• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado 4m Ride update 11/27/07

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C
Sep 18, 2003
Keenesburg CO
Colorado 4m Ride update 11/30/07

Transfering this thread to the new forums.

5th AnnualColorado Snowest 4m Ride
Gunnison Colorado (riding Irwin area)
February 16-17-18
Saturday Dinner-Gunnison Rodeo Grounds all purpose building, tenatively catered by 5B's. I will be requesting input on menu shortly.
Sunday Dinner- Grill-your-own, we will provide a hot grill. Tenatively schedualed for Ohio Creek parking lot
Lodging-
1) camping in Ohio Creek lot
2) discount lodging from Waterwheel Inn (make sure you tell Dr. Jim you are with the Snowest ride)
3) Owner of the Super 8 and Quality Inn offered rooms at $50 and $55 respectively. The Quality Inn has a pool and hot tub which members staying at either hotel are welcome to use. Plenty of trailer parking available.
www.choicehotels.com/hotel/co074
www.the.super8.com/gunnison03152

Riding-Irwin area will the main riding area, other areas are close by (pm if you want info). The Irwin area trails are maintained by the SnoTrackers (http://www.snotrackers.com/ has some good info). Elevation ranges from 8-11,000 feet I believe. Avalanche gear is a good idea if you are going to be doing any climbing. Great boondocking and jumping to be found. Temps can be cold in the mornings (don't have summer blend in your diesels).

Again, I'll update as more info is available. Hope for lots of snow, and I can't wait. :)

Last edited:

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
Below is Original Post from the "Old" forum

It's getting close to time to start heading to the hills and details of the 5th Colorado Snowest 4m Ride are coming together. I will update this thread on all relavant details as they become final:

Firm details:
1) Date: Feb 16-17-18 2007
2) Location: Gunnison Colorado, ride in the Irwin area.
(Side rides also available: Black Mesa, Arrowhead, Taylor Park, Monarch Pass)
3) Rides: Have several people who will be leading groups. There are all terrain levels available, easy trail rides, easy boondocking, easy climbing, GPS required boondocking, holy @$#* hillclimbing, jumping... We will be riding from two places, the Ohio Creek parking lot north of Gunnison and the Kebler Pass lot from Crested Butte. Both go to the same area. HAVE YOUR STICKERS!!!
4) Saturday Dinner: All that is firm at this point is that there will be one. The cost will be determined in the near future, and will have signups when everything is firm.
5) Sunday dinner: Planning a "grill your own", we'll provide a hot grill and some beer.
6) Raffle: We will be having a raffle with proceeds going to Colorado Snowmobile Association to help the fight to save riding lands.

There are sled rentals available in Crested Butte for those who may need them, working with a couple dealers and should have a parts contact on call on Sunday if anybody needs parts. Also a chance we may have some demo sleds available for those who want to try out a new sled. Should be a great weekend, can't wait to get the rest of the details together and get to riding. I'll update this posting as details are set.

11/16/07 update:
Waterwheel inn is offering us a group discount. Everyone will get 15% off if we get 5 rooms filled, 20% off with 10 rooms filled. The hotel includes a breakfast buffet (I was told biscuits and gravy...not just cereal). Standard prices are $69 per night. http://www.waterwheelinnatgunnison.com/, Toll-Free 1-800-642-1650
Local (970) 641-1650, Tell them you are with the Snowest ride.

At this time, we can't confirm it will be ok to camp on the trailhead. Has been possible in the past, but a no camping rule may be enforced this year. Working on a place as near the trailheads as possible, and some great locals are working on getting an OK for camping at the Kebler trailhead.

Nitrous refills may be available, I have someoneone checking, it was available in the past (at the muffler shop of all places...).

Almont lodge is offering cabins for $100 per night. PM Gunniapexrider for info, I'll post when I know more.

We'll know before Thanksgiving where/when/what dinner will be for Saturday night. Looking like it's going to be in the $30 per person range for food/drinks/dining hall.

I'll set a deadline (depends on who is doing the food) for signup for the banquet, and of course the raffle to benefit CSA will be open to all.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
We should make a cheat sheet for the Hotel with real names and screen names. That way you can ask to buzz beergut or verticaledge69 at 1am and they will know what the heck you are talking about.

B

beer gut

Nov 2, 2004
Centennial, CO
We should make a cheat sheet for the Hotel with real names and screen names. That way you can ask to buzz beergut or verticaledge69 at 1am and they will know what the heck you are talking about.

Yeah, like we are ever gonna be in bed by 1 am.:p

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
At 1am Allan will be on the way back from the ER if its anything like last year....LOL...Sorry could nto resist.

For the record, I was back in time for the party:mad: But with my mishaps the last few years, I guess it will take some time to live it down:eek:

Thanks for locking this at the top Big D.... Now all will see it every DAY:D

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
VE69, did you over train in years past? Thats to say, "too many 12 curls" or was it a case of bark poisoning? These Colorado trees are highly mobile in the right curcumstanes(sp?).

Sorry to ask you to relive what sounds like painful memories.
Are there pictures?

Last years incident was caused by a big @ss hole in the hill. Tried to plow through it and got thrown off balance. Tried to save, but lost traction and caught the knee on the running brd, cut it wide open...... Could actually see the knee cap.... DO have pics, but maybe a bit to graphic for here....

Joe Mama's just jealous, cuz chicks dig scars:D

C
Nov 30, 2007
crested butte CO
first good snow

We have one foot of wet sticky snow on the ground here in town, and its still dumping. Irwin area typicall gets at least twice as much as town, so we should be building a good base out there.
firstsnow003.jpg

firstsnow002.jpg

firstsnow001.jpg

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I rode up at Irwin for a couple of hours this morning.
About a foot to a foot and a half - heavy/ wet stuff.

Mostly roads as there isn't a lot of cover off trail yet.

Glad it's snowing!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I've never ridden DTC - what's it like?

I did ride Wash Park a few years back.

;-)

If we get decent snow after I get a sled, i fully intend on taking my sled to work one day. I'll let you know when I do :D

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
It is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet out there!

Rode near Irwin on Sunday 12-02-07. There were 7 of us out together and we all agreed that there was a solid 40 inches in the parks we rode in. It was like a mid season ride. Outstanding day!!!:D

Premium Features