• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009-2011 Diamond Drive Bearing Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
This is why I believe the machining is necessary. Seems like everyone is getting different instructions on what to do when they talk to BDX.

This is off my 2010 M8. This was the OEM single row bearing at 400 miles. Tap dancing on the mine-field as you can see.

Ordered up the 5203 double row from BDX and put it in without machining the track shaft. Everything went back together and fit perfectly, so I ran it for another 400 miles. Opened it back up just to check on things and found shinnies in the DD oil. I couldn't find anything that in the case that didn't look right. The new 5203 was still complete w/both seals in place, but this is what I found inside when i cut it apart. You can see the effects of the side loading on this inner race. This bearing would not have lasted much longer.

For this season, I have completely rebuilt the DD and replaced all the internal bearings as well as the caliper side bearings too. I have machined the .065" off of the DD end of the track shaft as recommended by BDX. My machinist told me the track shaft was some of the hardest material he has ever turned so I would certainly recommend taking it in to the pro's.

So is that recommend for all year M's? or just 2010's and up?

edit: given I did not bolt anything back together, I popped the DD cover off and got a straight-edge and placed it across the top of the shaft and bearing. There was no gap above the bearing....everything was flush so I can only conclude its good to go.

Last edited:
N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Ok, I'm sure I did something wrong because given the length of this thread and the talk of machining, cover issues, different tunnel widths etc, this job went very smoothly. I'm to the point the cover is placed back on the case but not bolted yet. It seems to be on there perfectly. I picked up a pittman arm puller to get the bearing off and then just used a hammer and the right sized socket to smack it on. With the shim removed, the new bearing seems perfectly flush with the top of the shaft. It went on pretty good too. I can't remember who had the great pics with instructions but thanks! That helped big time.

The bearing shouldn't be flush with the end of the shaft. The shaft should protrude 1/32" or so.

GUS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
South Dakota
There are some variables to every case. I just pulled down a 2010 M8 with a BD pump/gas turbo on it.....the DD bearing was intact. The only thing was the grease was totally washed out of the bearing and the seals were still in. So this is a case by case issue. We have done quite a few this fall and every one of the DD had the bearing out until this one. Check them out. That is the only way to be sure.

So in my case....we machine every one so the sun and planetary gears are lined up perfect....but the question I am thinking about now is "seals or no seals"????

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Seals or not, I've been wondering the same thing. Interesting the grease was washed out. Was the bearing dry or could you tell oil had gotten in there to help wash out the grease?

Here is a theory - the oem grease gets washed out, then the bearing cage fails. The failed bearing cage knocks out the seal. With the seal out, oil gets to bearings to help them last longer, though their life is limited at that point because the cage is shot.

Maybe there was a bad supply of oem bearings and thus explains why some fail and why cat is replacing with the same 6203.

Maybe the bearings shouldn't be sealed in the first place.

?

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
You big HP guys aren't the only one with bearing problems. Took the diamond drive apart in mama's 2010 M6 and found the bearing shot. Went to put a 4203 bearing in it and still had to machine .121" off of the shoulder to make the double row bearing fit right. This is a real joke on Arctic Cat's part. :face-icon-small-sad

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
I just helped a buddy go through his 2010 Xf 800, well it had less then 300 miles on it and the bearing was shot and the case was full of shavings. We brought it to BDX and had them machine the track shaft and we bought a new 5203 double row bearing.

2011-12-27165421.jpg

2011-12-27165413.jpg

2011-12-27105952.jpg

2011-12-27105805.jpg

2011-12-27105759.jpg

Last edited:

ilove2snowmobile

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2010
Highmore, SD
dd drive bearing

I have a 2011 M8 sno pro does this affect this model, I checked part #s for mine are ac-2602-108 and I belive the part # for the 2010 and 2009 were ac-1602-842 so did AC install a better brng or should I still be worried. Changed oil in the DD a month ago no shiney things in the oil. Just curious no one has mentioned the 2011 models and I hate to be stuck in the middle of nowwhere with a busted sled. leanin on tearin down and checkin the Brng just to be safe.:face-icon-small-dis

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
This is why I believe the machining is necessary. Seems like everyone is getting different instructions on what to do when they talk to BDX.

