• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken primary spring

O
Dec 6, 2007
My sled broke the primary spring. I went to ride yesterday, opened the side cover to add oil and found one turn of my spring lying in the pan.

I have broken the spider on an Cat clutch, never really seen a broken primary spring, especially with only 1000 miles on it.

So, do I pull the clutch and go through the whole thing? Replace the spring, make my last 3-4 rides of the season and then go through it? I haven't puuled the cover yet but, anything specific to look for?

The sled never see's steady throttle so I know the spring gets a workout but jeez, 1000 miles?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Same thing happened to me at about 900 miles on my 2012. I think Polaris got a batch of bad springs or something. Threw in a Team green spring and have had no problems since.

Just take the cover plate off, clean things up a bit, check for any major issues, throw on a new spring and ride.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Really common. Usually from the spring digging in and binding. Haven't had one break since I put in a delrin washer but I still keep a spare around. I file the sharp edge off the spring end also.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
I lost a spring on my 2013 SBA at 800 miles. The spring broke in two places, the first coil on each end. Looked over the clutch and everything seemed to be fine the spring cups did not show that much wear from running the remainder of the day with the broken spring. Installed a new one have just about 400 more miles on the machine so far so good.

B
Mar 20, 2013
My spring on my 13 Pro rmk went at 400km, or maybe sooner only noticed when I was changing to SLP blue/pink, and I've put 700km on the SLP with no issues.

Premium Features