• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 4k Miles Preventetive and required Maintenance

B
Nov 28, 2016
Bozeman MT
Posted over in HCS, but thought the fellas over here might be able to lend a hand also.

Thanks

Just picked this up for my lady. 4000 miles on it and kind of beat.

I'm not sure what the maintenance history was on it, but judging by the spark plug about to fall out of it, it might not be so great.

So far, here's what I have done:

-Power Valves taken out and cleaned
-Clutches taken out and cleaned with alcohol and scotch bright
-Diamond Drive taken out and flushed twice and reinstalled with about 14oz of amsoil 75w90 "high performance" or something
-Spark plugs checked, will replace
-plan on lubing chassis (front and back)
-Checked for loose suspension connections (there were a few)

Thought about throwing a new topend in it, but it doesn't stall out when going into reverse...would it if it was low compression?

Tried to narrow up the front, but the dag gone metal bushing would not move in the spindle. tried C clamp and socket with map gas and penetrator...no movement. Any tricks there?

The handlebars have a lot of slop due to flexing at the tunnel. Kind of scares me. Cant limp it home if you cant steer

Also, one of the handgrip heaters doesn't work, I can't imagine that's too tough, but haven't researched yet.

What other things to check?
Preventative maintenance?
Suspension setup for pow riding 130# girl?

Thanks all!

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
pull the Y pipe, look at the pistions for powervalve scuffing, and blow by. even though it doesn't stall going into reverse (that is a doo thing, not a cat thing)... it can still be a ticking time bomb. just did a top end in my 09 m8 this week, with rk tek head, and shim for more umph.

last year the wife's 09 m8 went down, no warning at just over 4000 miles, lost a few weeks riding, during prime time. that is why I did my top end, this year, pre-season.

bdx makes an updated stiffener for the steering post. good luck, they are good sleds. Ski

Premium Features