This is off my 2010 M8. This was the OEM single row bearing at 400 miles. Tap dancing on the mine-field as you can see.

DSCF0668.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

Ordered up the 5203 double row from BDX and put it in without machining the track shaft. Everything went back together and fit perfectly, so I ran it for another 400 miles. Opened it back up just to check on things and found shinnies in the DD oil. I couldn't find anything that in the case that didn't look right. The new 5203 was still complete w/both seals in place, but this is what I found inside when i cut it apart. You can see the effects of the side loading on this inner race. This bearing would not have lasted much longer.

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

For this season, I have completely rebuilt the DD and replaced all the internal bearings as well as the caliper side bearings too. I have machined the .065" off of the DD end of the track shaft as recommended by BDX. My machinist told me the track shaft was some of the hardest material he has ever turned so I would certainly recommend taking it in to the pro's.

Paranoia got the best of me so I flushed my DD today after a couple hundred miles on the new rebuild with the machined track shaft. I am happy to report the oil was clean and looked great. No metal or chrome this time.

ilove2snowmobile

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2010
Highmore, SD
dd drive bearing

All is ok in my 2011 M8 sno pro. No shiny things in oil, brng is smooth with no play and rolls free. Would halve changed it but didn't have brng and have t trip planed later this week. Will get new brng on hand and change it after the trip. The whole process took only 20 min real simple to check. Thanks to all who posted the great information you may not be my neighbor but you are all my friends.:present::tea:

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
All is ok in my 2011 M8 sno pro. No shiny things in oil, brng is smooth with no play and rolls free. Would halve changed it but didn't have brng and have t trip planed later this week. Will get new brng on hand and change it after the trip. The whole process took only 20 min real simple to check. Thanks to all who posted the great information you may not be my neighbor but you are all my friends.:present::tea:

I would have changed it expescially if you going on a trip, hopfully it will last. Good luck bud.

kozmo

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
IOWA
buddys 2011 M 8

I would have changed it expescially if you going on a trip, hopfully it will last. Good luck bud.

I 100% agree we took apart my buddies he just bought a use 2011 M 8 with 350 miles. the bearing was complete junk both seals had fallen off and the cage was hanging out sidways. we had the local machine shop take 1.5 mm off the shaft so that the 5203 would sit back where the other one came off. I know i am feeling better about it.

I would change it no matter what

D

diverdown

Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
2010 M8 Sno Pro 5203 Bearing Exchange

I ordered the 5203 and took apart my 2010 M8 Sno pro 162 432 miles. Original 6203 with the black seals was in great condition. Pulled seal cage and all bearings in place. I put on the 5203 and the cover went back on with a little tapping from rubber mallet. All screws went in none stripped. I haven't added oil yet. I was wondering should I take it back off and get it machined before adding oil and riding? The bearing does sit up quite a bit higher than original. I am worrying about about everything meshing correctly? But cover went on pretty easy. Ride it and see or take it off? After reading all these pages; starting to wonder if I should have got a 4203 with spacer or a 7203? Who has done this on a 2010 sucessfully? What to do snow is finally here and it is time to ride.

Thanks in advance for all the information

Diverdown

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Seals or No Seals

There are several people I know personally that are running with no seals, with no problems so far. One of them is a Turbo HCR that gets ridden hard every weekend. Don't believe it just because some fancy shop said so. There's lots of people on here that don't make a dime off anyone that likely know just as much about this kind of stuff as any shop.

One of BDX's posts in this thread is completely wrong. It may be just worded poorly, but its still wrong. Be careful.

