• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 2s snobikes impressions???

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I have ridden the big four stroke and now am sticking with the 300 for the BIG reason, or reasons it doesn't have a fuel pump, map sensor, injector, cylinder head temp sensor, air intake sensor, wires running everywhere,ect. And you don't have to take it to the Ktm hospital to figure out what's wrong. My Lectron equipped ktm 300 goes everywhere everyone else goes and I am 240. If your FI bike runs...I am happy for you. wHEN that light comes on in the back country......been there, done that

Yesterday.. my friend on his turbo 15' KTM 450.. still haven't figured it out. Poor guy.
upload_-1.jpg

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I didn't state it correctly, my 450 is EFI. I'm saying if somone like myself were to switch to a 2s platform because they like the 2s motor better how would a person make it reliable and easily tunable for elavation changes?
My maintenance is strict on my bike also, I'm not saying I'm not confident with my setup. Just seems to less things to go wrong with a 2s. I'm not sure if you have but I've paid for top end rebuilds on both 2 and 4s. Much rather pay for a 2s build especially if you have to get into the valves on 4s.
Back to topic! :face-icon-small-hap

You just need to run a lectron or smart carb and it's game over for temperature and elevation tunning. They take a bit to get set up but once they are dialed the do better than the efi systems out there. With my smart carb I have ran from 3000 to 12000ft in the same week without touching anything and have got the same plug reading and egts. I had one four stroke ktm and when it needed a top end and valve train after one snow season I promptly sold it and went back to 2 strokes! Haha

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
I tried the smarty, actually 3 different one and for some reason they all over temped when setting the needle to idle right. Put a lectron on and had to go with the 3-4 needle to get the midrange grunt of the smarty but now have a simple power jet that you lean or richen with a turn of a screw but from down low to up high I havnt had to touch it in 70 hours of riding.

Last edited:
M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I know you had bad luck with your smarty but I also know a lot of people that have had really good results from them.. My 40mm has 250hrs on it right now, the first 30 were spent tuning it and everything I changed to make it work they come with now. So in the last 220hrs the only thing I have done is turn it 5 clicks leaner for dirt to clean up the bottom end a little bit. Full pulls for 2-3 minutes I see 1250 degrees. I'm not taking anything away from the lectron either, they work good. They are both worlds ahead of the stock carb I have on my girlfriends 300, I'm still fighting it. We ride from 4500 to 9000ft and there is just no way to make it work good everywhere, it's getting a lectron on it.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I tried the smarty, actually 3 different one and for some reason they all over temped when setting the needle to idle right. Put a lectron on and had to go with the 3-4 needle to get the midrange grunt of the smarty but now have a simple power jet that you lean or richen with a turn of a screw but from down low to up high I havnt had to touch it in 70 hours of riding.

I would agree with a Lectron or Smarty... I think the Lectrons are more dialed and they are willing to make a rod that will work if you give them time for your application. I have about 200 hours on each and both have their advantages... Either one has been an upgrade from a regular carb for greater consistency through the the year in temp and elevation... For me the biggest downside is the Cold starting ..... Even more on the smarty... Adding a primer on both bikes solved the issue immediately... On both once set I never really touch again.... The smarty took a little longer to get to that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Agreed, I have a 38mm Lectron on my 300 and only tuned the first 2 rides. Have ridden from 1500 to 10,000' and no ajustments. Blows me away. cold starts are good too, one problem is the choke freezes down sometimes but i just put gas on my prefilter and starts right up. only need choke for the first start on the day anyhow.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
As I have learned in life, run what you want. I have heard of the guys that have had good luck with there smartys and am very happy for them. I tried them enough to figure out the flat needle design works, therefore I am glad I tried them. I just kept having over temp issues at wide open with a cast on my gas gas, a 38 then 40 on my ktm, and a 40 on my kx 500. The gas gas was set up by Randy on here and he had no over temp issues when he ran it he made me aware of so either I am to heavy, or the air is different in Washington than Montana?? I don't know. I do know I have installed a lectron on my 300 ktm to try and get my over temping issues under control and have had zero 1350-1400 egt pulls since. I also have had no sticking balls restricting fuel flow from the float bowl, no having to change float seats to increase flow ect. The only thing I did was installed a 3-4 needle in my lectron, which they had me 1/2 turn from perfect on the recommendation setting, and now enjoy the flat needle performance with the feature of richening up the top end with a simple turn if a screw, all at a smaller cost. So no bashing, just what I did. If it help someone....great

Premium Features