• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical Harness Compatibility

S

Smo99

Feb 9, 2019
Bigfork, MT
www.trailtreker.com
I'm putting this out there, because I couldn't find this info online or even from a dealer or other mechanics in the know.

Thesis: You can use an older 2017 electrical harness with a newer 2019 motor. Gen 4 Skidoo 850.

We had an engine on our 2017 seize a rod bearing. Cracked the water jacket. Motor was not worth reworking. Bought a 2019 wrecked sled on auction with a working motor. 2017 never had SHOT start. 2019 did, but the capacitor was "shot". Dealers told me the harness part number was different between years, but none could tell me what changed. The local mechanic I use (who used to work for a dealer and has BUDS), told me "If it were me, I'd transfer the harness"--that scared me into going down the path of changing the harness.

But after pulling my hair out getting the donor sled apart to get the harness (in one piece), I decided to try the 2017 harness with the 2019 motor (without the SHOT capacitor installed). Let's just say that if the pressed in nuts that hold the gas tank on spin on you, you're in for a tough battle getting the tank off so you can get the harness out...ugh. I did transfer the ECU, oil pump and reservoir (easier that way to leave it all in tact); it should be noted that those should travel together as they are coded for each other. And you can lift out the motor with the oil pump and reservoir all bolted together.

We had to use BUDS to reset the chassis code to the ECU (chassis code is a four letter code in the VIN). Once we did that, the ECU was happy and everything works as it was using the 2017 harness with the 2019 motor/ECU. So I wanted to pass this on in case someone else was facing this. Hopefully my title will be searchable enough.

If that hadn't worked, I would have cut and spliced the wires going to the taillight. The rest of the harness isn't that bad to get out, but getting a tank off a sled that is 3-5 years old is hard as the bolts have likely oxidized in the nuts and mostly welded together making the pressed nuts turn in the aluminum tunnel. Why BRP doesn't put a simple connector between those sections, is beyond me. Having to pull the tank is a real bear.

Will the shot start work? My best guess is yes, but I don't have a good capacitor to test it with. The plug comes off the ECU, so that is 2019. The start/rev button is all the same. I also didn't transfer the chain case cover, so I'm unwilling to go much further. But my money is on "yes" it would work, but I can't confirm that for you.

Hope this helps someone!

B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
There was an updated wiring harness created after the 2017's were made too tight and had some rubbing issues. I believe it caused problems with the boost injectors.

S

Smo99

Feb 9, 2019
Bigfork, MT
www.trailtreker.com
There was an updated wiring harness created after the 2017's were made too tight and had some rubbing issues. I believe it caused problems with the boost injectors.
Good point. There was an issue with the harness on the boost injectors. Both of our 2017s experienced that. The dealer was given a "fix" to install on the boost injectors, but it didn't involve swapping the entire harness. The issue was that the connector was crimped so forcefully, that it actually cut the wire (which may have been too thin to begin with). In our case, we had that fix already in place (phew!). But that probably explains why the part numbers are different, yet it all works. Thx!

Premium Features