I agree. Some of what BDX wrote in the past was wrong (same for my posts). And we all know most of what BDX said on this issue is correct. I take my hat off to BDX because they've done a lot of work to get this problem solved, including some of the very first work to identify defective (tight) tunnels. BDX has loyally supported Arctic Cat owners with great service and good products, to the best of their knowledge at the time. The small stuff we disagree about is like nit-picking. None of us are perfect or all-knowing. That's why we work together, to solve reliability root-cause issues. None of us has all the information or all the answers. In the end, we don't want to break down on a steep climb, or way out in the boonies.

My specific issues with prior BDX advice (remember this is nit-picking):

1. The Chinese Peer bearing BDX sells is definitely not the best quality 5203 bearing in the world. Everyone who knows about roller bearings knows the new 3203 series bearings are better than old-spec 5203 type bearings. Everyone also knows that SKF, FAG, NTN, and a few other brands make the best quality ball bearings in the world, with better metallurgy, tighter tolerances, better surface finish, better QC, and better packaging that Chinese bearings.

2. BDX promotes a sealed bearing which is continuing Arctic Cat's original mistake. All the talk about the 5203 bearing not getting enough oil due to it's location in the DD is nothing but silly, shade-tree-mechanic, BS in my opinion. The 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearing is in the bottom of the drive, submerged in synthetic oil! A bearing needs only 10 microns of oil film (1/10 human hair). Any more oil does damage due to a "plowing" effect (as researched by NASA). It would take hours of high-speed running in a hot and dry environment to blow out DD synthetic oil to less than 10 microns film thickness. If you don't believe me, look at the bearing posts in this thread, all of them talk of blown out seals and damaged cages (that's caused by heat from high-speed grease churning). Based on the posts in this thread, the sealed 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearings run better after they overheat and blow out the rubber seals. The bearing then gets relief from grease-churning heat, and they get good cooling from the DD oil. When your DD oil comes out black, that's an indication you've char-broiled the grease, blown out the rubber seals, and washed cheap, burnt Chinese grease into your expensive DD oil. Another problem is that Polyurea grease contaminates synthetic oil. Anyone who knows bearings and lubrication will tell you the lubricants should never be mixed, because they cross-contaminate (the sum is worse than either component). In another similar application, Ski-Doo tried to use sealed, greased crank bearings, with the same result: char-broiled grease after long-hard engine pulls. (Skidoo added water-cooling to the crank bearing area.) Grease is for slow speed, dirty applications, like down on the farm. Grease is NOT better for high-speed lubrication. Think of grease as oil with a contaminant in it (the soap thickener). The oil does the lubricating, not the soap thickener. The 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearing spins at 12,000 rpm - way too fast for grease! In industry, 1000 rpm is about the limit for grease. I've not seen any posts on these forums where a used DD transfer shaft bearing with seals was inspected with a) the factory seals intact and b) the grease intact - including my M8 and HCR. At best, the grease boils away and contaminates the DD syn-lube, and at worst the cage and seals blow out, contaminating your DD with charred grease, steel chunks and rubber bits. It's an obvious Mechanical and Lubrication Engineering error. And if it hasn't worked for anyone in several years of DD use, why do people keep using sealed bearings? It seems to be one of several Arctic Cat and BDX engineering screw-ups. Being a degreed Mechanical Engineer with 30 years experience, I feel qualified to evaluate their their design skills. (Side note: When I interviewed for an "engineering" job at the Arctic factory in Thief River Falls many years ago, I was amazed they did not have any degreed engineers on staff. Just a race team and draftsmen to draw up new parts. Their R&D Department was in the customers garage!)

