• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre-Season Gut-Check + Questions for an '11 Ski-Doo Rev XP PTek

S
Mar 29, 2022
Bend, Oregon
I've been backcountry snowmobiling for 2 years and in that time I've noticed an approach to snowmobiles which is buy them, then break them or sell them before they break, and then get a new one. I am an avid DIY automobile mechanic, so that mentality just really doesn't sit well with me. A saying that has always stuck with me is "engines don't just die, they are killed". That is my $0.02 but I am curious to see what other riders here who do their own maintenance or have lots of sled experience think.

I am getting ready to do my pre-season work on my '11 Ski-Doo Rev XP PTek which has ~3,500 miles on it. Lots of that is trail riding for backcountry ski access, and lots of that is powder riding/sidehilling/etc. Not much fully pinned hill climbing.

My questions/check-list:

- Compression is just under 90 PSI on both cylinders, the internet tells me that this is low and that I am due for a top-end rebuild. When I got this sled 2 years ago, it was the same PSI and I took it to a local non-dealer mechanic everyone swears by and he said the compression was totally fine. It rides like a monster still and only very occasionally won't go into reverse but that doesn't happen very often. I am inclined to not do a top-end rebuild as I haven't seen any degredation of pressure over the last 2 seasons and the sled still rips. Am I risking piston slap when running at temp? Any others issues I may be getting myself into?

- I am going to add IsoFlex grease to the crank side bearing which I have seen recommended numerous times as this seems to be the main failure mode for these engines. This is right around the time I should be doing this job and not doing it can be catastrophic.

- Replacing my fuel filter, fuel pickup, cleaning my carbs, and checking reed valves. Replacing spark plugs. Ensuring adequate fuel delivery will only help extend the life of this engine.

- Lack of oil delivery could certainly kill this thing, are there any components I should replace on the oil delivery side of things as good insurance?

- Coolant flush, chaincase oil replacement, grease the skid.

- Replacing front end components, there is a lot of slop in my ski bushing, tie rod ends, other connecting front end hardware, etc.

- For whatever reason I am not getting power to the grip heaters, can I directly hardwire this with a switch from my stator or some other 12V source? Any recommendations?

Things I did last season:

- Replace a broken motor mount and align the clutches.

- Replace my throttle cable (holy crap was that a pain).

Any insights, comments, or recommendations are very much appreciated!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well you sir, are someone I would listen to. Thanks for the heads up. Cautious I will be, maybe I'll do my work and then sell it? Maybe I'll do my work and then just see what happens....
if it was "ME"..
I would pre-emptively do the top end.
But I just do NOT want to be stranded in the back country.
So its a matter of risk avoidance.

if your cylinder pressure remains STRONG, then you just might get away with even more miles.!!

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
IDK the motors in that era. I had been running 2002's up to the time I got a new 850, and that seems to be a whole different animal.

But if there was one weak point in the 2002 motors, it was without a doubt - the greased bearings.

I pulled the seals out and drilled the jugs like old skewl and that solved my bearing issues.
I tied it up at least 2wice before going the drilled jugs route.

I have no clue if that is an option for the newer motors or not?
But if you have greased bearings, I would for sure take it apart and shove some grease in there!

If I didn't go the drilled route, I was also thinking about drilling and tapping a 1/4" pipe plug in the bottom of the case so that I could shove some grease in there every cpl years w/o splitting the motor.
IDK if anyone's done that or not.

90# sounds awfully low to me.
At what altitude are you running this check?

Up to 150# should be good.
I've had 2 strokes quit starting when they git that low.

Premium Features