• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exercising for snowmobiling?

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get into shape for snowmobiling season this year.

I do about 20-30 minutes on a elliptical about 2 days a week. Yeah it's not much but I really hate exercising and it took me awhile to find something that I don't hate as bad and I can stick to.

I do try to stay active at home and work also -moving feed around at work and riding horses, etc. My weight is right were it should be, just feel like I would ride better if I had stronger core and shoulder muscles.

Any ideas?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Depends what you're trying to do. Get stronger, work some weight lifting into the routine a couple days a week. Increase stamina on the hill, do more cardio. For me, I need to increase stamina at elevation because I get winded pretty easily. What that comes down to is increasing the volume of oxygen your lungs can process. I have to train at low elevation where there is a lot of O2 so when I hit the hills I struggle. Last year I did a heavy interval cardio workout with a backpack and 25lb plate in it. I'd get my heart rate up to where it needed to be for a cardio workout, then go full bore as fast as I could for 1 minute. Then slow back down to your normal pace you would normally maintain (recovery) for 1 minute. When that gets easier, increase the full bore exercise time to minute and a half, 1 minute recovery time. As much as it sucks, it's not too bad if you keep yourself distracted from watching the timer on the elliptical.

I've also found that a heart rate monitor (for me) has helped to make my training sessions more effective. It allows me to know where I'm at for my target heart rate for cardio. I'm sure there are tons of other ways to get into shape, that's just what I do. It also helps if you have the ability to train at elevation...which I don't...

EDIT: here's a few links of interest, while not completely on topic, the same general idea can be drawn from each. CARDIO!!

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/carmichael-20080506.html

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/published/low-altitude-training-for-high-altitude-climbing

http://www.drmirkin.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=139

http://www.backpacker.com/backpacking_101_four_week_fitness_plan/skills/12146

Last edited:
U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
I agree that cardio is a very important aspect to sledding, if you cant breath it can make for a very long hard day. But I have also noticed that bulking up a bit helps ten fold when it comes to tossing the sled around in the powder... Not to mention how big of a difference it is to have enough strength to get yourself (and/or your buddies) unstuck. I tend to add about 15-20 pounds between hunting and sledding seasons. I have found that building the shoulders and arms is very key, as well as the core muscles. Leg strength can be a great asset when youre in chest deep powder. While on the hill I drink alot of water and gatoraid, it helps a ton when it gets later in the day and youre tired.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado
ditto the above, cardio & water
i shoot for 3/4 to a gallon of water per day
i only go to the gym twice a week, but make it worth my time
i have a trainer for now, VERY intense, similar to P90X or targeted intensity workout

very worthwhile.. but you must stick with it into sledding or it'll fade off

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I don't really remember having much of an issue of breathing while riding, will up the cardio though. 3 days a week is all I can do but I can up the time I spend.

Mostly I guess I'm looking to try avoid my body (arms, shoulders, gut, etc) beginning so tired that it is an issue trying to run the throttle and keep the sled on the trail on the way back. Or my arms shaking so bad that I can't hold the camera still, etc.

Is there a certain type of machine or exercise that I need to do that would strengthen everything without bulking me up too much? I do have some muscle and my arms aren't real girlish anyway :rolleyes:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
easy...i hate the gym..so buy dirtbike..ride 4-5 times a week till ur puffin like a steam engine....fun and helps keep balance up 2..but not that road stuff goat path ect and I have found a few new sled areas this way

Being in the army has helped me stay in shape but the biggest thing I have noticed that helps with riding is cardio I dont think its possible to ever do too much cardio. If you ride hard your gonna get stuck (even the best riders get stuck) and you have to be able dig your self out with out going to the E.R. afterwards for cardiac arrest. I think Cardio and do sit ups and push ups in the morning will help any rider get better shape. Eating healthy now and when you are riding is key factor as well.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Is there a certain type of machine or exercise that I need to do that would strengthen everything without bulking me up too much? I do have some muscle and my arms aren't real girlish anyway :rolleyes:

You might want to look into a rowing machine. It will help with your cardio, and strengthen your back & shoulders with only 1 exercise. Alot of motorcross riders use it over any other machine.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I hit the weights 4-5 times a week, and cardio 2-3 times....not as muchas I need to, but it keeps me in shape.

I think everyone should be lifting, I can't tell you how many times the increase strength, stronger tendons that come with lifting, have probably saved me from injury from sudden jolts and that on a sled.

K
Nov 27, 2007
Lynnhood
Steph,

Chubby said and I'll add my bit... your gym is probably hiding the rowing machine - find it! Rowing will improve your cardio and strenthen your legs, arms, and back. But first, go to the www.concept2.com/ website and learn the correct rowing form. When you row don't move the tension adjuster down to 10. It should feel easy to pull - I normally row with it at about 3.

Do core exercises for sure. If you are only doing cardio and core work now and want to add just one more thing do Power Cleans (http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/Exercise_Technique/power_clean.htm). Start with just the bar and work on getting the form right. Once you get the form right you'll know whether you need to add weight to the bar.

I'd also say do the classics: Pull-ups (most gyms have a pull-up machine that assists so you're not doing a full body weight pull-up), Push ups, and Lunges.

