might need the extra footprint to save himself some digging. More flotation = more forgiving riding.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Please define deep powder ?

If the snow is powder over 2-3 feet with an icy base you will be stuck all day.

Sticky snow will be okay but get stuck going slow or stopping up hill.

And since you asked about this I assume you are not used to deep powder ... over 3 feet of loose snow.

The weather has sucked recently ( are many not used to deep powder) BUT when it did do a deep 3 ft powder day all sleds get stuck 163" 155" BUT a 144" will be stuck a lot ... and not much fun IMHO

And you are gonna trailer from Pensylvania to Wyoming about 30 hours each way 1900 miles ? Fly there & rent

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Please define deep powder ?

If the snow is powder over 2-3 feet with an icy base you will be stuck all day.

Sticky snow will be okay but get stuck going slow or stopping up hill.

And since you asked about this I assume you are not used to deep powder ... over 3 feet of loose snow.

The weather has sucked recently ( are many not used to deep powder) BUT when it did do a deep 3 ft powder day all sleds get stuck 163" 155" BUT a 144" will be stuck a lot ... and not much fun IMHO

And you are gonna trailer from Pensylvania to Wyoming about 30 hours each way 1900 miles ? Fly there & rent

Yep, fly and rent would probably be the way to go if that is your distance each way with a trailer and chit. But I don't think the track being 11 inches longer will make that much difference. I'd like to think if you put me on the same machine as someone else(assuming similar skillset) I could go all the places they could, I'd just have to pick my route a little better and plan on hitting the steeper spots moving considerably faster. But you are probably correct if it is a crazy day that your using 100% of the throttle for long periods of time then you will be getting stuck quite a bit more.

SBA in the deep

I say take the sled. Especially if its your first time out west. You are gonna have a blast, no matter what you ride. The first two years i went out i was on a 02 600 edge with a 136x2. I got stuck a ton, and couldnt go where everybody else went but had the time of my life. The mountains are a truly humbling place, and getting stuck is just part of the experience. If its your first time out there make sure you have avy safety training and the proper safety equipment. ride to see another day. perhaps get a guide and be honest with them about your ability. And either way, This trip is gonna ruin all PA riding for you, I can guarantee that.

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Ive got a 144 2in... im 16 years old and would consider myself a pretty decent rider. The 144 will keep up just fine if you know how to ride a sled. I hung with 155's and 163's all day in 2-3 feet of deep dry powder. You just have to really plan out your lines and KEEP IT PINNED! :bounce::bounce::bounce: That sled is perfectly fine and capable.

Premium Features