• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx Boost crank bearing failure, engine seized, crank seals backordered

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
I got my Boost back from my dealer after having the fuel socks, clutch bolt, and fuel tank recalls done mid-December and my engine seized on my first day out on 12/19. Crank bearing failed, engine seized, had to tow out on a crazy deep day up on Buff Pass. Dealer has warranty approval but Polaris is having them rebuild (vs sending out new bottom end). I've been all over dealer here in Denver and they are now saying they have all parts except the crank seals. Backordered from Polaris, no ETA, said they checked dealer network as well. Part numbers are 5417255 and 5417863. Anyone know if these are on a serious backorder or more readily available if I do some digging of my own?

Thankfully I've still have my trusty Axys 800. Boost was stock with a Diamond S and intake mod to help bogging. One thing after another....... Have read a few threads on crankshaft failure but hasn't been nearly as big of a headline as all the stop-rides. Curious if anyone else has had their Matryx 850 NA or Boost seize at low miles (400 miles). I've seen TRS post he has seen it a number of times under 1,200 miles or so. Boost was running so ****ty end of last season (even after doing fuel sock mod), I was riding the Axys more simply for reliability sake. Broke it in properly, it did run great of deep days for the first half of last season.... but here we are

C
Dec 14, 2020
Good luck. They're new enough they're just barely coming out of warranty and I doubt dealers are stocking many parts.

Try complaining to Polaris corporate and see if they can change it to a short block if they have them available?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Sorry about your boost. I have a 22' with 500 miles. Never had an issue and runs great. Most fun I've ever had on a sled, ever.

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
Good luck. They're new enough they're just barely coming out of warranty and I doubt dealers are stocking many parts.

Try complaining to Polaris corporate and see if they can change it to a short block if they have them available?

Thx, my dealer hooked me up with 4 extra years of warranty when I bought it so I'm covered long term but that doesn't help with downtime.

Good idea on contacting corporate to push for a short block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Nov 10, 2013
Interesting. My boost has been at the dealer getting the crank seals replaced because they were found to be leaking during the service for the recalls. When replacing the crank seals, they discovered piston damage and replaced the pistons as well.

Sled seemed to run fine before hand. Only 300 miles on the machine.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Polaris parts lookup now shows which dealers have stock. You can sort by closest dealers to you, or have it just show dealers with availability. It shows that Carl’s Cycle in Boise, ID has the mag side, and the dealers in Kelowna BC and Golden BC have the mag and pto side in stock.

I’m not sure if it is truly searching all of North America, or if it’s just a certain radius. I tried setting my location as a few different US states and came up with the same results.

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
Interesting. My boost has been at the dealer getting the crank seals replaced because they were found to be leaking during the service for the recalls. When replacing the crank seals, they discovered piston damage and replaced the pistons as well.

Sled seemed to run fine before hand. Only 300 miles on the machine.

Sounds like they caught it went/fully seized. Mine was running super weird my last day of last season so I wasn't totally surprised.

Glad they caught yours so you were stranded

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
Polaris parts lookup now shows which dealers have stock. You can sort by closest dealers to you, or have it just show dealers with availability. It shows that Carl’s Cycle in Boise, ID has the mag side, and the dealers in Kelowna BC and Golden BC have the mag and pto side in stock.

I’m not sure if it is truly searching all of North America, or if it’s just a certain radius. I tried setting my location as a few different US states and came up with the same results.

Good to know, service manager actually called me back on Friday and polaris shipped them out, arriving Tuesday, sled will be up and running before next weekend. Was going to check some of the bigger dealers in BC.

Service manager said they did check all dealers that have the same software as them (think it was limelight or something can't remember).

He did confirm that the crankshaft part # has been updated so likely a new revision.

Premium Features