When you get bored in the gym go out to the garage and roll your sled from one side the other;):beer;

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
Rows, cardio and legs. I ride my bike towing my two girls in a trailer 3-4 days a week, and have a adjustable height strap that I do everything from rows, pull ups, abs and push ups on. And single leg hops on a box hopping over a bar that is roughly seat height to build explosive power for hopping from rail to rail on the sled. The rows really help the most I would say as when my foot slips off the rail I have the strength to pull myself back up to the bar for another drink, I mean to get my feet back on the boards:D Saves me alot of times from disaster!

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
snomanx hit a good point.
i like to do strength training just to avoid injury. makes bones stronger and tendons stronger. i enjoy lifting 3 times a week
i need to start cardio training though

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I love cardio with a heart rate monitor. I put mine on and run hills until I get my HR to 170 and then I see how long I can maintain it.....usually not long.

Since I'm dinasaur I'm not really trying to build muscle so I just do light wights at anywhere to 30 to 50 reps just to focus on range of motion and confirm the body can still perform some basic movements. I got into the light weight/high rep thing a few years back coming off shoulder surgery and I have stayed with it not wanting to reinjure the ol' shoulder and I like the major burn from high rep excercise.

I think all this helps for sledding but sometimes I dont know as it can be Wednesday before I recover from a full day sledding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As a founding member of the "Old Fat Guys Club" I am working on taking OFF the pounds first and foremost.

6ft, 46 years old, 247lbs.
Got started about 4 weeks ago with just simple daily walking.

I am walking 4.5-6 miles a day now, and am down to 237, with a first goal of 225.

About 5 years ago I made it down to 194, but that required SERIOUS food control, in the form of a very low carb lifestyle. Moved up here to Idaho and put all the weight back on in 2 years time.

My problem is that I am a "Keyboard Jockey" and spend my entire day sitting here in front of the computer. The most exercise I get is going up and down the stairs from one floor to the other, or out to lunch! So now I spend an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening out doing laps.

As a few more pounds come off the walking will progress back into Jogging.

I have found this to be of great value to me.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349#

cf-lg.jpg

It knows my Age, Gender, Height and Weight.
Then with the onboard GSP computes my horizontal and vertical distances traveled, measures my heart rate, then then tells me calories burned.

Its been a usefull tool thus far.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
X2 on the power cleans !

That and bench are my 2 favorite lifts to do. But with cleans (power or hang) will help tremendously with strength and explosiveness in your shoulders. I do this lift so much my record still stands at Great Falls High, 255 pounds (sorry for bragging, I just had to through that in there)

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get into shape for snowmobiling season this year.

I do about 20-30 minutes on a elliptical about 2 days a week. Yeah it's not much but I really hate exercising and it took me awhile to find something that I don't hate as bad and I can stick to.

I do try to stay active at home and work also -moving feed around at work and riding horses, etc. My weight is right were it should be, just feel like I would ride better if I had stronger core and shoulder muscles.

Any ideas?

I had to dig pretty hard to find this.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49827

May be old but still funny as hell!

How to prepare yourself for Snowmobiling

1. Go to your local snowmobile repair shop, smile and give the first guy you

see $200. This will get you used to spending money there on a regular basis.

2. Fill a 50-gallon barrel with sand. Lower it into a hole. Now lift it out.

If you can, add water to the sand and try it again. Do this 5 times per day.

This will get your back in shape for lifting your sled out of the deep snow.

3. Tie a rope to a heavy-duty spring. Pull the rope repeatedly with each arm

until the pain in your shoulders meets somewhere in middle your back. This

will get you in shape for starting your buds sled, which he conveniently

forgot was out of gas.It's best to do this exercise while someone is

spraying starting fluid into your nose and eyes also.

4. Drink four ounces of cod liver oil mixed with a strong laxative. Dress

with long underwear, wool pants, snowmobile bibs, insulated boots and heavy

coat. Walk far into the woods without any paper products and wait for a

personal emergency. This get you prepare for the Beer s***s that come out of

nowhere, and at the wrong time.

5. Place your hands in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes. Put the

carburetor from your lawn mower in the bottom of your deep freeze.Now climb

in the deep freeze, shut the lid and overhaul it while holding a pen light

in your mouth. This gets you prepared to work on your sled in the freezing

cold and black of night. Advanced riders do this with a leatherman tool

7. Dress up in your new $350 snowmobile bibs. Pour 2 stroke oil down the

right leg, gasoline down the other and Peppermint Schnapps and Beer all

over the front. Fill your boots with ice cubes and ask your wife or

girlfriend to dance. This will prepare her for the stops at the local bar

after a ride.

8. Put on a Balaclava and a full-face helmet. Attempt to drink hot chocolate

through the opening. Advanced riders attempt this while riding a lawn

tractor over in the nearest farmers' field.

9. Find a place where you can pay $4.50 a gallon for regular gas; $19.99

per quart of oil; $16 for a hamburger and frozen French fries; $3 for a coke

and $160 to sleep in a cold cabin on a bed with springs sticking through the

mattress. Stay for two nights, minimum. This will prepare you on the high

cost of your future winter trips.

10. Practice explaining to your banker why you need another loan for a

$60,000 truck to pull the four $20,000 toys, in your $19,000 trailer that

you still owe $50,000 on.

Now, you are 50% ready, and somewhat conditioned to head for the trails and

ride your sled.

Premium Features