3. BDX has talked about gear tooth misalignment after machining the transfer shaft. That is a valid concern, but it doesn't occur between the transfer gear and five planetary gears as BDX claims. Those gears are fixed in alignment by the aluminum DD housing and cover. After machining the transfer shaft, what moves is the DD output shaft with the outer ring gear, which is pushed into the DD gearbox, slightly offsetting the outer planetary gear mesh. As long as the ring gear doesn't rub the planetary frame or disengage the rubber lip seal, it's not a problem. The outer planetary gear mesh can probably take more horsepower than the inner gear mesh due to geometry, with much more tooth contact at the outer ring. A little offset a that location is not a problem, as long as no interference occurs. You could trim the width of the output shaft ring gear a small amount if needed to keep it from rubbing the planetary frame. I trimmed my M8 transfer shaft 0.040" (0.014 for the 3203 bearing and 0.026" for axial clearance) and it worked fine. Your machine, with different tunnel problems, will be different.

4. BDX told some people, without looking at their machine, they don't need to trim any shafts. Just install the wider 5203 bearing, and off you go! In some machines that will work, and in other machines it will make the problem worse. Every Arctic Cat tunnel has a different width, and some of the DD shafts, spacers, and drive shafts are different. There are also bearing width tolerances to consider - different brands of 5203/3203 bearings have slightly different widths. My SKF bearing is 0.002" wider than a BDX Peer bearing.

5. Update 5/12/2012: I removed a BDX sealed bearing (Peer, China) from my 2011 HCR. It was under severe axial pressure for about 700 miles due to my 0.120" too-narrow tunnel / too-long drive shaft. The BDX bearing and seals were intact, running smooth, and looked great, with about 1/1000" axial clearance. The new SKF 3203 bearing I installed has no axial clearance. Popped the seals off the BDX to inspect, and the factory grease was totally gone. Only DD syn-lube was in the bearing. Black sludge was everywhere inside the DD case - probably from the cheap, burnt Chinese factory-installed grease. That bearing must have run very hot when the rubber seals were new and it was full of grease. Probably boiled and charred the grease. Left heat-stress signs on the cage. Which is why I think seals on a gearbox internal bearing are dumb. As I said before, that bearing spins at 12,000 rpm when the clutches are maxed out - way too fast for grease!

Good luck. Knowledge is power! Very impressed with posts by bgreen776. In my opinion, he has identified and understands DD reliability issues more than anyone on this thread. If there is a controversy, I'd look for his posts and go with his advice.

Last edited:

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Originally Posted by UPjohn: For the 5203 to work on mine it was suggested from BDX to loosen the track shaft so I had enough clearance to close the cases, then tighten everything back together. I have heard negatives on this and I am not sold that is the answer.

bgreen776: Can someone please explain to me how that could possibly help this situation?

Can't see that anyone answered this question, so here's my take on it:

Loosening the track drive shaft bolt may affect reassembly because of angular misalignment. If the DD output shaft is held crooked by the track drive shaft and bolt, loosening the bolt may allow the DD output shaft to twist a little bit in the DD housing, and line up with the DD transfer shaft bearing during reassembly. There were clear signs on my 2011 M8 HCR that the DD output shaft was held cocked in the DD housing (forced by the flex in my too-narrow tunnel and/or too-long drive shaft). All that pushing and shoving caused spiral marks on the outside of the outer race of my DD output shaft bearing as it was held crooked during every ride - see photos.

If your DD is out of your machine and your DD cover will not close, you should trim your DD transfer shaft.

If your DD is bolted solid in your machine and your DD cover will not close (and it did close when out of the machine), your problem is that your DD output shaft is pushed into your DD by a too-long track drive shaft. Loosening the drive shaft bolt will not help you close your DD cover close. You can loosen the DD and/or brake assembly tunnel mounting bolts to get your tunnel to relax and make space for your DD cover to close. When you re-tighten everything, you will spring your tunnel and pre-load the 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearing. Not good.

In that situation, you should trim your track drive shaft. My 2011 M8 HCR required 0.0145" of trimming. I've seen other owners quote 0.045", 0.050", 0.055", 0.065", 0.075", 0.085", 0.090", 0.120", and 0.160", as measured or as instructed by BDX. Every machine seems to be different.

It's also possible that you need to trim both; your DD transfer shaft and your track drive shaft.

Good Luck!

PICT2861.JPG PICT2864.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features